Eggs

chabad

On the Regal Princess do they use real eggs for breakfast on the Lido Deck?

Scrambled eggs, omelettes are prepared with pasteurized eggs that come in a container. Fried eggs, sunnyside or over easy, are cracked from a shell. They are both real eggs. The pasteurized version is the safer way to serve eggs in a large restaurant. It's the same in the DR's.

Can't verify about Lido deck eggs...but, when we took the UST on the Ruby when we went through the kitchen they told us that they board more than 60,000 eggs per cruise. These are used, so we were told, for for baking and other recipes. Can't say how many ended up on the Lido buffet. Obviously fried and poached eggs are "real."

Scrambled eggs, omelettes are prepared with pasteurized eggs that come in a container. Fried eggs, sunnyside or over easy, are cracked from a shell. They are both real eggs. The pasteurized version is the safer way to serve eggs in a large restaurant. It's the same in the DR's.

Agree...where bulk eggs would be inappropriate, like fried eggs or sunnyside, real, cracked from the shell will be used. Otherwise bulk liquid eggs will be used.

And this isn't just on the Regal, but on the entire fleet.

We were on the Caribbean Princess when they had the salmonella scare last April. The ship threw away all the fresh eggs in an excess of caution. We could still get scrambled eggs or omelets. No fried or Eggs Benedict. Made me wonder what they did for recipes that called for eggs. I guess pasteurized would work.

From another thread on the subject: "Scrambled "eggs" are fake eggs". Actually, no they aren't. They are pasteurized eggs. The problem is that scrambled eggs sitting in a heating tray for any length of time turn hard and watery. The only way that they are good is if your get them very soon after the tray is brought out. BTW, if you get the chance take the Ultimate Ship Tour, you learn a lot about what goes on behind the scenes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurized_eggs

Recently on the Regal for 13 days. Very inconsistent as to how watery the scrambled eggs were and I tend not to have the patience to have them cook me eggs or an omelette. They did have an egg casserole every day and that was usually my choice if I wanted eggs.

I LOVE EGGS. :hearteyes: I was on Regal in 2015. The WORST scrambled eggs I've ever had in my life!! I sampled them for a few days to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. Nope! It was real. :o

I hope things have changed. It's been 3 years.

Now the scrambled eggs on Carnival's Splendor....DELICIOUS!!

JMO ;p

Recently on the Regal for 13 days. Very inconsistent as to how watery the scrambled eggs were and I tend not to have the patience to have them cook me eggs or an omelette. They did have an egg casserole every day and that was usually my choice if I wanted eggs.

VERY upset to hear this news!! There goes the 3 years!!! :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

I LOVE EGGS. :hearteyes: I was on Regal in 2015. The WORST scrambled eggs I've ever had in my life!! I sampled them for a few days to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. Nope! It was real. :o

JMO ;p

I have to agree. My "scrambled" eggs on the Star this week tasted like they had been boiled in a vat of pork fat. If I want lard with my eggs, I'll ask for it. Otherwise, I just want egg.

After giving it a couple tries, I switched to hard boiled egg on Lido, and we enjoyed the MDR for breakfast and I ordered fried. There aren't a ton of things that I'd say Carnival does better when it comes to food, but serving eggs is definitely one of them. The omelette station on the Carnival ships I have been on were far superior to Princess.

JMO ;p

The problem is that many cruise lines (including Princess) use these boxed, homogenized, pasteurized eggs to make omelets and scrambled eggs. While the taste is similar to real eggs, the texture is completely different. I will no longer eat omelets made from that garbage. Sometimes you can get a Lido omelet cook to use real eggs, but increasingly they will say no (or they will get in trouble with their supervisor). As to the scrambled eggs, I would not feed that stuff to a house mouse.

Hank

On most ships and many restaurants, they use the liquid eggs. I’m lactose intolerant and can only eat the “real cracked eggs”. You can wait in the omelette line and ask them to make scrambled eggs with the “real cracked eggs”. They’re always happy to make mine the way I ask.

Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always for for the real deal, the fried eggs. I leave the scrambled eggs which are sometimes watery and have ingredients added that's iffy for me - like salmon.

I stay away from all eggs that are prepared in bulk whe the it is scrambled or pre-made eggs Benedict. At the moment they are placed in the service pan they could be perfect. But then after a minute on the line they are over done. My mantra at home for omelets is "done in the pan over done on the plate." I liked the way CB folks prepared the eggs in the aft Horizon Court.

The omelettes on my recent Ruby cruise left something to be desired. The egg was flat and thin as a crepe, stuffed with pre-cooked ingredients. I requested omelettes made from cracked eggs and fresh ingredients which were much better. They will make fried eggs without bacon grease if requested.

I always for for the real deal, the fried eggs. I leave the scrambled eggs which are sometimes watery and have ingredients added that's iffy for me - like salmon.

Standing before the "egg man" with his handy skillet I ask for two fried eggs. At the right moment I tell him to scramble them. He smiles and folds them onto a plate.

DH doesn't mind the scrambled eggs on Princess ships. I order my eggs over medium. BTW the best eggs have been on our two cruises that originated in Southampton. I think the British eggs are better than what Princess buys in the U.S.--much richer tasting yolks.

I order my eggs in the dining room and they looked and tasted real to me

44267501115_84fdb65c02_k.jpg

Howard

When you order things like over easy, soft boiled, eggs benedict , they do use real eggs as you cannot fill those orders with pasteurized glop! But if you had ordered an omelet or scrambled they would have been made with the commercial glop. Next time you are on Princess (or HAL) go to the Omelet station in the Lido and ask them to make you an omelet using real eggs. At one time when we did this it would happen. But on our last two Princess cruises we were simply told that it is not permitted. But this is not just a Princess issue. On our last HAL cruise (where you can watch them make your eggs on the grill in the Lido) we asked the cook to make us a 3 egg omelet using real eggs. He had a large bowl of real eggs next to the grill (used for over easy, over medium, etc) so we figured he could just use those eggs for our omelet. But he refused and quietly told us he would get in trouble if he used the real eggs for an omelet. Omelets and scrambled were made from a large bowl of "glop" which was filled from a large carton (like an oversized milk carton).

Hank