I have and Iphone 8 plus and was thinking I should leave my camera at home????

I bought and Iphone 8 Plus and it takes fantastic pictures and video. I have Nikon Coolpix S9500 that takes good pictures too. I went to Hawaii in Jan and took both. I never used the camera, only the Iphone and I was very happy. I am taking my iphone on this trip, should I also take my camera. I just don't think I will use it.

What would you do?

I bought and Iphone 8 Plus and it takes fantastic pictures and video. I have Nikon Coolpix S9500 that takes good pictures too. I went to Hawaii in Jan and took both. I never used the camera, only the Iphone and I was very happy. I am taking my iphone on this trip, should I also take my camera. I just don't think I will use it.

What would you do?

Disclosure: I carry a full-featured mirrorless camera about 100% of the time when on a cruise, but that's my choice. Taking pictures on a cruise is a big part of the enjoyment for me.

If you are going to be in a venue that needs some zoom, camera phones never fail to disappoint. If you are doing street photography, landscapes and just walkabout shooting, the phone can be a great tool. I gave away my P&S camera and never replaced it. I now carry my Pixel XL as a pocket camera.

Buy a tether for it though.

Dave

I personally carry my DSLR almost everywhere on vacation. Apparently I'd rather have a camera and not need it vs. not having a camera and wishing I did. BUT that's me. It sounds like you've already determined that you don't really need the zoom capability of the Nikon. the iphone 8 plus already has a little bit of telephoto with the 56mm lens. That isn't much, and nothing compared to the 550mm of the Nikon, but it doesn't matter if you never use it.

If it were me, given that the Nikon doesn't look very big, I'd pack it anyway and not feel too bad about it if I I never actually took it out of my luggage.

Like others, I rarely leave home without my “real” cameras. The iPhones take nice pictures when viewed on a “device”, but in a tough lighting situation, not so much.

Having said that, I’ve been in situations where DW’s Samsung pics were every bit as good. At least I tell her so 😉

If you’re asking, take the phone. Other than less zoom (which is overrated), the phone is actually the better camera between the two.

The phone will have better low light ability, easier use, must better social sharing ability, even great in camera editing.

If you’re just looking to capture some memories to keep on your phone and Facebook, etc... stick to the phone.