Crystal vs Regent for Holiday of a Lifetime?

PebmarshPete

Hi everybody

First time cruiser questions so please be kind.

I am researching a holiday to follow my wife's retirement after 40 years in teaching. I've already had some great advice from other boards on CC which have led me to the idea of a Mediteranean cruise either in Autumn/Fall 2010 or Spring 2011. As I need to minimise the possibility of motion sickness (I know the risk can't be eliminated entirely) I am considering larger ships only. Having read many threads on here and assuming itineraries will be similar to those currently published, our choice seems to lie largely between Crystal and Regent, with Deilmann's Deutschland and Hapag Lloyd's Europa as possibilities (though neither of us speaks German).

We will both be in our early 60's by 2010, I am fairly well-travelled but my wife is not. We both enjoy fine food and wines on a fairly regular basis. Formal dining is neither an attraction nor a problem - the quality of food and service is more important to us. My wife is a keen (and good) photographer and gardener; we both swim a bit but neither of us is into golf. Any recommendations and advice gratefully received:)

Should I also post this in the Regent & Crystal boards or would that be unnecessary duplication?

Hi!

You wouldn't go wrong with either Regent or Crystal. There are subtle differences though, that may or may not sway you one way or another. Both Crystal and Regent take pride in excellent service and stellar food quality. Regent tends to be more of a CC casual experience (for the most part) while Crystal tends to be a bit more formal. Tipping and all beverages, including fine wines and spirits are complimentary on Regent, while the Crystal experience does not include tipping and alcoholic beverages. (Many TA's will pre-pay gratuities though, and you may take as much wine onboard as you like).

I would post this question on both boards, as it will be interesting the comments you will get. (Depending on the board.)

If this is your first cruise, I would definately recommend a line that caters to North Americans. JMHO

Congatulations!

Host Dan

Archived