What should we do in Costa Maya?

Sky616

What would you do here in our case? Family of four travelling next April including 2 boys ages 17 and 9, Never been to Costa Maya, we were supposed to go there in 2007 but Hurricane Dean changed those plans. We are looking to do the ruins tour with Native Choice (one of the shorter ones, not the all day one) or just a beach day maybe a pay as you go type with beach loungers. We are already doing all inclusive at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel and doing the Fun n Sun with Victor Bodden in Roatan on this cruise. So we do have some beach time already planned but wanted to see a little culture and history for the kids somewhere along the line. I know my wife would just rather do the beach. I know you can't put yourself in our shoes but just wanted some opinions. Are the beaches in Costa Maya not to be missed? If we do a morning ruins tour would we have time for an afternoon beach break for a few hours? We are in port 8 am to 5 pm. Thank You all.

One word. OK, two. Maya Chan. Best beach day we've encountered. Returning there November 24th.

There are a number of threads on this forum describing cruiser's experiences there. They do fill up quickly as they get a lot of repeat business.

Enjoy whatever you choose. You are making memories with your family, which will be there long after your children move out.

If you are looking for a pretty beach with clear water and nice sand, check out Blue Kay. It's the first beach on the Malecon, which is closest to the port. There's no charge to go there (but some have reported a $5 cover charge and this includes a drink or two...so basically free) and it's really beautiful. It's only a $2 ride back to the port.

Check out my complete review, listed in my signature line, for TONS of pictures that will help you decide. There's decent snorkeling there too.

Also...the previous poster mentioned going to Maya Chan. That's an All Inclusive and not what you are looking for...especially if you are doing the ruins for half a day. You don't want to pay for an AI and not get to use it all. I'm not even sure how you'd be able to go there because the folks at Maya Chan pick everyone up at the same time and take them there.

If you are looking for a pretty beach with clear water and nice sand, check out Blue Kay. It's the first beach on the Malecon, which is closest to the port. There's no charge to go there (but some have reported a $5 cover charge and this includes a drink or two...so basically free) and it's really beautiful. It's only a $2 ride back to the port.

Check out my complete review, listed in my signature line, for TONS of pictures that will help you decide. There's decent snorkeling there too.

Also...the previous poster mentioned going to Maya Chan. That's an All Inclusive and not what you are looking for...especially if you are doing the ruins for half a day. You don't want to pay for an AI and not get to use it all. I'm not even sure how you'd be able to go there because the folks at Maya Chan pick everyone up at the same time and take them there.

Thanks for the post. We did book the 4 hours ruins tour with Native Choice so we should be back around 1. The place you mention sounds perfect to go to for 2 hours or so. Is there a place to get some lunch there as we don't get anything on the ruins tour to eat?

If you're looking for a very cheap but fun day, just go to Mahahual, grab a beach lounger and have a great beach day. The food is great and the beer is cheap ($1 Corona's !). There are hammocks at some of the beaches that are wonderful.

We usually go to the Krazy Lobster. I recommend you take a cab and not the tram (basically the same price) b/c the cab will take you directly to where you want to go.

2 cautions:

1. There are roaming vendors that can be very annoying but are not pushy. Just tell them you're not interested and they will move on. ....but there WILL be another one right behind them, guaranteed.

2. If you want to take advantage of the cheap ($20) 1 hour massage, do NOT allow anyone else to "find" a masseuse for you. They will double the price and keep half for themselves. Arrange your OWN massage and insist that you will only pay $20.

Thanks for the post. We did book the 4 hours ruins tour with Native Choice so we should be back around 1. The place you mention sounds perfect to go to for 2 hours or so. Is there a place to get some lunch there as we don't get anything on the ruins tour to eat?

Yes they have a restaurant there or you can order with a waiter and eat there at the beach. Within my review, there's a picture of the menu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If you're looking for a very cheap but fun day, just go to Mahahual, grab a beach lounger and have a great beach day. The food is great and the beer is cheap ($1 Corona's !). There are hammocks at some of the beaches that are wonderful.

We usually go to the Krazy Lobster. I recommend you take a cab and not the tram (basically the same price) b/c the cab will take you directly to where you want to go.

2 cautions:

1. There are roaming vendors that can be very annoying but are not pushy. Just tell them you're not interested and they will move on. ....but there WILL be another one right behind them, guaranteed.

2. If you want to take advantage of the cheap ($20) 1 hour massage, do NOT allow anyone else to "find" a masseuse for you. They will double the price and keep half for themselves. Arrange your OWN massage and insist that you will only pay $20.

May I ask where these $1 Coronas are? :)

The Mayan ruins of Chacchoben is probably the one you want. The ruins are located about an hour from the cruise port, which will leave some time after to lounge around. Most cruise lines also offer the Chacchoben ruin tour combined with a buffet lunch and private beach break, which sounds like just what you are asking for. The ruins at Kohunlich or Dzibeche are too far away to combine with a beach visit, but might leave some time for souvenir shopping in the Costa Maya port.

One independent place I hear recommended in these forums for beach massage is the Tropicante, one of several restaurant/bar/resorts on the beach near Costa Maya. I have not been there myself. Your tour guide might can drop you off near there at the end of the tour. Here is their website.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/tropicante.html

I hope this helps.

The Mayan ruins of Chacchoben is probably the one you want. The ruins are located about an hour from the cruise port, which will leave some time after to lounge around. Most cruise lines also offer the Chacchoben ruin tour combined with a buffet lunch and private beach break, which sounds like just what you are asking for. The ruins at Kohunlich or Dzibeche are too far away to combine with a beach visit, but might leave some time for souvenir shopping in the Costa Maya port.

One independent place I hear recommended in these forums for beach massage is the Tropicante, one of several restaurant/bar/resorts on the beach near Costa Maya. I have not been there myself. Your tour guide might can drop you off near there at the end of the tour. Here is their website.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/tropicante.html

I hope this helps.

Yes thank you. We are doing the 4 hour Chaccohoben ruins tour with Native Choice and then they are dropping us off at Tropicante for a few hours. It will be a full but fun day for our family.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you all for all of your great info. Can't wait to go, it hasn't been above freezing here for a week and not supposed to go above for another 6 days.

Be sure to contact Steve at Tropicante and make a reservation! They have tables, lounge chairs and umbrellas available.

Be sure to contact Steve at Tropicante and make a reservation! They have tables, lounge chairs and umbrellas available.

I did contact Steve and he got back to me fairly quickly. He has us down for a reservation in the afternoon.