Sleeping arrangements for toddler

Gaprofitt

Hi all,

Have a standard balcony room with just myself and my 2.5 year old son.

Would you:

A. Just do twin bed config and bring rails or no rails?

B. Do king config and request a mattress from the steward to put in floor.

C. If the room has a couch, build a bed for him.

Thanks.

What does he sleep in at home?

My three year old will be sleeping in the provided trundle bed on our upcoming cruise.. With that being said we often stay at hotels and she does just fine either in the extra bed or on the floor with a pillow and blanket. One thing that has helped us is finding a nap mat (similar to a sleeping bag) and bringing it wherever we go so her bed stays the same regardless of our location..

I actually prefer OV to a Balcony when cruising with toddler. I set the beds up as king, push one side against the hull of the ship and place extra comforter at the foot of the bed. I then sleep on the side of bed facing the room, thereby creating a barrier on all three sides to prevent the toddler from rolling off the bed during sleep.

Beds as a king and request a crib for the toddler. REquest in advance as they are limited!! We are in that "boat" going to Alaska in June.

Can you leave off one side of the crib or is it not made that way?

Just my $.02, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting my face that close to the carpets in the rooms. Much less a child, who may roll off a mattress/pad on the floor. Just think of what may have landed on that carpet, as well as the chemicals used to clean them regularly.

We just cruised with our 2 year old in a balcony cabin. We orginally requested a crib and then decided she was too big for it. Instead, our steward made up the couch into a bed and we placed the back cushions on the other side with the small table holding it in place. She was totally fine the whole week. She still sleeps in the crib at home and moves around a lot, but we didn't have a single problem all week!

........................If you have a rail you can easily bring to put on his side, go ahead and do that.

A rail can be easily made up by placing rolled towels at the edge of the bed, under the sheets. I've read that some will bring a pool noodle use it the same way.

Last cruise my child was a couple of weeks from being 3 and she slept in the bunk bed over our king bed with no problem. I did put pillows at the top and bottom of the bed to kinda fence her in. Then there was the rail on the side of the bunk.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

King bed pushed to one side of the room, if possible. The carnival cribs are really small for a 2 year-old. I have an inflatable bed rail from One Step Ahead that I use when traveling...it's awesome and takes up very little space. I've also asked for extra pillows and created a barrier on the side of the bed- he's never fallen out. My son knows its a special vacation treat to sleep in the same bed- I don't let him in my bed at home!!

I don't want to get my son accustom to sleeping with me. He then would always ask to sleep with me.

Ah, yes, been there - done that!

Then I'd say keep the beds separate, and if you can bring a rail, or even just line pillows up on one side (at night, push his against the wall/window, in the morning, pull it back. That way you only have one side to worry about falling out of)

The cribs are small for a 2.5 year old and since he sleeps in a bed at home, I wouldn't do a crib. I don't think bringing a rail is realistic and it wouldn't attach to anything to be secure anyway. We had the couch made into a bed for our 3 year old and he slept in it just fine. We had the table pushed up against it and a couple of pillows on the floor just in case he rolled over, which he never did. The couch is also pretty low to the ground.

Are the cribs the same as hotel sized cribs or are they even smaller like a pack n' play? We are cruising in Sept. and our youngest will have just turned 2. I already asked for a crib.

The cribs are even small for a 7 month old, in my opinion. We cruised with our 7 month old last year and she ended up in the king bed with us every night. It will be interesting in November when we have our 10 month old and 2.5 year old!

We have the couch made up as a bed and requested extra pillows to put on the floor from our steward in case she rolled off. But my DD has slept in a regular bed since 18 months. We've done this for 3 cruises no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a standard balcony room with just myself and my 2.5 year old son.

Would you:

A. Just do twin bed config and bring rails or no rails? Possibly, but bringing a rail seems like a pain

B. Do king config and request a mattress from the steward to put in floor. Then you'd have no floor space, not sure they'd put a mattress on the floor anyway

C. If the room has a couch, build a bed for him. That would probably be alright

D. Do the king config and have him sleep with me I understand you don't like this option, but you asked what I'd do. :D

Edited by lrowe70

I would have the couch made up as a bed and use the bolsters on the outside edge as a barrier. There would still be plenty of width for him to be comfortable.

And work really hard at getting him potty trained. Carnival doesn't allow swim diapers.

Our daughter has been sleeping in a regular twin bed since she was 2.5. She has never had an issue, but she isn't a tosser and turner either.

She is 4 now, and on the cruise they turned the couch into a bed, and each day during the day made it a couch again.

My wife started the sleeping with her thing for a bit since I am regularly out of town for nights a week. Home Friday to Mon morning. I quickly put a stop to that. It was creating a bad habit. I do not agree with Co-sleeping.

If you are truly worried about it go buy an air mattress at walmart. They have all sizes from a single to a king sized. Sits 9 or 10 inches off the floor. You could deflate it each day and roll it up and blow it back up at night.

Edited by aaron3219