A couple shore excursion questions...

honeymoon cruiser 614

Hi all - First of all, I did try to look it up on the thread but I couldn't find answers to these questions. Any help would be appreciated as this is our first time on Oceania.

1) On the regular shore excursions (not OE, OS, etc.) what is the average size of the group? I assume it is usually the size of a coach bus most of the time (holding about 50-60 people). I know this could change depending on the excursion but I'm thinking generally.

2) Is there any way to find out the time of the shore excursions beforehand? I was just trying to plan on days that where we are in port for a long time but an excursion we are interested in is only for a few hours.

3) I saw that some people were mentioning discounts on booking excursions? We get 6 free on our cruise but are considering booking some additional ones. Does anyone know about these discounts?

4) Some people also posted about unlimited shore excursions? How might I get some more information on that?

Thank you everyone so much! Our cruise isn't until next summer but I want to plan as much as I can in advance. I'm looking at a few private tours for some of the busier locations we will be in. Thanks!

A lot of questions there. My first response is to use Cruise Critic Roll Calls for your cruise and not do Oceania Cruises. Take the other options doing private tours.

Beyond that, each cruise has its own number of cruises that will qualify one for YW and its discount. That will be the number of tours required, in addition to the OLife tours chosen if that option is taken.

My best advice, beyond not taking O shore tours is:

1. Learn, on the date of the tour, where O’s shuttle bus drops off and picked us cruisers.

2. If appropriate, tell your O shore tour guide you are exiting the tour at a convenient point, before returning to the ship, and strike out on your own. Take the shuttle back to the ship.

We have done this multiple times. We take an O cruise because a portion of it interests us, then bailed out to sightsee in depth on our own.

We cruise for the sole purpose of seeing the ports of call. We have zero interest in getting back to the ship four hours early. We have zero interest in getting back for an American lunch aboard ship. Different cruisers have different objectives. O tours can be used as a tool to facilitate a good day ashore. That tool is best used when consolidated with an individual plan to maximize one’s shore visit.

Always inform your guide when and where you are exiting the ship’s tours out of courtesy.

Hi all - First of all, I did try to look it up on the thread but I couldn't find answers to these questions. Any help would be appreciated as this is our first time on Oceania.

1) On the regular shore excursions (not OE, OS, etc.) what is the average size of the group? I assume it is usually the size of a coach bus most of the time (holding about 50-60 people). I know this could change depending on the excursion but I'm thinking generally.

2) Is there any way to find out the time of the shore excursions beforehand? I was just trying to plan on days that where we are in port for a long time but an excursion we are interested in is only for a few hours.

3) I saw that some people were mentioning discounts on booking excursions? We get 6 free on our cruise but are considering booking some additional ones. Does anyone know about these discounts?

4) Some people also posted about unlimited shore excursions? How might I get some more information on that?

Thank you everyone so much! Our cruise isn't until next summer but I want to plan as much as I can in advance. I'm looking at a few private tours for some of the busier locations we will be in. Thanks!

All good questions for those interested in taking O's shorex's as their O life choice

1. On the regular shore excursions (not OE, OS, etc.) what is the average size of the group?

Only speculation but I think it would vary greatly depending on participation. They perhaps have some hard number such as 44 max on a bus that holds 50. I suspect they try to divide the number or pax by the buses so 120 pax would be closer to 40 in each of 3 buses rather than 2 x 50 and 1 x20. I don't know if there were 100 pax if they would pack 2 buses with 50 each or that would be over some (unknown to me) max of 44(?) so would get a third bus

2) Is there any way to find out the time of the shore excursions beforehand?

When your excursions are open for booking the start times will be posted. As per Caroldoll some might be be run twice per day and the choice is in a drop down. Getting that information much beforehand might be hard to get. Those on the same itinerary but earlier cruise would know and you could reach out to them through the roll call but could be a lot of work for someone (hmmm. they would get a pdf of the excursion they could maybe send you). Or maybe your TA can get that pdf for you if you can identify a cruise with the ports that is soon enough to have the excursion available.

3) I saw that some people were mentioning discounts on booking excursions?

Yes buy x number of excursions, and your free ones I believe count toward that total, and there is a % off. The number required varies with the cruise but the rules and % would be the same. Hopefully someone has full details for you.

4) Some people also posted about unlimited shore excursions?

On some cruises they also offer the unlimited package. Similar to the O-life choice excursion the ones eligible for the Unlimited Excursion Passport are t be less than a certain maximum amount, $199 I believe. One one over that max there are two prices posted, the pay-as-you=-go price, say $249 and the add-on cost if you have the "unlimited" package such s $59 . Hope that makes some sense

Be careful and add up the cost of excursions you would want under that package vs. the cost of the package. On one cruise they had a "special" on the unlimited package and it was more money than if I bought the most expensive of every possible excursion (one per port as the timing allowed) on that itinerary.

I am sure you will get more replies with exact answers.

All good questions for those interested in taking O's shorex's as their O life choice

1. On the regular shore excursions (not OE, OS, etc.) what is the average size of the group?

Only speculation but I think it would vary greatly depending on participation. They perhaps have some hard number such as 44 max on a bus that holds 50. I suspect they try to divide the number or pax by the buses so 120 pax would be closer to 40 in each of 3 buses rather than 2 x 50 and 1 x20. I don't know if there were 100 pax if they would pack 2 buses with 50 each or that would be over some (unknown to me) max of 44(?) so would get a third bus

2) Is there any way to find out the time of the shore excursions beforehand?

When your excursions are open for booking the start times will be posted. As per Caroldoll some might be be run twice per day and the choice is in a drop down. Getting that information much beforehand might be hard to get. Those on the same itinerary but earlier cruise would know and you could reach out to them through the roll call but could be a lot of work for someone (hmmm. they would get a pdf of the excursion they could maybe send you). Or maybe your TA can get that pdf for you if you can identify a cruise with the ports that is soon enough to have the excursion available.

3) I saw that some people were mentioning discounts on booking excursions?

Yes buy x number of excursions, and your free ones I believe count toward that total, and there is a % off. The number required varies with the cruise but the rules and % would be the same. Hopefully someone has full details for you.

4) Some people also posted about unlimited shore excursions?

On some cruises they also offer the unlimited package. Similar to the O-life choice excursion the ones eligible for the Unlimited Excursion Passport are t be less than a certain maximum amount, $199 I believe. One one over that max there are two prices posted, the pay-as-you=-go price, say $249 and the add-on cost if you have the "unlimited" package such s $59 . Hope that makes some sense

Be careful and add up the cost of excursions you would want under that package vs. the cost of the package. On one cruise they had a "special" on the unlimited package and it was more money than if I bought the most expensive of every possible excursion (one per port as the timing allowed) on that itinerary.

I am sure you will get more replies with exact answers.

That, plus:

3) You said you get 6 excursions. That probably means 3/person. You probably need to book 2 more/person to get 25% on those and any additional ones. Has to be booked at least 14 days before boarding. If booked onboard, you only get 15% discount.

4) price for unlimited excursions varies from cruise to cruise depending on length & itinerary. The price for unlimited excursions on your cruise will be shown when the excursions can be booked.

As some of you said, we are also people that cruise solely for the ports and want to maximize our time. Thanks so much for the help!

I'm actually surprised that this has not been mentioned before, but if you are sincerely interested in maximizing your time in port, it probably makes sense to organize (or join) privately organized tours. Control over the itinerary is sometimes key, particularly if you only have a few hours in a city.

For this, the Roll Call of your cruise will be your biggest asset.

I found out that I could get a pdf of the shore excursions from the TA. Much easier than trying to locate them on the website-plus some of the info is a bit different. According to the pdf version, you must book shore excursions at least 36 hours in advance. Anybody tried to book for the first or second day once onboard? How rigid are they about this? We have lots of OBC to use up.

Mary

Jim&Stan;

While I agree with your statement about using the Roll Call for booking private tours, there is a complete thread on how dead Roll Calls for many cruises have become! Several reasons for this, but it’s a sad thing imo.

But if the OP does not post there the RC will stay quiet. Their post might not liven I up but should try or it will indeed stay dead.

We also have the O-life shore excursions on our upcoming cruise. I've looked all over the Oceania website to see if any exclusions or limitations apply, but can't find any info there. Are we allowed to book any of the advertised tours or is there a special category for the free O-life excursions?

Our TA advised that the "free" oLife tours are those that cost $199 or less. There IS a code that tells you for sure, but I never remember what that is ... so I just look at the price.

On our recent Marina cruise, we did book a couple of tours closer to departure than 36 hours. But you run the risk of a tour being cancelled because not enough people had signed up ... or not being able to book because it's sold out.

For oLife tours you have to book 2 weeks before departure.

We also have the O-life shore excursions on our upcoming cruise. I've looked all over the Oceania website to see if any exclusions or limitations apply, but can't find any info there. Are we allowed to book any of the advertised tours or is there a special category for the free O-life excursions?

You can book any listed excursion that is NOT designated as OE or OC.

They indeed are $199 or less.

I just booked three tours in Norway and one in Russia using my oLife "free" tours. The Norwegian ones I selected are over $200 each so it does depend on the destination. BTW, these are out earlier than I thought they would be, likely because of the upcoming holiday season. Some alerted me through the roll call.I know that there may be additional options posted later but I wanted to get mine asap!

Very useful thread, especially the tip about touring with Oceania first thing so that you have time to see more on your own. Thanks!

Frances

Thanks again - and to everyone who recommended posting on the roll call, I have done that as well a couple weeks ago. There are only 3 of us currently who are on the roll call. I hope more people join as the cruise gets closer. Again, thanks to everyone who took their time to give advice. We are definitely looking into private tours in certain places where there is a lot to see (Provence, etc.)