Capris- ok or not?

Amy G

I am getting mixed messages about capri pants (mine go at least 2 inches below the knees). Are they allowed in churches and museums? I would appreciate responses from people that were recently there. Thanks!

I'm confused also but just read the thread "Rome - Sistine Chapel" and have decided to follow advice there and put on long pants. Others have said capris are fine but guess I'd rather be safe than sorry. Will go with capri pants other places.

I would like to be safe rather than sorry also, but would sure prefer not to wear long pants in the heat.

I would choose to wear a sundress - but I think shoulders cannot be bare. Would a scarf around shoulders suffice?

Thanks to anyone that has experience with this!

I was there several times with capri pant, I wore tank top underneath my sheer long sleeve cardigan, hope this help.

That should work just fine. I noticed that our guide in the Vatican last year simply threw a shawl over her shoulders when approaching the Church. Shorts are not allowed in any churches and you will be visiting a lot of churches. My wife wore Capris all the time.Have a great trip-we leave next wednesday for a 21 day riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna.

When we were in the Med last summer capri pants were acceptable in all the churchs we visited in Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples, Athens, Istanbul and Venice. We did see people turned away when their shorts were too short in Venice and in Florence. In Istanbul they provided black cloth that women were required to wrap around their waist and wear like a long skirt.

There was a stink in Italy late last summer with the cultural minister in Italy who said the tourists were being disrespectful and that there was going to be a crack down. I saw that on the news and on the net after we got back from our cruise so things may have gotten stricter since then.

Have a great cruise.

I just got back on the June 20th and capri pants are just fine. We were in Florence and Rome and they seemed the most strict. Some people even bought large scarfs to wrap around their shoulders. Have fun!

My son wears his shorts long, way below his knees, with socks pulled up, no skin shows, is this ok? I'm having a hard time convincing him it will be worth wearing long pants in the heat to be able to enter the churches. It seems that it should be simple enough to just wear pants, but it's difficult to convince the kids they need to dress more conservatively on vacation than they do at church here.

Thanks ,

Becky

Before our cruise last year in the med I purchased two pairs of long shorts, they went down below my knees by several inches and wore them to churches on all the stops on our cruise without any problem. This included our time in Venice where we saw a number of people turned away from St Marks for shorts that were too short. I suspect as long as your son's shorts are below his knees he should be alright.

Have a great next cruise.

I did a land tour in Italy a couple of years ago and wore tank style dresses which were very cool and comfortable and allowed the air to circulate around my legs. For the churches I would either wear a short sleeve blouse that matched the dress or a light-weight shawl (think Pashima or lighter). Next year on my Med cruise I will again wear tank dresses and carry either a shawl or maybe have my pareo do double duty and throw it over my shoulders when I need to enter a church as it is lighweight, folds easily into my pocketbook and doesn't wrinkle. I'll leave the capris for the various Greek Isles we are also visiting where we will not be entering any churches. For me this is how I feel I should dress when entering a house of worship. If you are comfortable in capris I am sure it is fine, just make sure your shoulders are covered. It would be terrible to come all this way and not be allowed to view the magnificant churches and basillicas.

Jackie

Thank you, that is what I needed to know! I find dresses much cooler , that is what I like to wear all summer. If I can throw a shawl or pareo over my shoulders and not offend anyone, that is perfect.

Thanks!

Amy,

I wore capri's almost the entire time I was in Italy and didn't have a problem. I think in some of the churches you cannot have bare shoulders, so I wore a nice short-sleeved shirt, but capris were fine.

Just came back from Briliance trip. Capris were fine everywhere. Men with knee length pants were not allowed into churches. At the Vatican they were sold long heavy paper pants. Shoulders have to be covered with a short sleeve or shawl.

Hi all, we just returned from Star Princess yesterday. I had asked this question on an earlier thread and thanks to all who replied.

I can tell you that we went to Cathedrals in Spain, the Royal Palace in Monte Carlo, all of the Basillicas and churches in Italy and Capri pants were fine. As a matter of fact, my wife loaded up on them for the trip and was glad she did!! It was VERY hot!!

I will tell you though, I found pants a few days before we left and bought them. I would HIGHLY recommed this. . .

You can go to EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) or any of the sporting good stores should sell ZIP OFF pant/shorts. I wore the pants in the church tours and then unzipped them and turned them into shorts for the rest of the tours. This was GREAT!!!

If you do get these though, make sure you get pairs that unzip at the bottom to allow you to pull them off over your shoes, otherwise they won't be as easy and you'll have to take your shoes off each time.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope this helps!!:)

Tennis shoes are fine many people had them you just can get in to some of the strict churches with shorts. I wore them everyday and was the only one without blisters.

As far as the shorts my husband had long shorts just a hair below the knee and they wouldn't let him in at the Sistine chapels. They are very strict in Rome. I would suggest the zip shorts. Its a bummer when someone has to wait out side. Just keep the shoulders covered too. Trish

Hi Zebra!

Tennis shoes (sneakers) were fine everywhere we went. As a matter of fact we saw a number of people wearing sandals and flip flops and they were pretty much miserable. We even saw a woman in 4 inch spike heels walking around the ruins of Ephesus. It was so funny/pathetic I actually took video of it.

Wear sneakers or comfortable hiking shoes and you will be fine!

Enjoy the cruise!!

• 2 weeks later...

Capri pants for women are fine at the Vatican. A scarf, shawl or sweater though is required if shoulders are showing at all. For some reason the Vatican is much stricter about men showing their legs as opposed to women. There are disposable pants that they offer to men though (or women wearing shorts above the knee) to solve this problem.

We're just back, and Mary wore capris everywhere with no problem. We saw several folks turned away because of shorts in St. Peters and the cathedral in Barcelona. I wore shorts in all ports where I knew we wouldn't be going into major churches.

Now, as for the dress code in general, and for all those folks that have crusaded against our American dress code when in Europe, there are shorts, jeans and tennis shoes everywhere, including on the locals. Don't worry about it, but just be ready to cover the knees an shoulders.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a BIG BIG SCARF that I am going to WRAP around my waist when we go into the churches.. it covers my shorts and is light weight, it's BLACK and you can not see thru it at all, folds up into NOTHING, bought one for each of the ladies that is going with us.. :)

Archived