luggage weight limits on silverexplorer buenos aires ushuaia

lanita

Our instructions say that we are limited to 50 pounds for checked luggage and 17 pounds for carryon for the Buenos Aires-Ushuaia flight. That doesn't seem like enough for an 18 day cruise.

Also we are taking the Iguazu Fall side trip where the weight limits are also limited.

My question is this. Has anyone out there done this cruise and do they actually weigh the luggage? And do they give you the option to pay extra if you are over the weight limit?

Thank you. Lana

Haven't been to Antarctica yet, but have been on charter flights to Svalbard on Silversea Explorer a couple of times. They had the 50 lb,1 checked bag weight limit, which I was really careful in staying under, weighing the luggage, leaving stuff at home so I could comply. It was really annoying to get to the airport for our flight from Oslo to Svalbard and see lots of people with huge amounts of luggage which was not being weighed or counted. If they are going to publish a weight limit, they should enforce it.

One guest filled his jacket pockets with camera lenses as he was determined to keep them with him. Sorry I do not know the charges for extra weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I resemble that remark...:)

There is no getting around the carry on weight limit other than subterfuge. Like putting the lenses in your pocket or in your DW backpack.

As you noted they were picky on the return. SS Rep was involved in the check in as they piled the luggage together and she handed out boarding passes. On the return it was a normal airline check in procedure.

Our local float plane service makes you stand on the scale with your luggage. The limit is 250 lbs per person. My husband can take nothing. I end up carrying all the carry-on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:(This is not just an "oops" for us but a huuuuge "OOPS!"

We'll be on Explorer's TWENTY-THREE day Antarctica expedition (23 Jan. 2018), and in addition to toting tons of camera stuff (we are so cheap) have packed our own boots. (Well I do have a multo-pocket fishing jacket somewhere around here...)

Darn it, we could have booked a direct flight to Buenos Aires if we had known. Considering an inquiry to Aerolineas about extending our flight to Ushuaia. Plus we will email our TA and request she ask the carrier (does anyone know its name?) if they allow extra, or overweight, bags with a surcharge...

We are also on the 23 day trip in January but were unaware of the baggage limits. Where did you see this? We haven't got our book yet (and to complicate matters we just learned our TA passed away).

We've been to Antarctica before, quite a few years ago, the flight was a full size commercial jet and the carry on limit was ignored. I don't recall any checked bag limit. Please keep us posted with regard to what you learn. Thanks.

The weight limits mentioned seem similar to many around the world... even for international flights. Of course there are exceptions, but unless you're in Business or 1st Class, one checked 23 kg bag and one 5 kg carry-on has become pretty much standard.

What bothers me is, on Antarctica expedition cruises, all the other lines I've seen lend the pax boots. SS rents them for $70 (ridiculous) or offers for purchase at $120.

I'm not bringing my own because of weight, and won't buy them for the same reason (and the price). $70 won't break me, but from a 'all-inclusive' cruise line, it seems like 'nickle & dimeing'.

Watching this thread with interest.

Our 15-night cruise to Antarctica on the Cloud is not until December 2018.

Already purchased our boots from Bogs (figure we can use them in the Sierras). Been collecting cold weather gear from end of season sales.

Did use some of it when we visited Longyearbyen Svalbard last July (spent 9 days above the Arctic Circle).

I think we are leaving from Santiago in a SS charter so same rules apply?

We are also on the 23 day trip in January but were unaware of the baggage limits. Where did you see this? We haven't got our book yet (and to complicate matters we just learned our TA passed away).

We've been to Antarctica before, quite a few years ago, the flight was a full size commercial jet and the carry on limit was ignored. I don't recall any checked bag limit. Please keep us posted with regard to what you learn. Thanks.

Hello again Peter & Kathy

We contacted our TA and rec'd a printed sheet from Silversea which included the following info--Flight LA 7964 (LATAM) from AEP to USH on 01/23 leaving@ 7:20 AM. Indeed there is a restriction of 8kg on one carry-on and a total of 23kg for one(or 2 smaller)checked bags. Furthermore, we were told we could not pay for an additional bag or an overweight bag.

I went on LATAM's website and saw further restrictions on the carryon and checked luggage size, however, reasonable rates are given for an additional bag, etc. It may have to do with Silversea's charter agreement w/ LATAM that we are not offered this option. As my husband mentioned, we could have booked our Delta (AR) flights onward to Ushuaia @ no additional cost w/ 2 checked bags/person! I've been worried about this all along. We'll be wearing our heavy rubber boots, etc. on the plane. Any other ideas? Desiree

We took the SS charter from BA to Ushuaia and they were very picky about the luggage weight especially on the return journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the Explorer 2 years ago January for 18 days (Falklands, So. Georgia, Antarctica). We had the opposite experience. They take your checked bags at the hotel the night before in BA. So no comments about overweight (you don't see your bags again until Ushuaia). They didn't weigh carry-ons upon boarding. Ditto checking in on the way home at Ushuaia - didn't weigh bags. I complained to Silversea after we got home about the stingy weight limits (we were all grousing about it on the ship!) when they didn't weigh anything and it IS a full-size jet!

Shipping a bag is an interesting option - but we're much too paranoid about loss/misconnect for that. Already paring down our Fashionista wardrobe ;-) & eliminating a few backup items. Chose a couple of deep-pocket coats for the flight, and considering purchase of a photo vest. We're fortunate to use superzoom cameras (1200 & 1350 mm) for wildlife photography, which saves multo weight over DSLRs & lenses, plus a GoPro & waterproof point 'n shoot for inclement weather. Plus, we'll wear our boots flying to Ushuaia. And maybe - hah -a watch on each wrist? :D

The weight limits mentioned seem similar to many around the world... even for international flights. Of course there are exceptions, but unless you're in Business or 1st Class, one checked 23 kg bag and one 5 kg carry-on has become pretty much standard.

What bothers me is, on Antarctica expedition cruises, all the other lines I've seen lend the pax boots. SS rents them for $70 (ridiculous) or offers for purchase at $120.

I'm not bringing my own because of weight, and won't buy them for the same reason (and the price). $70 won't break me, but from a 'all-inclusive' cruise line, it seems like 'nickle & dimeing'.

The charge for borrowing boots is something new, if it exists. We have sailed Explorer multiple times in the Arctic. We brought our own boots the first time, but when I realized they have plenty of boots onboard, we just have used those in the 3 voyages since. And have never been charged extra.

The charge for borrowing boots is something new, if it exists. We have sailed Explorer multiple times in the Arctic. We brought our own boots the first time, but when I realized they have plenty of boots onboard, we just have used those in the 3 voyages since. And have never been charged extra.

Then this is something new. There is a link on the Silversea website to the "official outfitter". They give you the option of renting or buying. $70 rental + $100 deposit (delivered to ship), OR buying for $120. I decided to buy them. I got the exact same Bog's boots on Amazon for $86 and my husband's were $89. I also bought all the clothes on a combination of sites: Lands End, Eddie Bauer, and Moosejaw. Lands End is where I bought most items for 50% off. I also found some long underwear at Costco for $6.99 (tops or bottoms).