SNUBA in Caymans?

MrsPete

I'm looking into the possibility of snuba diving on Grand Cayman (the ship will be docking in Georgetown). We've never done this before, so I'd appreciate any information anyone could share -- either about the process in general, or about any company in the Caymans that we might contact. We're a family of four with two girls ages 9 and 12. Thanks!

I'm looking into the possibility of snuba diving on Grand Cayman (the ship will be docking in Georgetown). We've never done this before, so I'd appreciate any information anyone could share -- either about the process in general, or about any company in the Caymans that we might contact. We're a family of four with two girls ages 9 and 12. Thanks!

According to snuba.com there is one place on Grand Cayman that does snuba. There might be others that offer it that are not listed on snuba.com.

Do I think it is a good idea? You bet. I scuba dive, but the rest of the family doesn't. When we were on the Big Island last July, DW and the kids, (8 & 12) all tried it. DD liked it a lot, DS didn't like it because he said he was too cold, and DW liked it, but was somewhat reserved with her enthusiasm. This might be because it was the first summer she could put her face underwater. Before she had the laser eye thingy, she was super afraid of loosing her contacts in the water, even with a mask on.

The way it worked for us was there was a guide who helped them get geared up and explained the process. Basically, they had a raft with a scuba tank on it with 25 ft hoses for each snuba-er. They could go as deep as their hose would let them and if they wanted to, they could use the hose to pull themselves back up to the raft.

GO GO GO GO GO Can you tell I think it is a great idea? I love to snuba! I can't wait until January when I get to snuba at Trunk Bay on St John!!!!! I love it!!! You will too!! :D :D

www.snuba.com is the general website for info about snuba.

Check it out.

Bruce is right... snorkeling is great, snuba is even better!!!!

I went about 3 years ago. You will love it. you will wear a weight belt. to give you weightlessness in the water. You will dive with a partner from a raft that holds your tank. you have about 25 ft of hose attached. We had a scuba guide that watched over 2 rafts (4 people) The dive last 15-20 minutes or whenever the tank run out. We dove by an old sunken tug that had been sunk about 50 years ago for an artifical reef. One of the highlights of the dive, besides seeing all the fish was when the guide took us up to the tug and showed us a morray eel in a hole in the side of the tug. She first petted it and then took my hand and had me pet it. I wasn't sure about that, but what the heck if it wasn't safe she wouldn't have done it first/

Dick

Archived