warning for POM

LHT28

We embarked in Miami last week

when our bags finally arrived

one had the lock missing the other the lock had been cut through but not taken off (maybe they were interrupted )

Nothing was missing but there was no reason to have someone cut the locks off

make sure nothing you value is in your checked bag at the port

Hopefully the reception people passed on the occurrence to the port authority as they stated

not a happy camper :(

Lyn,

Sorry to hear about this. Fortunately nothing was missing.

Some years ago my bag was looted at MIA airport while transferring from an international flight to domestic - was not happy about it. Did not have that happen to me anywhere else.

We haven't locked our bags in years, but for those who do:

Security Q&A

Don’t Use a Non-TSA-Approved Lock

If your luggage needs to be physically inspected, a non-TSA-approved lock will be ripped off your bag at security—it’s that simple. Purchase one that’s been okayed by the TSA (which means that security officers can open it with a master key); the lock should be advertised as such on the label.

one had the lock missing the other the lock had been cut through but not taken off (maybe they were interrupted )

Hopefully the reception people passed on the occurrence to the port authority as they stated

The security might of had to open them because some thing looked like contraband , mainly alcohol).

I've had mine open as well . I normally put a zip tie on my suitcase when checking them.

The security might of had to open them because some thing looked like contraband , mainly alcohol).

I've had mine open as well . I normally put a zip tie on my suitcase when checking them.

FWIW, alcohol is not “contraband” on Oceania. Short of guns, I can’t think of anything that would make Oceania security cut the locks. They would be more likely to hold the suitcase and have the passenger open it for them, IMO.

I’ve been on a great number of O cruises and never had my bags searched by O security.

JMO.

Security Q&A

If your luggage needs to be physically inspected, a non-TSA-approved lock will be ripped off your bag at security—it’s that simple. Purchase one that’s been okayed by the TSA (which means that security officers can open it with a master key); the lock should be advertised as such on the label.

The article you didn't bother to cite from which you've culled the above material is about airport security, and has nothing to do with the problem reported in the original post, which was about locks being cut off or opened at the cruise port. There's no requirement to use TSA locks for baggage at a cruise port. TSA is in no way involved in whatever security inspections might be conducted of embarking passengers at cruise ports, nor are any TSA rules in effect. Inspections of passengers and their carry on luggage are conducted by private security guards hired by the port or cruise line, and inspections of the checked luggage turned over to porters are conducted by cruise ship personnel.

Security Q&A

This is excellent advice but I think it only applies to airport security. We use those locks for travel

This had to do with either ship's security (I doubt that) or someone else. In either of these cases the TSA approved lock would have made no difference,IMO. When TSA has to open your suitcase they HAVE to leave a notice in your suitcase that they have opened it and there was no such note in this case AFAIK.

I have "lost" at least 6 TSA approved locks over the past 4 cruises. I cant understand why they don't put them back on when they are done sifting through my luggage. Nothing has ever been missing, but geez, those lock aren't cheap.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Who opened your suitcases - airline TSA or ship security?

If the latter, which cruise line?

The article you didn't bother to cite from which you've culled the above material is about airport security, and has nothing to do with the problem reported in the original post, which was about locks being cut off or opened at the cruise port. There's no requirement to use TSA locks for baggage at a cruise port. TSA is in no way involved in whatever security inspections might be conducted of embarking passengers at cruise ports, nor are any TSA rules in effect. Inspections of passengers and their carry on luggage are conducted by private security guards hired by the port or cruise line, and inspections of the checked luggage turned over to porters are conducted by cruise ship personnel.

Security is security. The bottom line is that whoever is screening the bags they have no time for nuance and there is precious little recourse. Your nitpicking is specious.

Both. Delta airlines, Carnival and Royal have all opened my luggage. I don't understand why I don't get my lock back when i have purchased the correct ones.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

I’ve had my luggage checked on a rare occasion by airlines (AA) but each time it happened the suitcase was re-locked and a note left inside about the inspection. Never happened with Oceania or any other of the cruise lines I was on (and that includes ALL lines except Crystal).

I guess I was luckier than you.

You might have held Delta responsible for this but not likely that you would get very far with the ship security.

Good advice anywhere.

Never put valuables in luggage.

We love sailing out of Miami and never had a problem but unfortunately there are bad people all around the world. Hopefully this person will get caught by someone if this continues.

Keith

Locking a bag implies there’s something worth stealing. We never lock them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From my decades of experience as a property/casualty insurance actuary I know that just the opposite is true. Locking your luggage, home or car is a major deterrent to theft. Thieves are opportunists and if given a choice of having to take a few extra seconds to cut open, pick or smash a lock versus targeting an unlocked item is a no-brainer. They target the unlocked bag, car or home because they can complete their dirty work more quickly. Even a few seconds can mean the difference between a successful theft and getting caught in the act.

A little off topic to the OP but, when I see posts about using TSA or other unapproved luggage locks/tie wraps I want to inform others that bad guys can still quickly get inside without anyone knowing (someone else showed me this video years ago):

Best advise, put all valuables in a carry on and keep with you at all times when traveling

Cheers,

John

Security is security. The bottom line is that whoever is screening the bags they have no time for nuance and there is precious little recourse. Your nitpicking is specious.

Except you didn't say anything like "security is security" in your first post. You quoted in bold letters "Don’t Use a Non-TSA-Approved Lock" , which simply isn't valid or necessary advice for anything but luggage going through airport screening.

And I wasn't the only one who noticed that what you said wasn't correct. In the post after mine Paulchili said:

"This is excellent advice but I think it only applies to airport security. We use those locks for travel

This had to do with either ship's security (I doubt that) or someone else. In either of these cases the TSA approved lock would have made no difference,IMO. When TSA has to open your suitcase they HAVE to leave a notice in your suitcase that they have opened it and there was no such note in this case AFAIK."

Our problem with only using carry-on baggage is that the older we get, the more we hate to fly so if we are going to cruise we look for longer cruises and while we're good packers, 30+ days at sea requires more than a carry on for us!

These days I pack using plastic bags with zip closures and label each bag. Hopefully at a glance the "bad guys" can tell there is nothing there but "7 short sleeve tee", "2 cargo pants", etc. and maybe make TSA's job easier as well!

We're going to be using our Global Entry # for the 1st time Monday @ Miami Airport....curious how that will all work.....

From my decades of experience as a property/casualty insurance actuary I know that just the opposite is true. Locking your luggage, home or car is a major deterrent to theft. Thieves are opportunists and if given a choice of having to take a few extra seconds to cut open, pick or smash a lock versus targeting an unlocked item is a no-brainer. They target the unlocked bag, car or home because they can complete their dirty work more quickly. Even a few seconds can mean the difference between a successful theft and getting caught in the act.

Car and home much different from luggage. Luggage can be rifled through out of public view. Best advice I was given is not to carry expensive luggage and never lock it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

my fave carry on is a freebie i got as a Durham Bulls Baseball mini-season ticket holder--shoulder strap, side pockets, roomy.....there is no way anyone could look at it, then look at me, and think "wow, she's sophisticated and fab....let's rob her!!!"

The "big" suitcase is one we got from Oahu ATW16 when the wheels of my other suitcase was broken Day 1...so we took the free shuttle to Walmart, along with half of the passengers and most of the crew, and got stuff.

The suitcase has a big green H on the front...so, no designer luggage for us!!! Although, having said that, I am in the market for a 2 wheeled ultra-lightweight suitcase --been told to look at IT luggage. Anybody know anything about IT??

Car and home much different from luggage. Luggage can be rifled through out of public view. Best advice I was given is not to carry expensive luggage and never lock it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't disagree with not using expensive luggage, but otherwise "best advice" from whom? Not someone who's actually seen insurance claim data I suspect.

By the way there's another reason besides theft prevention to secure your luggage with a lock or a cable tie. It helps prevent accidental opening of the bag as it gets tossed around by airport and cruise port baggage handlers.

The suitcase has a big green H on the front...so, no designer luggage for us!!! Although, having said that, I am in the market for a 2 wheeled ultra-lightweight suitcase --been told to look at IT luggage. Anybody know anything about IT??

We have taken our IT carry on’s on ten or so flights and always as checked bagge as well as several cruises

We love our luggage still in perfect condition and extremely light weight. Give IT a try.