Tipping in Asia

gullcruiser

Hello, Being from the US I'm use to tipping and always generous when I receive good service. I've been reading about what is proper in Asia and have seen mixed answers. Some say it's insulting and not expected while others say yes, tip!

My main concern is while in Vietnam I will be on a group tour for 10 days with different tour guides each day. Do I tip them and if so what is the acceptable amount? What about drivers (not taxi drivers)who meet you at the airport and take you to your hotel?

Once I get on my cruise and take tours, are the tour guides tipped in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore?

I've also read that US money is accepted, which makes no sense to me, is that correct?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can pass on to me, it will be appreciated.

The practice varies widely from country to country. For example, in Japan and Korea, tipping is not expected at all, as giving good service is considered an integral element of the job.

For coach drivers, no need to tip at all.

In the countries you will be visiting, there is no need to tip tour guides in Singapore, or in Malaysia. In Vietnam and Thailand, a small tip is always appreciated. I would suggest US$2 per person for a half day tour, may be US$4 for a whole day.

You should know that however the tour guides in Asia make their money by taking you to designated shops. They will get a fee (secret) for each tourist they bring, and then a cut of the sales generated by those they bring. So bargain hard.

This is a common question. Other than Japan nobody is likely to be offended by tip. Not perfect but to me the best comparison I can think of is it's a bit like tipping at Starbucks, it will be unexpected but they will take it and of course appreciate it. It also seems that in a lot of South East Asia guides and drivers have come to expect tips from western tourists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a common question. Other than Japan nobody is likely to be offended by tip. Not perfect but to me the best comparison I can think of is it's a bit like tipping at Starbucks, it will be unexpected but they will take it and of course appreciate it. It also seems that in a lot of South East Asia guides and drivers have come to expect tips from western tourists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So in Japan, the tour guide would truly be offended by the offer of a tip, even if the tour/service was superb?

Thanks.

So in Japan, the tour guide would truly be offended by the offer of a tip, even if the tour/service was superb?

Thanks.

Just returned from Asia a few days ago where my experience was pretty much what DipBrat said.

In Japan I didn't feel they would be offended per se but rather it wasn't expected or did I see anyone tip anywhere.

Every where else it seemed the tour guides were accustomed to and appreciated a tip from westerners.

Aloha,

In Japan tipping is not expected at all.

Viewed from the Japanese point of view, a valued customer who is engaging your company's goods or services, should always be provided excellent service as an integral element of the employee's job. To do otherwise would be an insult to the customer. Also, in Japan think about why would an employer engage an employee that would provide less that their best effort, excellent service is expected from both employer and employee.

When viewed in that culture and from that point of view, one can understand the reluctance to accept more than what is charged for the goods or services.

Some from the very customer oriented Aloha state try to carry individually packaged chocolate covered macadamia nuts (or other little treats) to give to those who provide exceptional service, as a little gift or token that may not be considered a "tip". Personally we try to give 2 or more items and tell the person to share with a friend with the explanation of it's from an "Aloha from Hawaii" customer. If you think about the effort one takes to carry a token from one's home on a trip to give to somebody that made their trip special while respecting their culture, you can understand a little about what ALOHA means.

The same seems to be the case in Korea. In some other asian countries, some seem be have been corrupted by the western practice of expecting tips regardless of the quality of service.

When visiting another culture one must consider the expectations of the culture. Normal varies from country to country. We hope this helps.

Aloha, rak

Edited by rakuroda

• 2 weeks later...

Tipping in Singapore is rare. Most restaurants will have service charge included. If not you don't need to leave anything unless you want to. They don't expect it. Certainly in hawker centres there is no tipping. There is also no need to tip tour guides or taxi drivers. Unless you want to but they don't expect it.

In recent years with more and more western tourists in Asia, tipping is becoming slowly more prevalent. Coming from that area, I hope the people there are not going to get spoilt by that and come to expect to be tipped in the end. Asian service is part of the culture- when people work in the service industry they take pride in serving. They don't expect to be paid extra for it. Though in the end no one is going to say no to a tip.

I travel with my western better half and we frequently disagree when we have to pay - he thinks it's really mean not to tip. I win usually in the end as I say I come from there and I know the culture better than he does [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks.

No tipping in restaurants etc. However, we tipped the local guides. Our Japanese tour leader collected money (usually our loose change), put it in an envelope and presented it to the local tour guides at the end of the tour. When he ran out of envelopes, he fashioned one from paper. No bare money or money in an ugly plastic bag was handed over. And the handing over was with both hands and an elaborate thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Echoing Radurada's post a bit further, Japan is also a culture that places emphasis on gift giving, coming from a standpoint of honor and recognition for another person. So much in the way that member mentioned bringing something specific from Hawaii to express gratitude by way of offering something from their culture to someone, THAT I could see someone being willing to accept although again, very much NOT necessary.

I would only offer something like that to someone if it were someone with whom there has been some significant time spent and therefore, a tiny bit of a relationship or "understanding" had occurred. This would therefore create the grounds by which the recipient felt comfortable accepting a small gift - there was now a small friendship and one person was offering something to another. The person is already being paid adequately to perform their job. Honor and dignity factor significantly in Japanese culture.

Korea is a bit similar though not exactly. Thailand and Viet Nam - also different as has been mentioned previously.

If you can spare room in your luggage for small items, that would be better than cash, which doesn't translate well. Even things like picture post cards from your own city have been known to bring smiles to people's faces - they are meeting people from all over the world - it can be interesting to see where folks come from. Other lightweight things aren't so difficult to find and you might have local specialty items that are also small.

The best way to express appreciation might just be putting a bit of pre-thought, planning and action, as posting this question is proof of doing, into not forcing our cultural norms onto other people just to make ourselves feel better. If the object is to truly thank them, lets think of proper ways to do just that! We can do this :)

When it comes to tipping in Asia in general, there is a saying "service is included except for Americans who are expected to tip". The point is, locals would never tip but Americans tourists insist on it. Actually, in many places you are expected to pay less than the posted price (bargain), so someone who pays more than the posted price is considered strange and certainly not very smart (in their eyes) while in your eyes you are being generous. I even had a friend once bargain down the restaurant bill. Their perception is quite different.

People will rarely refuse the extra money but it creates bad habits. Other travelers would prefer if the Americans did not import this bad habit.

With respect to the use of US$, I would not count on it. Sometimes it is possible to pay in US$ (not in Japan), but it makes everything complicated and you get a lousy exchange rate. However, it will be quite easy to exchange your dollars as long as your bills are in pristine conditions, recent and not folded. In the end, using ATMs is an easier solution.

Edited by TravelMore&More

• 1 year later...
What about tipping the people who handle your luggage at the cruise port in Singapore? Do you tip them like you have to do in the US?

Also while you don't really tip taxi drivers in Singapore (just round up if you want to) what about if you hire a driver (non taxi)?

I have never tipped the people who handle our luggage at the port and never felt like they expected it. My most recent visit was this January.

I can't help you with private drivers as we have always found using the taxi or the public transport system all we needed. We also have used Uber and Grab there. No tip required for Uber or Grab.

Thanks.

No, they wouldn't be offended. Our Japanese tour leader collected spare cash from us (we volunteered), not a set amount like in China. He put it in a pretty envelope and gave it to the local guides with a bow and with both hands.

We asked our tour company in Laos and in Vietnam what the acceptable amount would be. Tour guides who frequently work with Western tourists, accept US$

No, they wouldn't be offended. Our Japanese tour leader collected spare cash from us (we volunteered), not a set amount like in China. He put it in a pretty envelope and gave it to the local guides with a bow and with both hands.

We asked our tour company in Laos and in Vietnam what the acceptable amount would be. Tour guides who frequently work with Western tourists, accept US$

I agree anyone who regularly works with tourists won't be offended anymore. Will the Walmart greeter they won't be offended? It is about as necessary.

Perhaps "offended" is not the proper word :). We Americans have a tipping culture that we tend to take with us when abroad. Rather then learning and following local traditions we often try to project our own traditions on those who are not used to tips. If you offer tips, most Asians in the tourist industry now understand that its an American thing and they will simply accept it with grace. But behind your back they find it somewhat laughable. Its kind of like somebody thinking, "if these foolish Americans want to give me money its OK."

There are numerous web sites which provide information on tipping practices in various countries. The wise traveler does their research and follows local/national customs and mores. Just keep in mind that the "Ugly American" travel saying has been the result of too many Americans thinking that what we do is correct....so there is no reason to respect local customs.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
I have never tipped the people who handle our luggage at the port and never felt like they expected it. My most recent visit was this January.

I can't help you with private drivers as we have always found using the taxi or the public transport system all we needed. We also have used Uber and Grab there. No tip required for Uber or Grab.

We needed a private van from hotel on Orchard Rd to SIN, it was S$55.00 one way, just gave him $60.00 and that was that. If not taxi at the hotel rank is about $25+. Round up to the nearest $1 and add $1-2 for taxis if you feel like.

On a different note:

Tipping in general is not required, we normally give $5.00 with the bill at the end (never write in the “Tips” line on a credit card slip) if we know we’re coming back again.

If we’re back home, and we have a large family function or something, there’s normally a carton or two of soft drink sent to the kitchen, $100 for the Maître D’ and possibly the Head Chef, $50 each for the Captains, and $10 each for the waiters and ancillary staff (ie, DJ stage hands etc; the DJ himself will get a different price).

All depends on what you see fit. It’s not expected, but a tip to the doorman at the hotel ($10) is highly advisable. $5-10 for the bellboy who carries your bags to/from your hotel room, and for the housekeeper.

Note that certain small notes (ie, BND/SGD 5, 10, 20 etc to RM) will incur a different exchange rate than large notes ($50, 100, 500 etc), because it’s more difficult to move the small notes; same with banks and USD, nothing smaller than $50 & $100; had to squeeze a stone to get USD small notes...and quite a few $1’s and $10’s that have probably/obviously gone through the Las Vegas Strip 🤣

Tipping in Indonesia is a totally different species. My go to exchange rate in mind is approx USD$1 = IDR (Rp) 10 000, so if something is Rp 100 000, it’s USD$10.00. You can get your shoes polished and you give the guy an extra Rp 3000-5000, and they’ll come back very shiny. You can also get packets of noodles for Rp 300.

DO NOT $ give to the beggars asking for money, give them package food or drink instead: the $ goes to a central racketeer and a pittance goes to the people.

TL:DR; tipping in Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia (and to an extent Indonesia) is not expected, nor required (if there is a 10% Service Charge), but greatly accepted and appreciated. Tip wisely. Don’t make yourself an obvious target too. And keep small notes available, everyone hates coins...

Nick

Brunei

Note that certain small notes (ie, BND/SGD 5, 10, 20 etc to RM) will incur a different exchange rate than large notes ($50, 100, 500 etc), because it’s more difficult to move the small notes; same with banks and USD, nothing smaller than $50 & $100; had to squeeze a stone to get USD small notes...and quite a few $1’s and $10’s that have probably/obviously gone through the Las Vegas Strip 🤣

Nick

Brunei

Nick, I don't quite understand this part of your information. $50 or $100 are not the notes I would use as a tip. I guess you mean the exchange rate for larger notes is better than for small notes. But who would try to exchange small notes? Do you mean by Las Vegas Strip that they are in bad shape?

Nick, I don't quite understand this part of your information. $50 or $100 are not the notes I would use as a tip. I guess you mean the exchange rate for larger notes is better than for small notes. But who would try to exchange small notes? Do you mean by Las Vegas Strip that they are in bad shape?

So we’re embarking soon, and was told that all onboard transactions are in USD. Physical USD notes (in Brunei, at least) are moderately difficult to come by; the banks only have $50 and $100 notes, and only if someone has exchanged it as well, so you have to put a request in a few weeks ahead, then if you’re lucky you get a call and then collect, which is then in large notes.

To break the $50 and $100 notes, I had to send someone somewhere (ironically, Singapore) to get the notes broken down into smaller $20’s, $10’s, $5’s and $1’s...

The $1’s and $10’s I got back were, let’s say, a little worst for wear...some notes are the 2004 series too...now, if I’m not mistaken, the average life of a $1 note is around six years...so these notes would have travelled quite a distance...and are a little grubby [emoji52]

If I could, it would have been SGD$10’s all around...so much easier to tip that way, or even BND$10’s, which I guess would be a bit more of a novelty...

Nick

Brunei

Also, the $50 and $100 tips I noted earlier are for larger family functions, where there may be 80-100 odd extended family and around 50-60 guests; recent one was my grand dad’s 90th last Sept, so we had a bit of a budget to spend.

They’re not for everyday transactions; we may be comfortable, but we definitely don’t have an endless money well...

Nick

Brunei

In Japan, absolutely don't tip by handing over money directly. Use a box or envelope if you really feel you want to give money. Japanese love little gifts though, as others have already pointed out.

In touristy areas in Asia, the locals have now become so accustomed to tipping, they sometimes expect it, or just don't give you your change back. This happened to us several times in Siem Reap in Cambodia and in Hue in Vietnam. What we just did after we experienced this a couple of times, is wait if somebody was honest, and then let them keep the change or give them something.

In Japan, absolutely don't tip by handing over money directly. Use a box or envelope if you really feel you want to give money. Japanese love little gifts though, as others have already pointed out.

In touristy areas in Asia, the locals have now become so accustomed to tipping, they sometimes expect it, or just don't give you your change back. This happened to us several times in Siem Reap in Cambodia and in Hue in Vietnam. What we just did after we experienced this a couple of times, is wait if somebody was honest, and then let them keep the change or give them something.

When we were in Japan last year, we were very aware of the common "no tipping" policy. And we brought quite a few little gifts that reflected our home area (a few different varieties/prices, things like a key chain with a special icon of the area, etc.).

Our favorite guide was one that we had for several days, and she was *amazing*. So at the end of our final day with her, we had an envelope with a nicer trinket in it, and we also put a folded nice "piece of cash" in it.

As we presented it to her (after she had offered us a small gift), we warmly thanked her for all of her assistance, etc., and we then said that something like this is an extra token of our appreciation of how much we had enjoyed spending time with her, etc.

We have emailed back and forth since then, and plan to spend time with her on our next trip (hopefully not too, too far in the future). The exchange seems friendly/warm, so we hope that no offense was taken.

GC