Purchasing Toiletries on Board During a World Cruise?

Smokeyham

I've read a number of threads where people talk about bringing many tubes of toothpaste, deodorant, etc. on board for world cruises. Some said they ran out, and went ashore in different ports to buy more.

I was wondering if you could not just buy these on board? My memory from prior cruises was that they had such items for sale on board, but I could be wrong. If so, I know they will be a bit more expensive, but is that not an option, if you do not care much about the brands you use?

When you are on a World Cruise you will go through a lot of items.

So we figure out before we leave what we need and try to bring the right amount.

Please keep in mind that often on the ship the items sold are small sizes, somewhat overpriced and the choice is limited.

We don't want to waste time in port looking for items and depending on where you are sailing the items might not be the brands that you desire.

Keith

Smokeyham, I hanted to add that months before our first World Cruise we made lists of each item we would need when it came to cosmetics and toiletries and over the counter medicines. We started to keep track of how long it took to go through items such as toothpaste and the like and with this information we developed the quantities to purchase in advance. This really helped.

Keith

Smokeyham, I hanted to add that months before our first World Cruise we made lists of each item we would need when it came to cosmetics and toiletries and over the counter medicines. We started to keep track of how long it took to go through items such as toothpaste and the like and with this information we developed the quantities to purchase in advance. This really helped.

Keith

On Keith's advice, I did this before y 2016 WC, and it helped tremendously.

Keith

I have done the same thing, even for itineraries that are not as long as a world cruise. It's most helpful for this chronic over-packer to reduce at least a few things that I don't need to cart around.

Keith

We have also done this. We fly in at least one day early with only the toiletries we need for a day or two, and we purchase all of the rest as part of our pre-cruise ritual. The only exceptions are my hair care products & my facial products, since I am very particular about them, I bring enough for the entire cruise. Most of our cruises are 3 weeks or longer.

For our World Cruise in 2019, we will probably ship those items in advance. Still planning that kind of stuff!

I am glad that some of my advice has been helpful to several of you.

Let me add some additional comments.

We make those lists many months before the cruise so that we have time to add items to the list we may have forgotten.

As I mentioned for items we use regularly we figure out consumption and then we can figure out based on the length of the cruise how much of each item we need.

We do have to make some assumptions such as getting colds or other illnesses on board for some items we bring.

We will take more then less so even things like band-aids we make sure we have quantities and assortments.

Most of these items you cannot ship but that depends on who you use. For a 100+ trip we usually fill one large suitcase with most of these items and take with us on the airplane whereas we might use a shipping service for other items. For liquid items we place them in a ziplock bag and sometimes that one goes in not one but two more bags.

We have a list of some items that either are prohibited from being taken on a flight or ones that we just don't want to take a chance in terms of leakage, etc. and we will purchase those items during our pre-cruise stay and we normally arrive a few days before a ling cruise.

We do error on having more rather then less.

Keith

Keith

Very good advice, this is what we did before our first world cruise last year. We have kept the same list for this years world cruise. With a small amount of changes

Eric

I am glad that some of my advice has been helpful to several of you.

Let me add some additional comments.

We make those lists many months before the cruise so that we have time to add items to the list we may have forgotten.

As I mentioned for items we use regularly we figure out consumption and then we can figure out based on the length of the cruise how much of each item we need.

We do have to make some assumptions such as getting colds or other illnesses on board for some items we bring.

We will take more then less so even things like band-aids we make sure we have quantities and assortments.

Most of these items you cannot ship but that depends on who you use. For a 100+ trip we usually fill one large suitcase with most of these items and take with us on the airplane whereas we might use a shipping service for other items. For liquid items we place them in a ziplock bag and sometimes that one goes in not one but two more bags.

We have a list of some items that either are prohibited from being taken on a flight or ones that we just don't want to take a chance in terms of leakage, etc. and we will purchase those items during our pre-cruise stay and we normally arrive a few days before a ling cruise.

We do error on having more rather then less.

Keith

Why can't we ship most of those items? Other posters claimed that nothing containing alcohol can be shipped, nor can aerosol cans be shipped. I called FedEx and was told that alcohol meant alcoholic beverages, not mouthwash, for instance. And she said that aerosol hairspray and mousse, for instance, was O.K. to ship. Her advice pertained to shipment within the U.S.

We have unlimited shipping for our forthcoming Grand Asia, so now I am thinking of shipping most of the toiletries in a box, where possible leakage won't hurt anything. Am I missing something?

Why can't we ship most of those items? Other posters claimed that nothing containing alcohol can be shipped, nor can aerosol cans be shipped. I called FedEx and was told that alcohol meant alcoholic beverages, not mouthwash, for instance. And she said that aerosol hairspray and mousse, for instance, was O.K. to ship. Her advice pertained to shipment within the U.S.

We have unlimited shipping for our forthcoming Grand Asia, so now I am thinking of shipping most of the toiletries in a box, where possible leakage won't hurt anything. Am I missing something?

We ship to ports domestically and internationally and do the same on our return.

In our case we use a third party company such as Luggage Free.

Many of these companies have restrictions such as the following that I am copying from Luggage Free's website.

I prefer to use a company for this so that when it arrives to a port they can coordinate getting it to the port agent and also keep it stored in a locked facility.

Some people will use FedEx and ship it say to a hotel but we just like to not see it until it is in our room on the ship.

Keith

• Alcoholic beverages, medicinal or toilet articles including aerosols such as hair sprays, perfumes, colognes, and medicines containing alcohol.
  • Consumer electronic devices containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries (e.g., calculators, cell phones, laptop computers, etc.)
  • Perishables, including food, foodstuffs, and beverages requiring refrigeration or other environmental controls, plants, pharmaceuticals. Tobacco, cigarettes, tobacco products. Anything you would not carry or check on a passenger plane. This includes, but is not limited to explosives, fireworks and ammunition.

I prefer to use a company for this so that when it arrives to a port they can coordinate getting it to the port agent and also keep it stored in a locked facility.

Some people will use FedEx and ship it say to a hotel but we just like to not see it until it is in our room on the ship.

HAL uses FedEx (or a company that uses FedEx). It's included in our cruise fare to ship unlimited luggage including boxes. I was hoping to ship dry toiletries and meds in the luggage or box.

HAL uses FedEx (or a company that uses FedEx). It's included in our cruise fare to ship unlimited luggage including boxes. I was hoping to ship dry toiletries and meds in the luggage or box.

Yes, that makes sense.

In our case, the Cruise Line reimburses us up to a certain amount for luggage which could be used on flights or with luggage services. Now the companies we use end up using FexEx or UPS for shipments in the USA and usually DHL for the international shipping.

Again if you are shipping directly with FedEx go with their rules.

When you say med I am assuming over the counter meds.

Keith

We ship to ports domestically and internationally and do the same on our return.

In our case we use a third party company such as Luggage Free.

Many of these companies have restrictions such as the following that I am copying from Luggage Free's website.

Keith

• Alcoholic beverages, medicinal or toilet articles including aerosols such as hair sprays, perfumes, colognes, and medicines containing alcohol.
  • Consumer electronic devices containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries (e.g., calculators, cell phones, laptop computers, etc.)
  • Perishables, including food, foodstuffs, and beverages requiring refrigeration or other environmental controls, plants, pharmaceuticals. Tobacco, cigarettes, tobacco products. Anything you would not carry or check on a passenger plane. This includes, but is not limited to explosives, fireworks and ammunition.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind prohibiting any non- beverage product, such as medicines, which contain alcohol. There is not, to my knowledge, any federal or state regulation that prohibits this. And we carry these items regularly in checked luggage.

I intend to ship toiletries, and not necessarily dry, as well as OTC meds in a box. I don't think shipping prescription meds is a good idea, but I don't think that was what you intended.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind prohibiting any non- beverage product, such as medicines, which contain alcohol. There is not, to my knowledge, any federal or state regulation that prohibits this. And we carry these items regularly in checked luggage.

I am not sure.

For shipping internationally I am sure it relates to customs issues.

For domestic I am speculating but it might be concerns with what the meds are.

Again best to contact FedEX or UPS if using them directly. If not and using some of the companies that coordinate this such as Luggage Free, Luggage Forward, Luggage Concierge I would follow their rules.

In our case we usually ship all but two large bags. We have the one large bag with all our cosmetics, toiletries, and over the counter pills and a few other items and then we have one other piece which is usually items we need pre curise and to board and a few other things. We also each have a carry-on and my wife will use a very large purse as her personal items and I usually have a large camera case as my personal item.

During our pre-cruise stay we pick up some liquid and aerosol items including nail polish remover for my wife. We fit that either into that one large bag or we move items around and also place some items in a tote bag.

Keith

I intend to ship toiletries, and not necessarily dry, as well as OTC meds in a box. I don't think shipping prescription meds is a good idea, but I don't think that was what you intended.

We are shipping one bag to the Queen Elizabeth for departure February 5. We are using the White Star Service provided by Cunard.

The instructions are very clear:

No toiletries,cosmetics,medication,vitamins,electronics,jewelry,knives,furs,cash or other similarly fragile and valuable items are prohibited. Cologne, perfume, lighters and aerosols are prohibited as they are considered combustible.

Shipments containing these items can be returned as undeliverable,or have items removed and then shipped.

I do not think it matters how we wish to interpret what can be shipped because we are ultimately at the mercy of the cruise lines' rules if we are using their services.

I have repacked my bag accordingly.

We will pick up our extra supplies in San Francisco on the three days we have before we board.

It sounds like the shippers don't want to handle things that might break, leak, or be of value should they be lost or stolen. The cruise line I'll be on for a 90-day cruise later this year uses Luggage Free, and so I'm subject to the rules that Keith cites. So I figure I'm fine shipping toiletries like makeup remover pads, nail polish remover pads, and toothbrushes, but not makeup remover liquid, liquid nail polish remover, and mouthwash. The former three all are considered toiletries, but would cause no pain if they break open or disappear. The latter? Yikes, if they leak or break open.

We are shipping one bag to the Queen Elizabeth for departure February 5. We are using the White Star Service provided by Cunard.

The instructions are very clear:

No toiletries,cosmetics,medication,vitamins,electronics,jewelry,knives,furs,cash or other similarly fragile and valuable items are prohibited. Cologne, perfume, lighters and aerosols are prohibited as they are considered combustible.

Shipments containing these items can be returned as undeliverable,or have items removed and then shipped.

I do not think it matters how we wish to interpret what can be shipped because we are ultimately at the mercy of the cruise lines' rules if we are using their services.

I have repacked my bag accordingly.

We will pick up our extra supplies in San Francisco on the three days we have before we board.

Yes, we are at the mercy of the shippers. Glad HAL will be using FedEx and we are not at the mercy of White Star. Vitamins prohibited??? Is makeup considered toiletries?

We buy what we need as we go. I have toiletries and medicines from all over the world. We’ve found we need less intensive port days at times where we do one or two things on our own with free time. So before one of those days we will make a shopping list of what we need and get them during the day. It hasn’t been a problem for us and it is quite interesting looking at every day items in different countries. Many times medicine from outside the US is much much better. I take all the vitamins we will need though because they aren’t readily available everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the end just know the rules and have an approach for this.

If your cruise ends or begins outside the USA the restrictions that I copied and pasted are pretty much the same across all companies and that has a lot to do with not only leakage of items but getting through customs. We easily adapt to whatever situation we are in.

As to purchasing items since we are particular about the items we use we don't want to be wasting time to look for precious items in port that likely we may not find. For example, my wife brings own shampoo, conditioner and can't wear anything scented. Even in the USA that is a challenge so don't want to have to deal with that on the cruise.

I can also tell you from my experience that having lots of cold and other related remedies with you is very helpful. We have found that if one of those viruses goes around the ship then often some of the items sold are sold out and if one is sick and is at sea without the remedies that you prefer that is not fun and if one is sick they may be too tired to be searching for items in port.

We find it so much easier to bring our own and to minimize the need to look for items. There are some places that you visit on a world cruise where I would not want to be shopping for items.

Anyway like most things come up with a strategy, know the pros and cons of that strategy and realize that we all have our own approaches but I do think it is wise to listen to the experience of others before finalizing an approach.

Keith

In the end just know the rules and have an approach for this.

If your cruise ends or begins outside the USA the restrictions that I copied and pasted are pretty much the same across all companies and that has a lot to do with not only leakage of items but getting through customs. We easily adapt to whatever situation we are in.

As to purchasing items since we are particular about the items we use we don't want to be wasting time to look for precious items in port that likely we may not find. For example, my wife brings own shampoo, conditioner and can't wear anything scented. Even in the USA that is a challenge so don't want to have to deal with that on the cruise.

I can also tell you from my experience that having lots of cold and other related remedies with you is very helpful. We have found that if one of those viruses goes around the ship then often some of the items sold are sold out and if one is sick and is at sea without the remedies that you prefer that is not fun and if one is sick they may be too tired to be searching for items in port.

We find it so much easier to bring our own and to minimize the need to look for items. There are some places that you visit on a world cruise where I would not want to be shopping for items.

Anyway like most things come up with a strategy, know the pros and cons of that strategy and realize that we all have our own approaches but I do think it is wise to listen to the experience of others before finalizing an approach.

Keith

I think this is good advice and one which I intend to follow. I really don't want to spend my time in port trying to find sulfate-free shampoo and BC powder. I woke up this morning, mentally packing what I could ship via HAL, what I needed to take in a carryon, and what I could check on the plane. (I think I need to get a life!) Guess I will just have to wait until HAL sends the list of prohibited items. From what I can gather, it is more restrictive than FedEx's.

Q: What does your wife use to hand wash items? Did she bring a detergent and, if so, what kind? Someone recommended using HAL's shampoo, but I don't know what, if any, effect three months of washing with shampoo will have on a garment. I am thinking of bringing some gentle, dry detergent for this use. As 4*, we have unlimited laundry, but there are always items that need to be hand washed.

We are booked on the HAL 2019 WC. HAL will ship 2 suitcases for each of us. Is there a limit on weight? I am thinking of loading 1 up w/ all of our toiletries (no alcohol products). But it will definitely weigh more than 50lbs (hence don't want to bring it on the plane).

We are booked on the HAL 2019 WC. HAL will ship 2 suitcases for each of us. Is there a limit on weight? I am thinking of loading 1 up w/ all of our toiletries (no alcohol products). But it will definitely weigh more than 50lbs (hence don't want to bring it on the plane).

I'd suggest that you directly call the World Cruise Reservations Desk and ask that question. If they can't answer it, they ought to direct you to some Department that could.

Or, as an alternate, if you have booked through a travel agent, put that agent to work and request them to attempt to find out.