Glasgow Cruise Excursions

I will be going on a British isle cruise. I have decided on what I am going to do onall the ports except for Glasgow, Scotland. I have narrowed it down to 3 excursions that I would like togo on ,but can’t decide between them and wondered if someone has been to any and can offer an up an opinion on them.

The choices are to visit:

1.Culzean Castle.

2. Inveraray Castle

3. FalkirkWheel.

Edited by ice_berg_ahead
too many spaces

There are a couple of tours that sound interesting but we just aren't going to be in port long enough. Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond were the ones I was looking at but so far the ones I've come across get back to Glasgow too late to make the ship.

There are a couple of tours that sound interesting but we just aren't going to be in port long enough. Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond were the ones I was looking at but so far the ones I've come across get back to Glasgow too late to make the ship.

Although its billed as Glasgow the ship actually berths in Greenock which is about 20miles west of Glasgow, and just about an hour by rail into the city centre ..I see on some of your other posts that you never travel on a train before..but the train is fairly easy to use as there are no changes enroute.

My apologies if you already knew where the ship docked

I did realize that ship docked in Greenock but hadn't realized the distance to Glasgow.

I actually have been a train journey in the US, in the 8th grade, more years ago then I like to think about.

I'm looking at a Rabbie's tour to Stirling & Lake Lomond, right now. Going back and forth between Stirling & Culzan.

Thanks

Sandi

Glasgow is the port I'm having trouble with also. Right now I'm leaning towards the HoHo bus with stops for some retail therapy.
We enjoyed the HoHo bus in Glasgow on our cruise this summer. We stopped at the maritime museum, Kelvingrove Museum, Macintosh House, and cathedral. Getting the train to Glasgow and return from Greenock was easy. The only slightly difficult part was finding the right train back to Greenock. The Glasgow train station is huge and we were heading back to the ship during rush hour.

On regular trips to stay on Loch Lomond we often visit Inverary. Never done the castle as we visit over Christmas when it is closed.

Inverary is a pleasant town alongside a loch with spectacular views, great whisky shop on the High Street and the road to it, known as ‘Rest and be Thankful’ is a highlight.

Like a lot of Scotland its a lot nicer when it is sunny!

Have you looked for a ship's tour to these places? Although private tours are usually preferable, if there is a time issue, sometimes the cruise line's excursion can be best. They can cut it finer for the return time.

We did a great ship tour to Stirling Castle and the Battle of Bannockburn visitor centre.

On an earlier visit, we took the train to Glasgow and did the hoho bus. Enjoyed the transport museum particularly! Also the shops in Glasgow are good.

I did realize that ship docked in Greenock but hadn't realized the distance to Glasgow.

I actually have been a train journey in the US, in the 8th grade, more years ago then I like to think about.

I'm looking at a Rabbie's tour to Stirling & Lake Lomond, right now. Going back and forth between Stirling & Culzan.

Thanks

Sandi

I was looking at Rabbie’s for next year, and communicated with their office. They are not planning on offering the group shore excursions from Greenock next summer.

On an earlier visit, we took the train to Glasgow and did the hoho bus. Enjoyed the transport museum particularly! Also the shops in Glasgow are good.

How was your experience with the train into Glasgow? We’re thinking about a tour in Glasgow from 11:00-3:00, and if we decide on it we will probably use the train to get into the city and back to port. Our hours in Greenock are 7:00-6:00.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How was your experience with the train into Glasgow? We’re thinking about a tour in Glasgow from 11:00-3:00, and if we decide on it we will probably use the train to get into the city and back to port. Our hours in Greenock are 7:00-6:00.

The train is quick and easy. There is a train about every 15 minutes and journey time about half an hour. Short walk from ship to station. Should be no problem to fit in with your tour times. Look at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetables. Helpful people in the cruise terminal will direct you to the station. Buy your ticket on the day at the station ticket office.

The train is quick and easy. There is a train about every 15 minutes and journey time about half an hour. Short walk from ship to station. Should be no problem to fit in with your tour times. Look at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetables. Helpful people in the cruise terminal will direct you to the station. Buy your ticket on the day at the station ticket office.

Perfect! Thank you!

"I was looking at Rabbie’s for next year, and communicated with their office. They are not planning on offering the group shore excursions from Greenock next summer."

Back to the drawing board I guess.

BusyBus on there website is showing an excursion from Greenock, which might be of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an earlier reply I posted for things to do in Glasgow

NOT TRUE Originally Posted by graciallen

Scott99- what would you suggest do do in Glasgow?

Glasgow, (my home town) does not have the historical past of Edinburgh. It was more of a commercial and industrial city, therefore there is no castle etc.

There is however plenty to do and see.

There is a HOHO bus which leaves from George Square and takes you round most of the places.

In George Square itself, you will find the City Chambers (town hall). Tripadvisor clients voted this the No1 attraction in Glasgow. It really is a stunning building.

If museums and art is your thing, about 100 yards from George Sq., in Queen St, there is the Museum of Modern Art.

Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery is world class. There is so much to see in the museum and the Art Gallery boasts many originals from eg Picasso, Dali, Monet, Degas, Rembrandt etc.

The Peoples Palace at Glasgow Green (city centre park) focuses on Glasgow history.

Entrance to all museums in Glasgow is free.

Glasgow Cathedral is a magnificent Gothic building, parts of which date back to the 1200s. Beside this there the Religious Museum and Provands Lordship which is the oldest house in Glasgow (1471)

The Glasgow School of Art was designed by Charles Rennie MacKintosh and is a popular attraction.

Glasgow is also a fantastic city for shopping with Buchanan Street the most popular area.

The city centre is fairly compact. It is also safe ( as long as you take normal precautions)

If I can be more specific about anything, please let me know.