Roatan

TandK0826

I went to TripAdvisor for ideas and what we ended up booking (our cruise is in January, so I haven't done this yet) is a private site seeing / cultural tour with Roatan Trips and Tours (number from US is 713-931-8987). There were some good reviews of this company there. They have each party customize what they want to do. It's just $25 pp for a party of four or more plus any addons you choose and a fairly reasonable price per person for those. We don't have any addons though. For us it will be site seeing and photo stops on hilltops overseeing Roatan, taking us into the communities (lunch with guide and some locals and learning a little bit about customs and traditions) , visiting a school, visiting a church, and visiting a local orphanage. We'll be prepared and plan to give a charitable donation too, to either the orphanage or the Kairos Outreach and Educational and Soccer Program that this company is big on supporting (major sponsor is a partner church in Portland Oregon).

Any way in our group of nine, four of us will do this tour, three will hang out on the ship, and two will go scuba diving (my brother and his girlfriend do a lot of diving and my brother said that the diving here is good in Roatan too (has been before as a cruise stop.)). They love to dive and will dive here, in Costa Maya, and in Cozumel (so three out of our four stops for this cruise, as they can arrange good diving at those three places).

Trip Advisor review link:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303872-d3632885-Reviews-Roatan_Trips_Tour-Coxen_Hole_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

http://www.roatantripsandtours.com/

Edited by kathy884

Any recommendations on what to do there? Been doing some research but nothing has really caught my eye. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

We used Ronys tours- and you build your own agenda with them. We just had to hold a sloth :). Pics and details are here directly https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/#Roatan_Honduras_Ronys_Tours_wwwronystourscom

Had a great time and would use them again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used Ronys tours- and you build your own agenda with them. We just had to hold a sloth :). Pics and details are here directly https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/#Roatan_Honduras_Ronys_Tours_wwwronystourscom

Had a great time and would use them again!

We did Rony's our last visit to Roatan. Except for the crappy weather which of course only mother nature controls, we loved the tour and yes, loved building our own itinerary. And as I reported earlier they price was very reasonable.

We booked a private tour for 23 with Victor Bodden Tours. Our guide was Elyn, and she was wonderful. We chose to visit the sloths and monkeys first, with a beach break at Sol y Mar resort, and a quick tour on the way back to the ship. Sol y Mar was just ok. It sounds like West Beach might have been a better choice for the beach break. In any case though, we all loved the tour and highly recommend them.

I have had two really good NCL excursions in Roatan:

Maya Key:

1. It is just across from the dock, literally you can see the ship from the private island.
  2. The resort is clean, including restrooms/changing areas
  3. Beach is close to the water
  4. Sweet pool
  5. Includes a really tasty lunch and non alcoholic beverages
  6. Animal rescue results in several different types of animals on display, including an option to get inside a cage with monkeys who literally climb all over you; gorgeous birds and sea lions also on site
  7. We didn't snorkel, but there's area for that
  8. I've worn the t-shirt I bought there for about 3yrs, wears well
  9. Return shuttles throughout the day, so go back whenever you want, you're not stuck there if you want to head back or just explore more in port

Ziplining - NCL excursion, not the option in port

1. Van ride provided a great tour of Roatan and a chance to hear about life there
  2. I had never done it before and was definitely nervous
  3. Their safety briefing/demonstration calmed me
  4. They fit you with equipment to ensure it is on correctly, meticulous and friendly
  5. Offered to ride with anyone that was really nervous, I did fine solo
  6. Lots of runs, may be a dozen
  7. Photos of you in flight available for purchase
  8. Fun and friendly group of guides
  9. I was almost doing a no hands move by the end, really got comfortable during the excursion

I have checked Ziplining in the jungle off my bucket list, but open to returning to Maya Key.

1. Definitely a top adventure excursion (ATV in Costa Maya is my other)

I have had two really good NCL excursions in Roatan:

Maya Key:

1. It is just across from the dock, literally you can see the ship from the private island.
  2. The resort is clean, including restrooms/changing areas
  3. Beach is close to the water
  4. Sweet pool
  5. Includes a really tasty lunch and non alcoholic beverages
  6. Animal rescue results in several different types of animals on display, including an option to get inside a cage with monkeys who literally climb all over you; gorgeous birds and sea lions also on site
  7. We didn't snorkel, but there's area for that
  8. I've worn the t-shirt I bought there for about 3yrs, wears well
  9. Return shuttles throughout the day, so go back whenever you want, you're not stuck there if you want to head back or just explore more in port

Ziplining - NCL excursion, not the option in port

1. Van ride provided a great tour of Roatan and a chance to hear about life there
  2. I had never done it before and was definitely nervous
  3. Their safety briefing/demonstration calmed me
  4. They fit you with equipment to ensure it is on correctly, meticulous and friendly
  5. Offered to ride with anyone that was really nervous, I did fine solo
  6. Lots of runs, may be a dozen
  7. Photos of you in flight available for purchase
  8. Fun and friendly group of guides
  9. I was almost doing a no hands move by the end, really got comfortable during the excursion

I have checked Ziplining in the jungle off my bucket list, but open to returning to Maya Key.

1. Definitely a top adventure excursion (ATV in Costa Maya is my other)

Thank you for your reply. We may check out that Maya Key. I heard you get bit up there quite a bit though. True??

I am going with Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout. You can book with them directly on facebook and it is well reviewed. You are able to customize your experience to what you want... beach, snorkel, tour and transportation.

I did this last week (without the snorkel/beach), it was a great time. I booked with discoverroatan.net.

Thank you for your reply. We may check out that Maya Key. I heard you get bit up there quite a bit though. True??

That isn't something my family remembers about our experience. I assume you mean insects? The monkeys grab, but no they didn't bite. The monkey experience was one of our favorite memories.

Any recommendations on what to do there? Been doing some research but nothing has really caught my eye. Thanks in advance!!

If you snorkel or dive that will be the best stop on your voyage. Go to the western end of the island, either on an NCL excursion to Tabyana or on your own. The reef is literally within 25 yards of the beach.and you can swim for hours and not see the same thing twice.

That isn't something my family remembers about our experience. I assume you mean insects? The monkeys grab, but no they didn't bite. The monkey experience was one of our favorite memories.
Yes it was the insects. Just read somewhere that people have really been getting bit bad.