Ultimate Ship's Tour

BuckeyeMark

can you book that in advance or is that a "rush to the excursion desk as soon as you get on" kind of thing?

I'll be on the Golden Princess in June going to Alaska. never done the UST but always wanted to. kinda thinking I may try that this time!

can you book that in advance or is that a "rush to the excursion desk as soon as you get on" kind of thing?

I'll be on the Golden Princess in June going to Alaska. never done the UST but always wanted to. kinda thinking I may try that this time!

It's a "rush to the excursion desk" thing. Although it's at the Guest Services desk (the front desk).

We've done it twice. Both times there really wasn't much of a rush, if you go as soon as you can on embarkation. Not rushing, really, just make it part of what you're going to do.

Yes, you sign up at PAX services desk. I believe they need a minimum number of people interested to schedule it. After that it’s just a first come, first served kind of thing. Bring closed toe shoes (guessing you will for Alaska anyways:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cruiseintoheaven
Spelling error

The UST is excellent and well worth the price ! It cannot be booked in advance. When you board your ship, go to Passenger Services and sign up for it. They can take about 12-16 people, so it does fill up pretty fast.

You will be climbing up and down stairs, plus doing a lot of walking. Most likely, you will be standing up for about 2 1/2 hours straight. On our tour, they moved pretty fast and did not allow time for restroom breaks or sitting down. They do bring nice gifts to your cabin at the end of the tour. - EBC

Speaking of the gifts...

be sure you leave room (and weight) in your suitcases for the swag.

If there are 2 (or more in your group) you will EACH receive:

a heavy, nice quality Princess robe (2+ pounds each)

a picture frame and several pictures of the whole tour group with various ship officers

an apron or a chef's coat (it varies)

a largish and kind of heavy personalized note pad. It's about the size of 1/2 of a sheet of 8X10 paper

a Princess blue bag (yes, another one, in addition to the one that came with your cabin)

There may have been more goodies, can't remember any right now.

Figure on at least 5 pounds for your suitcase, if you're flying.

We were aware of the need for extra space and totally miscalculated. Had to put the robes in my backpack when we left the ship.:o

I did the UST about a year ago on the CB. For pax who have trouble with the stairs, they went on the elevator while the rest of us used the stairs. You will be on your feet the entire time. To me it was well worth the price as I was able to see some of the inside workings of the ship. We were addressed by ship personnel at every stop and yes they do have a morgue. Luckily when I saw it, it was empty. We did go to the engine control room, back stage, galley, medical and finally the bridge where we met the captain and had our picture taken. There are no cameras or pictures allowed on the tour but we had a ship photographer with us the entire time taking photos at most stops of the group. The pictures are later place in your cabin. There usually is not a large number of pax wanting to do this but you do need to go to the PSD on the first day to sign up.

Yes I agree, it was not really a rush. Just check in at service desk. We only had about 12 people sign up, so it was not a problem to make the cut. I did the one on the Royal Princess and I thought it was one of the best things we had done. Most of the pleasure I think is who is on the tour with you and the Princess folks doing the tour. We had a great ship captain who was entertaining and answered everyone's questions. Being on the bridge was a highlight.

Your right it’s a Rush and the cost is $150.

Tony

Your right it’s a Rush and the cost is $150.

Tony

We are hoping to do the UST on the Island Princess. Can anyone tell me the number of flights of stairs that one would climb in one go (not the number in the whole tour but getting from one area to another)? Thanks a bunch!

Sandy :):):)

We took the UST on the Regal in February. I waited until after lunch to sign up and ended up on the waiting list. We were numbers 2 and 3. Fortunately, there were enough people for them to add a second tour group. We had 11 people in our group. There were 12 in the group that was a half hour ahead of us.

I went as soon as I boarded the Regal and was 5th on the waiting list. Never moved from that spot. I was able to do it on the Caribbean Princess in January.

It was a very good tour but I enjoyed the Royal Caribbean one better. On Princess you cannot take pictures, they have a photographer take group pictures. I really didn’t want pictures of people I did not know.

Yes I agree, it was not really a rush. Just check in at service desk. We only had about 12 people sign up, so it was not a problem to make the cut. I did the one on the Royal Princess and I thought it was one of the best things we had done. Most of the pleasure I think is who is on the tour with you and the Princess folks doing the tour. We had a great ship captain who was entertaining and answered everyone's questions. Being on the bridge was a highlight.

Uh, yes, it certainly can be a rush thing! There are usually no more than 12-14 or so people that are allowed on the UST. It may not have been a rush to get listed on your cruise, but that is not the case on every cruise by any means! Better to rush and get listed early than to be 1 person too late!

Tom

I went as soon as I boarded the Regal and was 5th on the waiting list. Never moved from that spot. I was able to do it on the Caribbean Princess in January.

It was a very good tour but I enjoyed the Royal Caribbean one better. On Princess you cannot take pictures, they have a photographer take group pictures. I really didn’t want pictures of people I did not know.

Agree. We aren't "picture people". Left the photos in the trash when we left the ship.:(

Can I sign up for people who aren't there?

We'll be cruising with family and spread across 3 cabins. My wife and I in one, our 3 adult daughters in a second, and my parents in a third.

My wife and I will board with our daughters, so that shouldn't be a problem (I think I'm the only one of the 5 that wants to do it anyway). My parents are coming in on a later flight. Would I be able to sign them up? They definitely want to do it.

Can I sign up for people who aren't there?

We'll be cruising with family and spread across 3 cabins. My wife and I in one, our 3 adult daughters in a second, and my parents in a third.

My wife and I will board with our daughters, so that shouldn't be a problem (I think I'm the only one of the 5 that wants to do it anyway). My parents are coming in on a later flight. Would I be able to sign them up? They definitely want to do it.

I am sure that you can sign them up. Children under a certain age are not allowed. I am not sure what the age minimum is so double check.

I am sure that you can sign them up. Children under a certain age are not allowed. I am not sure what the age minimum is so double check.

Should not be a problem in this case.

That depends on your point of view. From the CEO's or CFO's point of view, yes. From the cruiser's point of view. nope. :D

Tom

I don't recall a change in the price since it was first introduced and it seems that people always have to rush to sign up for the tour or lose out.

It's strange that they don't increase the price accordingly.

I don't recall a change in the price since it was first introduced and it seems that people always have to rush to sign up for the tour or lose out.

It's strange that they don't increase the price accordingly.

Perhaps they believe that the price covers their costs, returns a reasonable profit and is fair so there is no need to change it .

Tom