Planning my Alaska Cruise - looking for camera advice

JSandage

This will be our 7th cruise, the 5th on Princess and I can't wait! I want to get a new point and shoot camera with a good zoom. I am looking at the Canon PowerShot SX720 HS which has a 40 zoom. Reading lots of reviews and of course they are mixed. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone that takes good pictures but I want something better because it's Alaska!!

What do you all use for your vacation photos??

A camera with a decent optical zoom lens and image stabilization so you can use it on a ship for photos at a distance , and it needs to be both x and y axis stabilization so it handles side to side and up and down motion.

• 2 weeks later...

The sx720 is a great little camera.  I use it along side my iPhone but to be honest I’ve used my phone more than my camera lately.  On a recent trip to Europe I used my canon about a third of the time.  Both took great picture but there was times I wanted the zoom.  

We bought the Canon SX730 specifically before our Alaska cruise in September. It is almost the same, just the newer version

The zoom is amazing.  Even DW was very impressed and she does get impressed easily with my tech toys.  

We have a small point and shoot that took nice pictures -- but being able to frame a shot any way you want was terrific. 

I highly recommend it for a small easy to carry camera