My review of the Jewel's 16-night WB Panama Canal cruise, Jan. 20-Feb. 5, 2017

Turtles06

Thank you!

Everything in the tourist area of Antigua is very close. We were dropped off at the Jade Museum, and my guess is you will be as well (it's set up for this, with a ton of restrooms!). Google that, and you should find it on a street map of Antigua. The ChocoMuseo is a few blocks away. We got to Antigua about 10:15am iirc; I think you should be fine. We bought some nice chocolate at the Museum (how can you not? :D)

Have a wonderful time!

Perfect! Thanks so much again...I am 75 days out and want to start packing!! :D

I will be doing Panama Canal in May on the NCL Bliss and have also decided not to do any excursions in Puerto Chiapas (have the Thermal Spa pass so hoping for a quiet day there). But I do plan to get off and check out the 'huts' and wondered if you knew whether they had wi-fi there and also what type of food in the restaurant (just looking for something like chips/salsa, Margarita while using the wi-fi, if any). Thanks!

And Turtles06...saw this review and beautiful photos when you first posted and still refer to it often. Thanks so much for the information.

Just my thoughts, but I did the Mangrove Tour in Puerto Chiapas in 2014 and didn't find it very entertaining, so I guess your decision to not do any is probably a good one.

Apologies for the delay in adding to this thread. I'm still not fully recovered from the virus I caught on the Jewel two weeks ago; the cough is nagging and persistent. It may be some form of flu; but I'm calling it the Central America Monkey Virus!

Returning to happier thoughts.... Our transit of the Panama Canal was as fascinating and spectacular as we'd hoped it would be. In preparation for the trip, my wife and I had each read "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough. It truly made us appreciate even more the extraordinary challenges of building the Canal, and I think it's a must-read for anyone visiting the Canal.

On Canal Day, the crew were up early setting up canopies and refreshments in the bow area on Deck 8. This area is normally off limits to passengers, but was opened up for the transit. From our balcony on Deck 10 above, I could see people starting to claim their spots around 6am. The ship had a narrator on board for the transit; his narration was broadcast into the public areas and on the cabin TVs.

We had a very sunny, hot, and humid day for the transit, totally expected for the dry season in Panama. The transit took the entire day, and was just spectacular. Here (and in posts below, since there's a photo limit per post) are just a few of the many photos that I took.

On our approach to the Gatun locks, we first have to pass the new Atlantic Bridge, which is under construction:

Atlantic%20Bridge%20approach%201024x556_zpsbjoa9h9g.jpg

The little creek-like inlet is all that you can see of the original French excavation:

Remnants%20of%20French%20excavation%201024x585_zps7olymk8y.jpg

Gatun locks, three chambers where we'll be lifted up a total of 85 feet (the Island Princess is in front of us):

We%20enter%20first%20Gatun%201024x651_zpspspuvut8.jpg

Gates open for us in Gatun locks:

Gates%20open%201st%20Gatun%201024x683_zpsubfz4x89.jpg

Only two feet on each side separate us from the lock wall! (Note one of the "mules" -- the electric locomotives -- that help keep our ship centered in the locks.)

Mule%20in%20Gatun%20and%20Ship%201024x683_zpsv4pmxnl7.jpg

Gatun

Gatun%20locks%201024x683_zpsekwewkzw.jpg

I was enjoying your review until I got to this post and realized none of the pictures are available to see. Glad you had a great cruise. Sorry you got ill.

Candi

• 6 months later...
Thank you for these very kind words, which I greatly appreciate. I apologize for the delayed reply; when you posted, I was in the hospital having a knee replacement! After years of pain, my right knee decided, during this cruise, to actually give up the ghost. Thank goodness I was still able to enjoy this extraordinary trip.

And thanks again to everyone who has read this thread and posted such kind comments.

Turtle,

Thank you for sharing this. I enjoyed your whole review. Now I am more excited after seeing all of those pictures. This is a once in a life time for us. I wish I could even write a review like that. You were so detailed and easy follow directions. Perfect. Just perfect!

I had knee replacement in 2016. So, I feel for you. I hope your recovery has gone well for you. Thanks again for the ideals on te other thread of mine. I appreciate it.

Edited by lillulu

• 10 months later...
On 2/12/2017 at 7:45 AM, Oakman58 said:

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I love the first photo in your report of the Princess cruise ship in the lock in front of you, great picture.

I had to chuckle when you mentioned the lighting in the Tsar’s Palace. Although I’ve never voiced a complaint, I have been known to use my smart phone to illuminate a menu. Yep, I’m an old fart.

I’m not old, yet need to either use my phone’s flashlight or reading glasses in a dimly lit restaurant if I’m wearing my contacts.  

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2017 at 12:32 PM, Turtles06 said:

I've never bought the chart showing our itinerary before, but I did on this cruise, as it was such an extraordinary adventure. We traveled 4767 nautical miles, taking us from one side of the continent to the other, thanks to the Panama Canal, one of most incredible accomplishments of human engineering. What a great trip!!!

Thanks again to everyone who has read this thread. If anyone has any questions, just ask!

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/turtles06_photos/NCL%20Jewel%20Panama%20Canal%202017/Itinerary%20Chart%204767%20nm_zpsv2fjvman.jpg

@Turtles06, I know this question is now more than three years late in being posed, but . . . did you buy the map on the ship?  Do you know if NCL still sells them?

8 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

@Turtles06, I know this question is now more than three years late in being posed, but . . . did you buy the map on the ship?  Do you know if NCL still sells them?

I did buy the itinerary map on board.  Also, this past January (2020), we took another Canal cruise, this time from NY to San Francisco on the Gem, 20 days.  It was fabulous.   NCL sold the map on board for that one as well (and I bought it).   Who knows what NCL will be doing once cruises like this resume, but I hope they will continue to sell these maps.

That January 2020 cruise turned out to be our last before the pandemic.  At least we had a great trip to look back on, although it feels like it was ten years ago, not earlier this same year.   

Our last moments on a ship, for the time being . . . 

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I did buy the itinerary map on board.  Also, this past January (2020), we took another Canal cruise, this time from NY to San Francisco on the Gem, 20 days.  It was fabulous.   NCL sold the map on board for that one as well (and I bought it).   Who knows what NCL will be doing once cruises like this resume, but I hope they will continue to sell these maps.

That January 2020 cruise turned out to be our last before the pandemic.  At least we had a great trip to look back on, although it feels like it was ten years ago, not earlier this same year.   

Our last moments on a ship, for the time being . . . 

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Thank you!  I'm hoping to be on Encore in April 2021 (#FingersCrossed!), my first NCL cruise, and think that would be an awesome souvenir.