Viking Rhine Getaway question

2045jim

My wife and I are interested in booking the Rhine Getaway cruise with Viking.

How the day starts is important to us, and we'd like to know when tours are scheduled to leave the ship, etc.

It would be a great help in our decision making if someone could give us an idea of the daily time schedule. I've searched Viking's website but can't find anything more specific than the cruise itinerary.

I realize of course that sometimes circumstances beyond anyone's control effect plans, and timetables need to be adjusted.

Hi 2045jim,

We were on the Viking Sun this past November, sailing from Basel to Amsterdam. Not sure if the times will be the same if sailing from Amsterdam to Basel, but here are the times from the Viking Daily that I saved from our trip:

Breisach: 8:30-12:30 - Black Forest bus tour

Strasbourg: 8:30-12:30 - City tour

Mannheim/Heidelberg: 8:30-12:45 - Bus to Heidelberg

Rüdesheim: set sail at 8:00, immediately sailing the stretch of the Rhine with the castles

Cologne: 9:30-11:30 - City tour

Kinderdijk: morning sailing, arriving at 2:00pm

Breakfast started at 7:00am every morning.

Not sure how much different it would be sailing from Amsterdam, but I'm sure you'll have the same early starts. Maybe someone who has done that direction can supply more info. Hope this helps!

Tim

How the day starts is important to us, and we'd like to know when tours are scheduled to leave the ship, etc.

It would be a great help in our decision making if someone could give us an idea of the daily time schedule. I've searched Viking's website but can't find anything more specific than the cruise itinerary.

I realize of course that sometimes circumstances beyond anyone's control effect plans, and timetables need to be adjusted.

Dad and I did it last July, the previous way around to the last poster. So ...

Embarkation day Amsterdam, sailed that evening

Sailing next morning, short lecture on holland and dykes

Arrive kinderdyke approx 11 am walking tour to take as long or as short as you want really. Can do it on your own. Ship left about two pm, sailed rest of day.

Arrive Cologne during night, walking your about two hours from nine am Ish, then did our own thing that day.

Left Cologne late thst evg, about midnight

Arrived at Koblenz early next am. Left ship about nine am for the tour to castle, name escapes me. Lasted about two, three hours. Dad stayed in the ship as it sailed to Braubach where the castle tour people rejoined. Left about midday, and sailed down Rhine gorge all pm. Arrived Rudesheim about four pm Ish. Had three, four hours there to do own thing. Left about nine or ten pm.

Arrived at Mannheim next am. Heidleberg trip, left about nine Ish and returned about one pm Ish. Ship sailed in our absence to Speyer where we rejoined it. There wa a walking tour about 3 pm Ish but we were shattered and didn't partake. Back on board about sixish for those who did it, and then sailed.

Arrived at kehl I think it was for Strasbourg. Tour left about nine ish and back just after one, but you could stay in town longer if you wished, I think. We didnt, came back to boat for lunch and then walked along the pretty gardens and over the pedestrian bridge. Sailed in the late pm.

Arrived Breisach. Tour for Black Forest left about eight thirty and back about one pm. We then did tour at two pm to Colmar and back about six.

Arrived next am at Basel. Hope thst helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Have just booked this cruise for next June.

Based on our recent Viking cruise experience, you can board the ship in the afternoon and have access to your stateroom after 3 pm-ish. I've read there is usually a light lunch available for early arrivals. The itinerary notes a "welcome walk". From the itinerary it states the ship sails through the night, so departure might be early evening/during dinner.

Re arrival in Amsterdam, the itinerary states the ship arrives after midnight Day 7.

Edited by TravelBugM

As far as mornings on a Viking River cruise, in our experience on Viking river cruises, you may arise any time you'd like or request a wake-up call as in a hotel. Coffee and pastries are available outside the lounge starting about 6:00 am. A complimentary Tai-Chi or Yoga-style exercise class is offered at 6:30 or 7:00 in the lounge for early-risers. Breakfast is served in the dining room usually beginning at 7:00 am. It's a full breakfast buffet, including complimentary champagne, or you may order from the morning's menu. The tour for the day usually leaves about 9:00 and lasts about an hour and a half or two hours. It's normally a walking tour as the boat docks in the city but sometimes it's a bus tour if the city is larger.

The mornings are really your choice as to how leisurely you'd like to be, but river cruises are destination-oriented trip so most people take advantage of the mornings.

What time did the ship sail from Basel and what time can you get on the boat? What time did it arrive in Amsterdam? Thanks.

On the boat from Basel as I write: we boarded at 1220p from Basel and had a nice lunch with some great beer. There were a few people already on board. My sisters room was ready and they radioed for them to get my room next. It was ready after lunch with luggage in the room.

There was still people on board that was leaving that day. We enjoyed talking with them as they had a lovely time and was telling us about the stops. They did not leave until 330p. I believe they were some of the last people to leave.

I will report on the Amsterdam portion as soon as I know first hand.

tulok ~ thanks for taking your vacation time to post live from the ship!!! Sounds GREAT!!! Did you see any of Basel???? How did you actually get to the ship - on your own? or Viking transfer?

And please don't spend your valuable time answering questions - unless you want/like to! We can all wait until you get home and then "attack" you with our questions!!!!

We got back last week from the Amsterdam to Basel cruise on the Viking Sun, and it was great. Since Viking arranged our air fare, a Viking representative met us at the Amsterdam airport. We waited a few minutes for a few passengers arriving shortly afterwards, and a Viking bus took us to our ship. Once on board, we enjoyed a light breakfast, and soon afterwards lunch was served. We couldn't get into our cabin until 3:00, but our luggage was stored while a Viking representative took us on a walking tour of Amsterdam. When we returned, we settled into our cabin, went out on our own for a canal tour, and were back in time for the first presentation about the cruise and then had dinner aroun 7:15.

We didn't see much of Basel since we had the extension in Lucerne. A Viking bus took the group going to Lucerne straight to our hotel there. Our luggage was stored, and we had a walking tour of Lucerne. At the end of our stay in Lucerne, we were taken to the airport and met by another Viking rep who got everyone to the airline desks they needed and helped everyone find their way through the airport. All of the transfers were easy, Viking handled our luggage, and we were well taken care of.

tulok ~ thanks for taking your vacation time to post live from the ship!!! Sounds GREAT!!! Did you see any of Basel???? How did you actually get to the ship - on your own? or Viking transfer?

And please don't spend your valuable time answering questions - unless you want/like to! We can all wait until you get home and then "attack" you with our questions!!!!

The wi/fi was up and down and we were not on the boat very often during the day, so posting was not as easy as I thought it would be earlier. Which meant I was having a good time.

I just wrote a post on Basel that I hope helps. We did not choose the transfers. It is very easy to transfer on your own.

We got to the boat around 1245 and there were some already on. My sisters room was ready and they paged to get my room ready next. Our cabins were across from each other. We ate lunch on the boat and after my room was ready to unpack. We talked with a couple from Norway that was waiting to leave and just took the trip. They stated they had a wonderful time and their transfers left at 330p. So there is a mixture of those leaving and coming in the afternoon. The PD asked if we wanted to go on the Basel city tour but we didn't as we had spent the day before there and wanted to enjoy the Sun deck.

The boat leaves Basel as we are at dinner (7p).

Edited by tulok

We also just took a cab to ship from Basel hotel. The cabbie knew based on the name of our ship where to take us. I want to recommend while you are in Basel you take the day trip to Lake Lucerne in the lower Alps. We did this on our own, not through Viking. There is a ticket you buy at the train station that includes the entire day. It is train to Lucerne, boat accross the lake, cog train up the mountain, gondola down the mountain, bus to the train station, and train back to Basel. Long day but so very worth it.

We went on Rhine Getaway last fall on Viking and loved every minute of it. I recommend you to on the optional excursion to the family vineyard in Alsace. It was fantastic and we bought wine we were able to wrap up and bring home in our suitcases. Colmar we did, but I would skip that. Spend extra time in Strausbourg and Cologne wandering around, they are amazing cities. Get to the boat early from Basel so you can talk to the people that are waiting for cabs to leave from their cruise. They will give you all sorts of great information. Make sure to sit with diffferent people for meals. You will meet the most interesting and amazing people from all over the world. Have a great time.

tulok ~ THANK you so much for posting!! Saw your Basel thread and will read that next!!! I promise I'll be asking lots of questions!!

ninaks ~ thanks for response - GREAT suggestion about getting the ship early and talking to those just leaving - wonderful idea!!! Lake Lucerne was a thought but since we'll be there in December we weren't sure how the area would be. But I'm going to look into the possiility and check if the cog train and gondola run in the winter. Maybe save info just in case. We're just there 2 days and I'm sure time adjustment and the Christmas Markets will keep us busy!!

tulok ~ t I'm going to look into the possiility and check if the cog train and gondola run in the winter. Maybe save info just in case. We're just there 2 days and I'm sure time adjustment and the Christmas Markets will keep us busy!!

Gondola runs but not cog train , in winter

• 2 months later...
Hi 2045jim,

We were on the Viking Sun this past November, sailing from Basel to Amsterdam. Not sure if the times will be the same if sailing from Amsterdam to Basel, but here are the times from the Viking Daily that I saved from our trip:

Breisach: 8:30-12:30 - Black Forest bus tour

Strasbourg: 8:30-12:30 - City tour

Mannheim/Heidelberg: 8:30-12:45 - Bus to Heidelberg

Rüdesheim: set sail at 8:00, immediately sailing the stretch of the Rhine with the castles

Cologne: 9:30-11:30 - City tour

Kinderdijk: morning sailing, arriving at 2:00pm

Breakfast started at 7:00am every morning.

Not sure how much different it would be sailing from Amsterdam, but I'm sure you'll have the same early starts. Maybe someone who has done that direction can supply more info. Hope this helps!

Tim

This is great information about the start of the day. What about the end of the day? The boat leaves Basel at 7pm and you're in Rudesheim overnight, correct? What about Breisach, Strasbourg, Koblenz, Cologne and Kinderdijk? When do you leave those ports? Thanks.

This is great information about the start of the day. What about the end of the day? The boat leaves Basel at 7pm and you're in Rudesheim overnight, correct? What about Breisach, Strasbourg, Koblenz, Cologne and Kinderdijk? When do you leave those ports? Thanks.

Hi Tim,

You are correct regarding Basel and Rudesheim. Breisach was a 10:30pm departure, Strasbourg was 6:30pm, left Mannheim at 1pm after the Heidelberg excursion and arrived in Rudesheim at 6:15pm for an overnight stay, left Koblenz at 4am, Cologne at 11pm, and left Kinderdijk at 5:30pm. It was a fairly port intensive cruise. Rudesheim was completely shut down, only a few restaurants open, but we did arrive the day before the Christmas market opened, so probably would have been a completely different experience the next day or had we visited in summer. Hope that helps.

Tim

Hi Tim,

You are correct regarding Basel and Rudesheim. Breisach was a 10:30pm departure, Strasbourg was 6:30pm, left Mannheim at 1pm after the Heidelberg excursion and arrived in Rudesheim at 6:15pm for an overnight stay, left Koblenz at 4am, Cologne at 11pm, and left Kinderdijk at 5:30pm. It was a fairly port intensive cruise. Rudesheim was completely shut down, only a few restaurants open, but we did arrive the day before the Christmas market opened, so probably would have been a completely different experience the next day or had we visited in summer. Hope that helps.

Tim

Yes, that's very helpful. Thanks. So you're pretty much in Koblenz overnight then?

Yes, that's very helpful. Thanks. So you're pretty much in Koblenz overnight then?

Yes, overnight in Koblenz. I think we arrived into Koblenz early afternoon after the Marksburg Castle excursion. The ship drops you off at Marksburg and goes on to Koblenz. You then take a bus on to Koblenz. You do have the option to stay on the ship if the castle doesn't interest you.

Marksburg Castle is FANTASTIC!!! We visited there during a land trip in 2008. We drove up, up, up to the car park - I don't remember a difficult walk to the castle but it was a bit uneven walking inside, also a few uneven steps. The castle is wonderful (if its the same as 2008!) - it survived the years, never being bombed! And has a "set-up" kitchen display and wonderful views of the Rhine. Don't miss it!!!

However, I've read that the walk from the bus to the castle is not easy so this trip will be different for us since DH has developed a foot problem on his left and is undergoing arthroscopic surgery for 2 torn menisci this coming Wednesday, giving him 7 weeks to recover before our CMs cruise! He may be staying on the ship as it sails to Koblenz!!

Sorry - should have mentioned that our trip is in 2013! I've been following your blog for any additional ideas, suggestions, advice I can use in 2013!!!

I'm going to try and post - via my tablet - during our trip - time permitting! So I hope I can pay-back (or is it forward?) for you guys being so helpful!

One other question. When you're in Breisach, Strasbourg and Cologne (places where the boat is docked from morning until evening) do most people go back to the boat for lunch, after the morning tours? Do the tour buses take you back to the boat, or do you have to get back on your own? And what if you want to go back into town after lunch on the boat? Again, do the tour buses take you back into town or do you have to make your own way? Thanks.

One other question. When you're in Breisach, Strasbourg and Cologne (places where the boat is docked from morning until evening) do most people go back to the boat for lunch, after the morning tours? Do the tour buses take you back to the boat, or do you have to get back on your own? And what if you want to go back into town after lunch on the boat? Again, do the tour buses take you back into town or do you have to make your own way? Thanks.

The tour buses always brought us back to the boat after the tour. Most people ate lunch and dinner on the boat. When the boat is docked in port, you can come and go as you please. You just turn your room key in at the front desk so they know that you're off the boat. Everyone must be back onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing. In Strasbourg, Viking runs a shuttle service into the town center. Everywhere else, you could just walk into town. We're the type that tries to maximize our port time; there's so many things on our bucket list who knows if we'll ever make it back, so we usually only came back to the boat to eat, drop off anything we may have bought, then right back into town. We went into Rudesheim and Cologne after eating dinner, mainly to see the Christmas markets lit up at night and check out a beer house or two. Just be back on board before the boat sails! :D

So maybe in Strasbourg, in order to maximize your time there, it would make sense to eat lunch in town. Then you don't have waste time taking the bus back to the boat to eat and then taking the bus back into town; only to have to take the bus back to the boat again before departure.

Whenever possible we always had lunch in town to sample the local dishes. Had fun mingling with the locals. Would definitely recommend. Check out menus along your walk. If nothing appeals to you then you can always go back to the boat.