Onboard travel sickness medication

CGreenhills

Hello,

Does anyone know the brand of travel sickness tablets that Cunard sell at the pursers desk? When I traveled across the pacific a few years ago I was very ill and these tablets worked wonders. Since then I've been over to Norway OK but looking out of the window at the wind I'm a bit worried about my trip next week. I'm going to buy something before I go in preparation.

thanks

Claire

Only twice did I experience sea sickness thru our 30+ years of sailing.

The first time was on the QE2 and our cabin stewardess handed me a little brown envelope with Phenergan tablets.

US medication suggested by our primary physician over the counter at a drugstore are Dramamine and Bonine.

Being one that suffers from Inner Ear problems and Dizziness from Sinus Problems I was advised I can also use my prescription medication meclizine (Antivert).

For quite a number of years I have been able to enjoy sailing without any thoughts of use medication.

Remember you should avoid alcohol with these drugs.

There you go, taking away all the fun of watching people who took their meds and still enjoyed the wine. ;p

Rather than take medication has anyone tried alternatives? I've seen bracelets that send electric pulses through you (I think one brand was Reliefband) and wondered if they're any good.

My wife has used the Sea Bands and saw relief with them. They are place on the wrists with the inside bead against the inner wrist.

They come with us on each cruise.

They just hand these out (sell them) at the purser's desk? Lots of drug interactions with the active ingredient in Avomine. It's Rx-only in the US.

https://www.healthline.com/health/promethazine-oral-tablet#interactions

If I see fellow passengers sticking out their tongue and rolling their eyes I'll now know why...

My wife and I have owned sailboats for the past 42 years. Early on we were given a great tip regarding seasickness - GINGER. When sever weather and/or rough seas require us to be below for any length of time we usually chew a few pieces of candied ginger. We also keep it onboard for any of our guests who have expressed a concern about seasickness. For 42 years it has worked perfectly and apparently can be taken with alcohol. Candied ginger usually can be found in a full service grocery stores with an international section.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
There's usually a plate of candied ginger as you're exiting Britannia, but the stuff they sell at Trader Joe's has a stronger ginger flavor.

So does Cunard charge for travel pills at the customer relations desk ? Just got back from sailing with Celebrity. They were complementary

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So does Cunard charge for travel pills at the customer relations desk ? Just got back from sailing with Celebrity. They were complementary

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was a while ago but we were charged $10 for a box of 10 at the Purser Office. We take our pills from home now that's prescribed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

It was a while ago but we were charged $10 for a box of 10 at the Purser Office. We take our pills from home now that's prescribed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I took what i thought was enough for the voyage but the forecast for the last couple of days was quite choppy and i only had enough for one day so i smiled nicely at the gorgeous man at customer services and said can i get just a couple of tabs from here incase it was a choppy sea tomorrow. He smiled and opened the draw and handed me a one packet of 2 .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took what i thought was enough for the voyage but the forecast for the last couple of days was quite choppy and i only had enough for one day so i smiled nicely at the gorgeous man at customer services and said can i get just a couple of tabs from here incase it was a choppy sea tomorrow. He smiled and opened the draw and handed me a one packet of 2 .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good negotiating! No need for the other 8......

• Like 1