Need suggestions of things to do - golf cart is already rented

newbeestl

Hello, I've got a few ideas in mind, but I'm looking for suggestions of things you love to do while in Grand Turk. Family of 4, kids are 13 and 11. We'll have our own snorkel gear and plan to stop a place or two to snorkel, we know it won't be that good, but it will be better than the snorkeling is in Illinois! :D

So any places or things to do that you would suggest to someone with a golf cart would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Stop at Governors Beach for snorkeling; it's reported to be pretty good there. It's technically walkable from the pier but having a golf cart would make it an easy stop. You'll see it as you approach the dock to the left of Jack's Shack (and across a smaller commercial pier). Look for the half-sunken ship in front of the beach.

You could also try snorkeling off the south tip of the island, as there is at least one reef there (we went to it during a snuba expedition). It's accessible by road and golf cart but I don't know the exact route to get there.

There is also decent snorkeling off the beach by the pier, surprisingly enough, out by the safety line near Jack's Shack and then working your way back toward Margaritaville. Oddly enough, we saw almost no fish at all on the other, undeveloped side of the pier.

Since you'll have a golf cart, don't forget to visit the lighthouse and maybe spend a bit of time or money in Cockburn Town. Grand Turk really needs tourism dollars right now.

Have your children take some of the books they have read or purchase new ones. Stop in Cockburn Town and visit some of the craft stands. Many of them have kids about who would love to get a new book. Great for your kids to share. Take any extras to Jacks Shack and they will get them to the library which is in great need.

We took our golf cart and explored by heading straight to the lighthouse and seen the donkeys and took pictures, then started heading back and stopped at Bohio for a little while and then made a final stop at Governors Beach <--- amazingly beautiful there and not many people there (maybe 2 or 3). I have a complete review of our day with the golf cart, starting HERE. There's TONS of pictures in the review. You'll have to scroll down to around post #396 where we picked up the golf cart and headed out. It was a great day.

Have your children take some of the books they have read or purchase new ones. Stop in Cockburn Town and visit some of the craft stands. Many of them have kids about who would love to get a new book. Great for your kids to share. Take any extras to Jacks Shack and they will get them to the library which is in great need.

Is the library there still in need of books? I know it burned down a while back and they were asking for donations from cruise visitors, but hadn't heard anything new about that...or whether the hurricane had damaged the new library.

Is Jack's the official book drop-off point?

We'll be visiting as part of a big charter cruise in February and if there is still a need, I'll post the info to our forum and FB groups...should hopefully result in lots of books for them. :halo:

What an awesome idea. I have tons of kids books around the house.

Pellaz, thanks for the ideas! We'll be hitting Governor's Beach for sure. I will check out the south tip of the island too. Lighthouse and Cockburn Town is also on the list.

mitsugirly, great review! I learned a lot reading it and looking at the pictures.

I'll try to get the scoop on book donations while we're there. We're bringing a backpack of stuff for kids on the Dominican Republic, so we won't have room for books this time. I'll report back what I find out.

I see a few spots on the map that you can check out the east side of the island, might be a nice view, so we'll check that out too.

I've got maps downloaded to a GPS device, so I'm hoping we won't need paper maps and we won't get lost!

Thanks all!

So you can just drive golf carts on the main road like a car? Also, you have to refill it with gas when you return, correct? How much is gas there? Do they get in the way of traffic? At Wet Money you can rent a car for the same price as a golf cart so just curious.

Edited by kris_the_miss

So you can just drive golf carts on the main road like a car? Also, you have to refill it with gas when you return, correct? How much is gas there?

Yes you drive it on the road like and with the cars (there's no much traffic there).

Yes you are supposed to refill the gas. You couldn't even tell we used any in ours after being gone all day so we just gave them $5 and didn't bother stopping to top off. It's cheap to use.