Is this a good itinerary / time of year for the Fjords?

Presto2

Help!

We are looking at holidays for 2019 and are thinking about a cruise to the Fjords. We are stuck to school holidays so have to do the Azura in April or the Ventura in May.

We are more tempted by the one in April as we are happy to be cold and see some snow.

Thoughts about the itinerary would be useful and weather if it would make a massive difference.

Many thanks everyone

Cruise itinerary : 4 ports on Azura in April

• Southampton
  • Stavanger
  • Olden
  • Innvikfjorden
  • Nordfjord
  • Alesund
  • Bergen
  • Southampton

We were on the first cruise of the season into Gerainger one May and it was lovely but the waterfalls weren’t as spectacular as we expected as they were still frozen. The fjords is a lovely cruise and IMO you'll love it whenever , but I would go as late as you can.

We've been on a fjord twice and both times in mid June. The days are nice and long, but even then it's not very warm. I think the maximum temperatures we had during the day was about 15c.

Therefore, I'd go on the later, May date

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been on a fjord twice and both times in mid June. The days are nice and long, but even then it's not very warm. I think the maximum temperatures we had during the day was about 15c.

Therefore, I'd go on the later, May date

We are swapping this one for a week in Lapland in February so no worries re being cold! Just wondering if there are any snowy excursions if we go early on in the year. Thanks everyone.

We had a cold cruise one May, on Indy... there was nothing happening on the Lido deck, so the inside was crammed with people when it was raining/windy, and we had a few flakes of snow. We always said we'd only go again in cold months on a ship with an inside pool, such as Ventura/Aurora.

We have done the Fjords the last two years on Aurora and Britannia both in April. It's chilly and it's snowy but at the same time spectacular. We are on the Britannia again next April and again it's the Fjords. We can't get enough of the place. In April it's sunrise at 06.20 and sunset is 21.00 hours so lots of daylight hours and sunsets are spectacular while sailing through the Fjords.

We did Norway last week of April/beginnng of May and it was lovely but very cold. Spring was late that year so there was lots of snow! I got some gorgeous photos because of the snow on top of the mountains and often blue skies.

The waterfalls were all frozen though and we had one trip cancelled because the lake was frozen!

We keep saying we will go back later in the year but haven’t managed it yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are swapping this one for a week in Lapland in February so no worries re being cold! Just wondering if there are any snowy excursions if we go early on in the year. Thanks everyone.

Not snowy excursions as such but at Stavanger and the train in Flam (I know you’re not going there) when we went up into the mountains there was fresh laid snow. Going up hairpin bends in a coach in snow was an experience! The drivers are very experienced though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Aurora to Norway in April. Bitterly cold, wet and windy in Stavanger otherwise quite pleasant. Just cold with the odd bit of snow and rain. We certainly used our winter coats, hats, scarves and gloves. Excursions that go up in the mountains could be effected. There was a foot of snow at the top of the Flam Railway. Apparently it was the the first day of the year that my cycle excursion had been able to run. I would go again at that time of year but I rarely do excursions.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. Like I said, we love our snow holidays in Lapland, so we don't mind being cold. Rather worried though if the extreme weather affects excursions.

Will have a look at the itinerary for the May cruise on Ventura as well now. I think that one does more or less the same itinerary so not a massive choice for us.

Well, have just booked the April cruise on Azura in aft cabin B749 (the cabin we wish we had booked for Ventura in August). Very low deposit £94, free transfers and £120 OBC and looks great. Always wanted to try Azura and see the Fjords so happy now this Christmas. Thanks for your help everyone.