Bad tablemates...I just cannot do it again!

!MSteacher

I need help! We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, teen daughter) Given that most MDR's do not have 3-top tables, it is understandable (and expected) that we would be seated in the MDR with strangers. This was not something that bothered us because it was an opportunity to make friends and get to know new and possibly interesting people. However, on the past 2 cruises, we have had THE WORST tablemates! It literally ruined some meals. We found ourselves dreading going to dinner! How can we avoid this issue on our next cruise: NCL Western Meditteranean?

Bad tablemates can absolutely ruin a cruise but you won't have that problem on NCL. Not being forced to share a table at dinner is one of the many things we love about NCL!

No "open seating" at breakfast or lunch in the MDR. No assigned seating for dinner nor are you asked if you would like to sit with others. You can enjoy all your meals with your family and you can do it at a time of your choosing, not the cruise lines!!

Have a great cruise...

On one of the cruises we were on (not NCL) we were assigned table mates as it was only DH and I. We were actually looking forward to meeting new people, but the couple they put at our table did not speak any English (they were from one of the Scandinavian countries, I think?) so it was very awkward. They didn't seem to want to even try to get to know us. They conversed between themselves and we conversed between ourselves which seemed rude since we were basically speaking languages we each didn't understand at a table in front of each other. They may have felt the same way since they disappeared the third night and we never saw them again.

I need help! We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, teen daughter) Given that most MDR's do not have 3-top tables, it is understandable (and expected) that we would be seated in the MDR with strangers. This was not something that bothered us because it was an opportunity to make friends and get to know new and possibly interesting people. However, on the past 2 cruises, we have had THE WORST tablemates! It literally ruined some meals. We found ourselves dreading going to dinner! How can we avoid this issue on our next cruise: NCL Western Meditteranean?

In 2013 we were seated with the most disgusting people on the planet .Now we only sit by ourselves.

Unless you request to sit with other parties, NCL will seat your party at its own table.

Can you request a table for two for breakfast and lunch also?

As I said in the post right before yours, the only time NCL will seat you with another party is if you ask them to. Otherwise you don’t need to request to sit by yourself, that’s what they automatically do.

Dining on NCL is like going to a restaurant at home where you tell them the number in your party and you sit with family/friends. And I love how on NCL you can eat at whatever time you want — no set dinner times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have never been seated with other when we had less than a full table. I've never seen NCL do that unless the guests request it.

You're not on Disney, Princess, or RCCL any more. NCL Freestyle dining allows you to eat when you want, when it fit your schedule. You are never seated with anyone else (unless you request it). Just like going to a restaurant at home, you get a table (any size) to your self. You don't have to deal with stranger. You don't have to wait for that chatty person who slows down the meal for the whole table. If you want fast service, just let your waiter know and they will speed up service. Enjoy!

It is interesting to read that NCL no longer ask if you want to share. We actually did wonder why we were not asked on our last cruise.

I was asked last week on the Escape for dining in the Manhattan Dining Room... only once when I was alone and there was a queue... two ladies behind me were also asked and agreed to join me.

However, in answer to the OP... even if asked you can say no.

the couple they put at our table did not speak any English (they were from one of the Scandinavian countries, I think?) so it was very awkward. They didn't seem to want to even try to get to know us. They conversed between themselves and we conversed between ourselves which seemed rude since we were basically speaking languages we each didn't understand at a table in front of each other. They may have felt the same way since they disappeared the third night and we never saw them again.

If they couldn't speak any English they were probably not from Scandinavia. Maybe they choosed not to speak English.

I've never known NCL to "share" one table. However, the Breakaway class ships put way more tables in the specialty restaurants as before. A table for 2 is almost sharing a table with the table next to you. The tables are almost inches apart. It is fun when you get to meet fun people. One couple sat next to us at Cagneys who we really liked. They were from CA and it was funny because we ran into them everywhere on the ship during the entire week. They were even on one of our excursions. We also have had people who were cold as ice. Nothing bad or to ruin a meal though.

As mentioned several times now, just let the hostess know you prefer a table for just the 3 of you. I totally agree about bad table mates and in the older days you would be stuck for the entire cruise unless you changed seating time or did something else. This is why we love "freestyle" I will add, we basically are very friendly and do enjoy meeting others, but being with someone you have noting in common with can be a drag. Good luck!!!

If they couldn't speak any English they were probably not from Scandinavia. Maybe they choosed not to speak English.

Yeah, it may have been German, I don't know. Definitely not Spanish or French. They told us they don't speak English but maybe they just didn't want to. It was too bad because we're usually friendly types and would've enjoyed getting to know them.