Very disappointed with world cruise ship choice

We did Regent's last world cruise in 2010. It was on Voyager which is great ship for that. We have been looking forward to doing another world cruise ever since then but with today's email from Regent saying the 2017 WC would be on the Navigator, that ended our dream. Navigator is too small a ship to be cooped up on for 4 months. Sorry Regent, guess we will check out other luxury lines for their WC. Hate to give up Titanium benefits but as much as we cruise won't take long to achieve benes on Seabourn.

I wouldn't even want to be "cooped up" on an aircraft carrier for 4 months! Oops, I forgot, I actually was! However, Navigator would certainly be better than a submarine......(Yeah, I've got that "T-shirt", as well) :p Regards

Since my favorite ship (of those I've been on) is the very small Paul Gauguin, I expected that I would prefer Navigator over Voyager. So I was sort of surprised to discover that I actually like Voyager more. Been on Voyager 4 times and Navigator twice, so it is not a single cruise on either or both ships that is the basis of my feelings: as we all know sometimes a single cruise just doesn't work as it should for one reason or another.

I'm not completely sure why I feel this way: they are both lovely ships with comparable service, food, cabins, etc. and my preference is not very strong. I've never felt "cooped up" on Navigator, so its not that. Its also not the vibration issue, which never bothered me. Go figure ...

they chose the Navigator which puts any thought of doing the world cruise out of our minds.

We've been on the Navigator because it went where we wanted to go (Black Sea) and it was a great voyage for 10 days. Not enough space or variety for a world cruise IMHO. ANY of the other three ships would be an improvement (and make us conflicted about committing to a WC!).

Easy choice, as is.

Disappointed as well but will withhold final judgment until the itinerary is revealed. Currently booked on the Voyager BCN to SYD in November 2016 specifically for Taj Mahal; on our "bucket list". Depending upon that being included and more ports in New Zealand/Australia will determine a decision.

I wouldn't even want to be "cooped up" on an aircraft carrier for 4 months! Oops, I forgot, I actually was! However, Navigator would certainly be better than a submarine......(Yeah, I've got that "T-shirt", as well) :p Regards

Agree about the submarine, but I guess you were on a "luxury" submarine. My time was on an "O" Boat, the Navigator is definitely better than any of the boats I served on!

Fairly certain I could handle 4 months on the Navigator, but Mariner or Voyager would be even better.

Ah my naval compatriot, which carrier were you on. I spent 3.5 years on USS Essex the first of the WW2 fast carriers and prototype for its class. Can't say the amenities were great. The experience, however, is something I still cherish.:D

I have very fond feelings towards Navigator, although like David, I prefer Voyager I think. Of course, our longest cruise has been 14 days, so no WC for us. We have spent 14 days on the Paul Gauguin, which is a tiny ship, and at last in the tropics, I could imagine much longer on that ship, but...

I frankly can't imagine doing a WC on any ship, although the Navigator standard staterooms would make it a heck of a lot easier than Oceania Insignia, which is their designated WC ship--those R ship standard cabins are miniscule, and the public space is smaller too I believe! And their WC is 180 days! I can't get my head around that length of time for sure.

They have not set the prices yet. It would have to be super cheap for full voyage to get people to sign up. None of the past World Cruisers that I know would consider the NAV at any price. I guess that Regent feels they will fill the ship with segmenter. Very disappointed.

(Yes, TC2 you were correct about this one months ago.)

j

We did one segment of a world cruise on Voyager. We got on in Rio and got off in Ford Lauderdale. Many of the passengers were intending to do the whole thing, and had gotten on in Mumbai. Some of those folks had had enough and got off early, one of the Caribbean islands but I'm not sure which. So even on Voyager, a world cruise will test how much you really really like being on a ship, any ship. Of course, some world cruisers on our segment were splendiferously happy the whole time. I recall one fellow happily saying, "I now qualify for free laundry. But it cost me 50 thousand dollars."

They have not set the prices yet. It would have to be super cheap for full voyage to get people to sign up. None of the past World Cruisers that I know would consider the NAV at any price. I guess that Regent feels they will fill the ship with segmenter. Very disappointed.

(Yes, TC2 you were correct about this one months ago.)

j

Your comment made me laugh:D This has been a strong rumor for several months. At first I did not understand why they would use the Navigator. It now makes sense (a little bit) because the Mariner suites are a bit small for such a long voyage, Regent wants to have the Explorer around the U.S. and Europe during the introduction stage and the Voyager seems to be doing extremely well (in terms of bookings) in the areas she has been sailing in. From what I've read and heard, the refurbishment of the Navigator will make some of the public areas a bit easier for passengers. As long as someone is not in an aft suite or one that is on a high deck and is very forward for 4 months, it should be very comfortable.

Not sure if you noticed that Peggy is considering doing the world cruise on Regent. Recently she has been doing Crystal WC's with a group. Hoping that she and her friends return to Regent. Anyway, glad to see the world cruise returning - even if we cannot be away from home that long.

I would rather be doing the Oceania world cruise on Riviera than on Insignia, and I would rather do a Regent world cruise, if I could do 2, on Voyager than Navigator. But, on Oceania, 684 guests are a lot less than 1250, and on Regent, 450 are a lot less than 700. Even with segmenters out numbering world cruisers, Insignia still has space. There are only so many people willing to take really long cruises, and several ships doing them (I just read a brief report of a Japanese ship on a World Tour). It's easier to fill a small ship than a large one, making it a safer bet for the cruise line.

Also, while there are many regular Regent cruisers not willing to sail that long on Navigator, you'd be surprised how many serial world cruisers there are who will jump on any ship on any cruise line to experience a different world cruise. I'm amazed at the number of people who have signed up for Insignia without ever setting foot on the ship! After all, even Navigator has got to be better than Holland America, right? (we have friends who just returned from their HAL world cruise).

If I weren't doing the Insignia WC, and if I could afford Regent's prices, I'd sail on Navigator. It was OK when we sailed it before, except it didn't seem the layout made the best use of the available public space (so much wasted space at every stair landing, for example, there was a random ping pong table stuck in one of them).

But for me, a world cruise is heading out at every port (91 of them on Insignia, with 114 days in port), doing things I don't do every day at home, then spending the in-between sea days to recover and be ready to do it again. I don't expect to need a lot of entertainment during the day on sea days; I do expect to catch up on my napping. In fact, with keeping and sorting and editing photos, I'm not sure how I'll get it all done.

We missed this year's WC due to Insignia's engine fire; it's now only about 4 weeks until it's due to end; the time has flown by. The ship picked up the last half of this year's cruise in Singapore, and is currently sailing towards Los Angeles, having left Hawaii. The Mexican Riviera, Panama Canal, Cartagena, Key West and home July 8! The best part is over.

Some day, unfortunately not soon, but someday, I will do a world cruise. It is a bucket list thing for me. I will either have to hog tie George or go by myself. But I would be perfectly happy on Navigator. The suites are large enough. And while I would miss signatures, I am pretty happy with the dining choices on Navigator. I definitely like its smaller size. And vibration doesn't bother me.

So if I were not having to still work, I would sign up.

Our hopes are dashed! Was planning a 2017 world cruise if it was other than the Navigator. If I was going smaller than the Voyager/Mariner/Explorer, I would probably go with another line. Probably will return to river cruising or Voyager in Asia.

Well let's face it, Regent most likely gave up the WC because of lack of demand. Now they are putting their toe back in the water, so it's no surprise they chose the small ship for this venture, as did Oceania. Perhaps if it's a success, they'll try Voyager again some day.

We are SO disappointed to learn that the WC will be on the Navigator - the Navigator is fine for shorter trips, but not for such a long trip. I guess now we go to Plan B. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which way you look at it), it seems lately that more and more of our vacations end up being Plan B which does not include Regent.

Going on a WC is on Mom's bucket list and since she just turned a young 88, sooner is better than later. I know she will not be happy on the Navigator, in fact, we changed our plans for 2016 summer because the cruise we were interested in was on the Navigator so again, we went to Plan B.

gnomie :)

Well let's face it, Regent most likely gave up the WC because of lack of demand. Now they are putting their toe back in the water, so it's no surprise they chose the small ship for this venture, as did Oceania. Perhaps if it's a success, they'll try Voyager again some day.

Have to disagree about demand as the demand, according to what I've heard, was quite strong. However, after two major issues with the Voyager's pods (one during a WC), Regent may have played it safe by keeping the Voyager on shorter itineraries. Both Oceania and Crystal have a huge following on their WC's (rumor has it that the last one on Oceania sold out in days). IMO, Regent needed a ship with availability to do the WC (excluding the Voyager). With Explorer in the Caribbean, it leaves the Navigator with the time to do the WC.

Based on your last sentence, would you do a world cruise on the Voyager? That really surprises me based on your posts over the past year or so.

Have to disagree about demand as the demand, according to what I've heard, was quite strong. However, after two major issues with the Voyager's pods (one during a WC), Regent may have played it safe by keeping the Voyager on shorter itineraries. Both Oceania and Crystal have a huge following on their WC's (rumor has it that the last one on Oceania sold out in days). IMO, Regent needed a ship with availability to do the WC (excluding the Voyager). With Explorer in the Caribbean, it leaves the Navigator with the time to do the WC.

Based on your last sentence, would you do a world cruise on the Voyager? That really surprises me based on your posts over the past year or so.

Yeah, I admit I've been surprised at the demand over at Oceania for their RWC's as people call them. Can't imagine those tiny little cabins, although I'd love to try an R ship some day on a shorter itinerary.

No, I wouldn't consider a WC at all, can't imagine it. Maybe when I'm 80, lol.

Ah my naval compatriot, which carrier were you on. I spent 3.5 years on USS Essex the first of the WW2 fast carriers and prototype for its class. Can't say the amenities were great. The experience, however, is something I still cherish.:D

Would love to hear the stories about that. I served on Australian Oberon Class Submarines (also a couple of years on the new Collins Class). Oberons were submarines built in Scotland in the 60's through to the late 70's, but were no where as large, or comfortable, as the US submarines of the same era, especially as they were diesel boats. DBF!

Pingpong1, I hope we sail together some day as I would enjoy learning about your experiences!! Will supply the wine!

Edited by gwain6

We sailed Navigator from Cape Town to FLL, 30 days in luxury. IF Regent could've filled Voyager they would've likely used Voyager. That makes financial sense.!

Really interesting post. In terms of filling the Voyager, would it not be filled with non world cruisers ("segmenters")? Speaking of "segmenters" (I know - not a real word but one used years ago referring to passengers taking single or multiple segments of the world cruise), there was an issue in the past of segmenters feeling like they were outsiders on the ship. It would seem that being on a small ship could make this issue even more noticeable. IMO, at least half of the ship will be filled with WC'ers.

Secondly, am I correct in assuming that the Navigator uses less fuel than the Voyager? And, to my knowledge, the Navigator is the only ship without pods (until the Explorer is completed) so that issue is alleviated by using the Navigator. Would really appreciate learning your thoughts on this since you go back at least as far as I do (further I think) with Regent ships - their issues - both positive and not so positive.

Edited by Travelcat2

Are you certain that the Voyager does not have pods? We were on 'that'

cruise where we embarked in Dubai to be told that fish nets had been wrapped around [i thought] a pod. It was now out of commission and we were offered a limp along cruise or refund w return home in the class we had arrived [not complaining].

Sorry, misread your statement about pods.

Actually, you probably read it correctly -- I typed "Voyager" then saw what I did and went back and replaced it with "Navigator". .

Edited by Travelcat2