Aurora Bruges rough weather concern

HampshireRose1977

Sorry to go off topic, but we are considering doing a back to back with a fly cruise. As well as the 10% will they give us anything off the price for the fact that we wont be using the flights for the 2nd cruise. Not sure if this makes sense. Thanks

Perfect sense but you may be out of luck. Not heard of any extra off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to go off topic, but we are considering doing a back to back with a fly cruise. As well as the 10% will they give us anything off the price for the fact that we wont be using the flights for the 2nd cruise. Not sure if this makes sense. Thanks

You should get a reduction for the flight you are not using. We are on a B2B in caribbean next year and have a deduction for the flights we are not using. Hope this helps.

You should get a reduction for the flight you are not using. We are on a B2B in caribbean next year and have a deduction for the flights we are not using. Hope this helps.

Ooooooooo ..... did you book direct with P&O for this?

Thanks.

Will get back on topic now :-)

We have just docked in Southampton on Aurora after an aborted 2 night cruise to Zeebrugge. We were unable to get in to Zeebrugge due to high winds and Captain Turnbull was unable to find us an alternative, so we spent the day cruising up to Lowestoft and back! Great shame for those for whom it was a genuine ‘taster cruise’ and for those who had booked specifically to go to Bruges, but Captain Turnbull’s announcement was very professional “my primary interest is, and always will be, the safety of the vessel and all those aboard”. Less of an issue for us as we are doing a back to back so are on board for another week. It was quite rough but the ship handled very well

I bet you that experience will have put some new cruisers off cruising for life. A cruise to no where and in fairly rough seas. While the T & C s will make it clear that missed ports can happen, some will no doubt still feel it was a complete waste of time and money.

Such a shame when this type of thing happens but no one can control the weather.

This brings back memories of our New Year cruise on the Ventura( DEC 2015).

We had four days of going up and down the Channel/North Sea.

The Queen Victoria managed to dock even at Amsterdam due to the azipod system she uses but hey,

we got a cruise and enjoyed it despite the rough conditions.

Same as Selbourne (hope you enjoyed your cruise ) can tick off a cruise to nowhere :)

I agree,we were on this cruise too and it was very disappointing not getting into Amsterdam although we did get into Zeebrugge on that cruise.

We did the same cruise in 2016 and got into Amsterdam this time.

Dai. You are a gent. I owe you one. I have just been back down to reception and spoken to an officer who was overseeing boarding operations. He has confirmed that we do NOT need to attend muster drill again having only done so 48 hours ago. Mrs Selbourne is particularly grateful to you, as she was most unimpressed at the prospect of doing another one so soon. Many thanks!

Great info Dai and Selbourne, we're on our first B2B (3 nighter Brugge followed by Spain) on 10th Nov, and delighted to hear we don't have to do a second muster. [emoji1303]

Thank you Dai and Selbourne. Can't wait to B2B in June [emoji4]. Selbourne hope you enjoyed your fizz in the glass house - am quite envious but you deserve it for your excellent report [emoji4][emoji4]

Great info Dai and Selbourne, we're on our first B2B (3 nighter Brugge followed by Spain) on 10th Nov, and delighted to hear we don't have to do a second muster. [emoji1303]

We're on that B2B as well, first time we've done a B2B so grateful for the info, especially no second muster drill. I HATE muster drill!!!

We're on that B2B as well, first time we've done a B2B so grateful for the info, especially no second muster drill. I HATE muster drill!!!

I'm really looking forward to it. Not done Ventura before so New ship to explore too. [emoji1303][emoji4]

We're doing a B2B next year on Azura. 7 nights followed by another 7 nights. We are in the same cabin for both cruises, so does this mean we won't have to attend muster drill on the second cruise? Or will they think we won't remember everything after 7 nights!

Michele

:halo:

We're doing a B2B next year on Azura. 7 nights followed by another 7 nights. We are in the same cabin for both cruises, so does this mean we won't have to attend muster drill on the second cruise? Or will they think we won't remember everything after 7 nights!

Michele

You should be OK. We didn’t attend the 2nd muster and didn’t receive a naughty letter.

:halo:

Michele

Perfectly fine. We did a 17 then a 5. No problem about non attendance at the second drill.

Well for anyone worried about rough seas, we now have our answer - don't be!

We watched some pretty high seas pass us by and we felt hardly anything. Our friends partied the night away on the Saturday and it was only in the early hours Sunday morning that we felt any sort of movement. Infact, we didn't need any of our seasickness tablets on the Saturday she was so stable.

My husband noticed the seas were well over 4 metres as we approached the Isle of Wight and maybe the stabilisers were brought in during the early hours as everyone had gone to bed?

Our friends were so impressed with how she handled the seas, their confidence has been resorted and they have booked a cruise with us for next year to the Fjords!

On a seprate note, yes it was a pity we couldn't dock in Zeebrugge, but I cannot believe how many people are wingeing about the cruise.

We had a superb time, enjoyed the ship to it's full. We didn't expect any discounts or freebies as others have put it. The captain made the right choice, safety first.

I can only assume the complainers are the type of people who will claim on their travel insurance when they get back? Love cruising....love everything about it, sad to say though, the only thing we can find fault with, is some of the other passengers. Harsh, but true.

Well for anyone worried about rough seas, we now have our answer - don't be!

We watched some pretty high seas pass us by and we felt hardly anything. Our friends partied the night away on the Saturday and it was only in the early hours Sunday morning that we felt any sort of movement. Infact, we didn't need any of our seasickness tablets on the Saturday she was so stable.

My husband noticed the seas were well over 4 metres as we approached the Isle of Wight and maybe the stabilisers were brought in during the early hours as everyone had gone to bed?

Our friends were so impressed with how she handled the seas, their confidence has been resorted and they have booked a cruise with us for next year to the Fjords!

On a seprate note, yes it was a pity we couldn't dock in Zeebrugge, but I cannot believe how many people are wingeing about the cruise.

We had a superb time, enjoyed the ship to it's full. We didn't expect any discounts or freebies as others have put it. The captain made the right choice, safety first.

I can only assume the complainers are the type of people who will claim on their travel insurance when they get back? Love cruising....love everything about it, sad to say though, the only thing we can find fault with, is some of the other passengers. Harsh, but true.

Thank you for your reassuring report on how well Aurora handled the rough seas. Also, pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cruise.

We are looking forward to our cruise on Aurora in a couple of weeks time and our Daughter and Partner will be travelling with us.

It will be our Daughters first cruise and she is particularly nervous about how she will cope with any movement of the ship in rough weather. However, I am sure your positive report will help calm her fears. :)

Edited by P-L-B

Out of interest, where did you hear (or read) all the people complaining and asking for freebies or compensation?

We were on this cruise and heard none of that at all. Naturally people were disappointed, especially if they had booked the cruise due to a specific desire to visit Bruges, but we didn’t hear a single person complaining as everyone understood the reasons due to the excellent announcement made by the Captain.

Reading your comments about passenger attitudes makes me think we were on a completely different cruise! Whenever we went to reception, it seemed that everyone there was asking for their gratuities to be removed. Shame on them. They were handing out missed Port forms for insurance claims. We didn’t bother as the port wasn’t our reason for booking.

Very interested to hear more detail as we were clearly oblivious to all these difficult passengers.

Didn't hear anything on the ship, apart from some moaning about not berthing at Zeebrugge.

No it's some of the stuff I've seen on social media, this and other forums. Never mind!

I don’t use other sites so haven’t seen it.

There hasn’t been anything remotely of the nature you describe on this site though, unless you can point me to something that I have missed?

I don’t use other sites so haven’t seen it.

There hasn’t been anything remotely of the nature you describe on this site though, unless you can point me to something that I have missed?

Not a lot on the sites I look at.