Alcohol Wipes vs Lyso Disinfecting Wipes

trbarton

I've looked at Alcohol Wipes and Lyso Disinfecting Wipes. Is the Alcohol wipes better that the Lyso wipes? The Lyso wipes claim that they kill 99% of viruses.

Thanks!

Tom:)

For killing noro, wet ones wipes are the best, as they contain a product that kills noro, while the others do not. I do not recall the specific agent, but wet ones is one of the few products that contains it. Certain gold bond hand sanitizers also contain it.

Jeez....some folks really go for overkill! The cabins are cleaned and wiped down. Unless you are licking doorknobs and whatnot, you'll be fine.

Many people have compromised immune systems and need to take every precaution. My DH has cancer and is on ongoing infusion therapy. He isn't "licking doorknobs" by any means, but we appreciate the added benefit the wipes might offer.

The Wet Ones are for hands, & are better than alcohol-based (Purell) for Noro when you can't wash with soap & water. For surfaces, I think both the Lysol & Clorox wipes claim to kill viruses (but don't know about Noro specifically). I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on tv), just repeating some of the info I have read on other sites. Best wishes for your husband's treatment, Luvmyrotti!

The Wet Ones are for hands, & are better than alcohol-based (Purell) for Noro when you can't wash with soap & water. For surfaces, I think both the Lysol & Clorox wipes claim to kill viruses (but don't know about Noro specifically). I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on tv), just repeating some of the info I have read on other sites. Best wishes for your husband's treatment, Luvmyrotti!

Thanks for the well wishes! We sail despite his cancer and just try to control what we can with regard to managing potential infections.

Jeez....some folks really go for overkill! The cabins are cleaned and wiped down. Unless you are licking doorknobs and whatnot, you'll be fine.

Way to go. As you can see, people have their reasons. So they are not your reasons. Please try to be more compassionate, OK? *sigh*

~

Luvmyrotti, blessings to you both. I am a recent cancer survivor myself and I remember the treatment phase well - had to be extra careful, take precautions, and probably everything that you are planning to do as well. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

From the Lysol website:

"Hi there, when used per label directions, LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray "Brand III" is effective against norovirus. However, LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes are not effective against norovirus."

Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but seriously.

A baggie of wipes are not going to disinfect everything you may come in contact with on vacation. Doorknobs, light switches, remotes, elevator buttons, stairwell banisters, glasses, the underside of tables, walls, faucets, people, money, railings, trinkets in gift shops, excursion tickets...

Seems to me the wipes will have no effect on wether you do or don't get sick. :confused:

I've looked at Alcohol Wipes and Lyso Disinfecting Wipes. Is the Alcohol wipes better that the Lyso wipes? The Lyso wipes claim that they kill 99% of viruses.

Thanks!

Tom:)

For the best answer to this question, I suggest asking your local pharmacist (or your doctor). There, you'll get a direct and honest answer without judgement or unnecessary snide remarks.

Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but seriously.

A baggie of wipes are not going to disinfect everything you may come in contact with on vacation. Doorknobs, light switches, remotes, elevator buttons, stairwell banisters, glasses, the underside of tables, walls, faucets, people, money, railings, trinkets in gift shops, excursion tickets...

Seems to me the wipes will have no effect on wether you do or don't get sick. :confused:

The dose creates the poison, and dilution is the solution to pollution........it's all about decreasing risk, not about eliminating risk. A "baggie of wipes" will decrease the risk of contacting dangerous microbes. There's no question about that. It's fact. Whether or not that decreased risk (which is admittedly small) is enough to make a difference will vary with the individual.....To most otherwise healthy people with normal immune systems and good personal hygiene, that small change in risk is likely not to make a difference in the big picture. For those people, I'd agree with you. However, if an individual has other risk factors in health or habits, a small decrease in risk could make a big difference.

I investigated which wipes would eliminate Noro after the most recent outbreaks that happened on a few ships.

The wipes we purchase in the drug store or supermarket kill lots of viruses, but NOT noro. In order to do that, I believe you need either one of the sprays (as mentioned previously) or you need the hospital grade Clorox wipes that contain bleach. Our office ordered them from our supplier and the person who handles the common office spaces (kitchens, copier rooms, etc) has been using them since late winter. We had a very low incident of serious colds, flue and absolutely no noro or other stomach type ailments that usually spread through the firm.

The only issue is that surfaces need to be left wet and dry on their own, and with bleach, you must stay away from touching the surface so you don't damage your clothing.

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery and good thoughts during his treatment.

In order to do that, I believe you need either one of the sprays (as mentioned previously) or you need the hospital grade Clorox wipes that contain bleach.

Or wipes that contain accelerated hydrogen peroxide (also available to healthcare facilities). They're friendlier to skin and clothing, but still do the job.

I think the spray bottle of high percent hydrogen peroxide is the only thing that really has any effect on noro virus. The other things make you feel better, but you're just moving it around. Spray down the surfaces, let them dry and never ever touch anything at all on the ship anywhere without fresh disposable latex gloves then take those off before you touch yourself - going to be really hard eating, but one does what they must.

ask for disposable salt/pepper

I always buy the lysol travel packs for 99 cents at walmart. I dont go crazy but i do wipe down the door handles and the tv remote and light switches and toilet button.

I know they are cleaned but for me to do that it takes me less than 2 mins. its a piece of mind. If i can do something to increase me not getting sick then its well worth it.

The dose creates the poison, and dilution is the solution to pollution........it's all about decreasing risk, not about eliminating risk. A "baggie of wipes" will decrease the risk of contacting dangerous microbes. There's no question about that. It's fact. Whether or not that decreased risk (which is admittedly small) is enough to make a difference will vary with the individual.....To most otherwise healthy people with normal immune systems and good personal hygiene, that small change in risk is likely not to make a difference in the big picture. For those people, I'd agree with you. However, if an individual has other risk factors in health or habits, a small decrease in risk could make a big difference.

No wipe available, consumer, commercial, or industrial, is effective against noro, unless it's listed on the EPA list of effective agents (found on the CDC website). Commercial websites can make many claims, and if you look closely, they nearly all claim only to be effective against Feline Calicivirus, which is a near cousin to noro, but recently is being called into question as being a suitable substitute.

That being said, Calliope is correct. The idea is to remove the virus, not kill it. As I'm sure everyone knows, the most effective means of preventing noro contamination is hand washing with soap. This does not kill noro (no soap does, soap is a lubricant), it just washes it down the drain off your skin. Hand sanitizer, without using a towel afterwards, is not real effective, but if you use a towel to wipe the virus that has been loosened by the sanitizer off your skin, you reduce the amount of virus on your skin. Wipes, provided you do not just repeatedly wipe over the surface with a dirty wipe, will reduce the amount of virus on the surface (in other words, each area the size of the wipe, should be swiped once with a fresh wipe, and then disposed.

The true agents to kill noro, cannot be used without rubber gloves, masks, etc. Virkon, Benzethonium Chloride (even though some consumer products have this, its not in sufficient concentration), or bleach (again, not strong enough), are recognized as effective against noro.

Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes EPA Registration 67619-25 is effective against norovirus

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/067619-00025-20140226.pdf

This is an approval for a Clorox product named "Dagwood", which I haven't found in their consumer, healthcare, or commercial product list, have you? Even if the concentration of peroxide in the wipes is the same as the "Dagwood" product, please note that the contact time for the wipe is 3 minutes, meaning that there must be a liquid on the surface for 3 minutes before this is effective. Please also note that the test used for noro effectiveness is not using noro virus, but Feline Calicivirus (atcc-vr-782), and requires the presence of 5% organic material for effectiveness. Not saying it isn't effective, but I haven't seen the direct link from "Dagwood" to the Healthcare Wipes, and still have seen questions about the use of FCV as a substitute medium, though it is the most common test today.

and still have seen questions about the use of FCV as a substitute medium, though it is the most common test today.

Yes, there are several accelerated hydrogen peroxide products that use a Calici virus as a surrogate for Norovirus. I am interested in studies you may have seen questioning the efficacy of using Calici as a surrogate for Noro, as I use these accelerated hydrogen peroxide products at work for similar unenveloped viruses.

Yes, there are several accelerated hydrogen peroxide products that use a Calici virus as a surrogate for Norovirus. I am interested in studies you may have seen questioning the efficacy of using Calici as a surrogate for Noro, as I use these accelerated hydrogen peroxide products at work for similar unenveloped viruses.

Actually, another CC member posted this on a thread about whether the cleaning practices that ships do were effective against noro:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044752/

It studies the effects of alcohol based hand sanitizers on FCV and Murine norovirus (MNV), and shows significant differences in reaction, questioning whether FCV should be used as a substitute for HNV. It actually shows that alcohol based products work better against MNV than FCV.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044752/

It studies the effects of alcohol based hand sanitizers on FCV and Murine norovirus (MNV), and shows significant differences in reaction, questioning whether FCV should be used as a substitute for HNV. It actually shows that alcohol based products work better against MNV than FCV.

Interesting. Thank you for the link, as it allows me to follow up with the other studies as well. It's interesting that it's still being used as a surrogate even though the studies are several years old, but you've given me a good starting point for more research.