Windstar Alaska

Nonni02

Anyone sail windstar Star Legend to Alaska for 7 day cruise in May? Never took small ship before. Usually sail Celebrity solstice class. Do you get sea sick easily on small ships? How is the service? How is the quality of touring Alaska? (My First time on Cruise Critic. I am happy to be part of this group!)

May 2018 will be the first Alaska cruise for the Star Legend. Windstar is returning to Alaska in May after a long absence. So, nobody has done this cruise yet. My husband and I will be on the Star Legend in Alaska in July and are so excited. Small ship sailing is so superior.

I'm going to be on the cruise in May. There's a roll call thread for it:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2543175

I'm really looking forward to this cruise. I've sailed on Windstar a number of times before and on Star Legend last spring (Lisbon to Barcelona). Service on Windstar is wonderful. Cruising from Lisbon to Barcelona, the chef would go to the markets each port day to get fresh fish so there was a local fresh fish entree on the menu each night. I'm hoping that they will be able to bring on some fresh fish in Alaska too. The suites are large and comfortable and there is plenty of public space so it's never crowded.

We had some choppy seas a couple of days in the Atlantic/Med on that cruise, but I was fine with a ginger pills. The ship is smaller than the big cruise ships but still big enough to be quite stable. For the Alaska cruise, we will be in the inside passage most of the time so it should be pretty calm. I'm boarding in Japan for the Star Collector cruise that includes the Pacific crossing and the May 17 Alaska cruise.

At the bottom of this page is an interview with Captain James Griffiths about what they will be doing in Alaska.

http://blog.windstarcruises.com/2017...mes-griffiths/

It sounds like they are putting a lot into making this a great trip. It should be a very special experience.

I didn't answer your question about touring in Alaska. It's rather general so I'm not sure what you want to know. There is an Alaska board here with lots of information on Alaska. There are posts at the top for trip reports so you can read what other people did in Alaska. My husband and I did a cruise and land tour in Alaska last summer with another couple so I can answer some questions too.

• 5 months later...
May 2018 will be the first Alaska cruise for the Star Legend. Windstar is returning to Alaska in May after a long absence. So, nobody has done this cruise yet. My husband and I will be on the Star Legend in Alaska in July and are so excited. Small ship sailing is so superior.

Hope you will do postings as you travel and/or after your sailing. We have never done Alaska and are considering doing a first-time sailing with Windstar. Our first cruise in 2006 was on one of the Seabourn "triplets". Loved that size and style of ship, especially as it seems that Windstar offers some stops in and around Alaska that would provide more of an "expedition-type" excursion. That could provide more of an "up close and personal" type of experience!! Love to learn any and all details, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 25,440 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

• 1 month later...

Hi, we are looking to do Alaska in August 2019, and have cruised on Windstar previously (Lisbon to Barcelona May 2016). We loved the ship,size, suites, and not having to tender, so are considering trying WS again next summer.

I’m eager to hear from those of you traveling to Alaska now so please share your thoughts—good, bad, ugly-when you return! Thanks.:)

Hi, we are looking to do Alaska in August 2019, and have cruised on Windstar previously (Lisbon to Barcelona May 2016). We loved the ship,size, suites, and not having to tender, so are considering trying WS again next summer.

I’m eager to hear from those of you traveling to Alaska now so please share your thoughts—good, bad, ugly-when you return! Thanks.:)

My husband and I just disembarked the Star Legend yesterday in Vancouver. It was the most amazing 12 days. Totally immersed in the raw beauty of the land and sea, we spent 12 days thrilled. The Expedition Team is incredibly competent and thoroughly fun to be with. I highly recommend the kayaking/zodiac expedition excursions. We did three excursions outside of Windstar: a helicopter trip up to a glacier outside of Juneau; an incredible whale watching excursion in Hoonah; and flightseeing to Tongass National Forest in Ketchikan. All three were most memorable. As always (this was our 8th WS cruise), the food and service was delightful. We met so many fascinating passengers as well. It was sad to disembark. If using a tender is a concern for you, this is not an itinerary that you should consider. We tendered many times.

What are your concerns about tendering?

The ports where you are tendering are in very sheltered water so the ride isn't very smooth.

They have ample crew helping with boarding & debarking from tenders.

With ~200 passengers, there was almost never a wait for the tender.

You do need to be able to do stairs as there are two flights of stairs between the lounge and the marina area where you board the tenders. There are also some steps inside the tender.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Thank you, I’ve never tendered and it makes me nervous. Did you feel you missed out on anything by not going to Glacier Bay?

Interested in the response from ridethetide. I'll do my best having cruised on Star Pride AND having been into Glacier Bay aboard Princess, all within the last 8 months. Windstar is very special given its personalized service and ability to get into small ports. But in my mind, not having a permit for Glacier Bay make it way less than it could be for Alaska. It isn't their fault; they simply don't have one. Glacier Bay is that special. But the rest of an Alaska itinerary is very, very cool.

What are your concerns about tendering?

The ports where you are tendering are in very sheltered water so the ride isn't very smooth.

They have ample crew helping with boarding & debarking from tenders.

With ~200 passengers, there was almost never a wait for the tender.

You do need to be able to do stairs as there are two flights of stairs between the lounge and the marina area where you board the tenders. There are also some steps inside the tender.

New_cruiser, I believe you meant that the ride is not very rough rather than not very smooth. Our tender rides were quick and easy with able assistance on both coming and going. It is easier than getting in and out of a zodiac, but I must say that the WS staff does an amazing job of assisting with the zodiacs and kayaks as well.

Interested in the response from ridethetide. I'll do my best having cruised on Star Pride AND having been into Glacier Bay aboard Princess, all within the last 8 months. Windstar is very special given its personalized service and ability to get into small ports. But in my mind, not having a permit for Glacier Bay make it way less than it could be for Alaska. It isn't their fault; they simply don't have one. Glacier Bay is that special. But the rest of an Alaska itinerary is very, very cool.

Having never been in Glacier Bay, I cannot comment on whether it was missed. All I can say is that the itinerary I just completed more than satisfied my expectations. It was unbelievable.

How was your sea day crossing the Gulf of Alaska ridethetide? Reason I ask is that we crossed with gale force winds over the bow on the 110,000tn Golden on our way from Whittier to the Hubbard Glacier and then calm waters and bluebird sky after that. It was a helluva ride, for sure. We were fine but the 'bags' were out all over the ship. I can only imagine it on Star Legend. Hope you had fair sky and calm seas.

Oh, and there's absolutely nothing to be concerned about in terms of tender ports. The ships essentially have a big hatch on each side at the stern. You easily walk down stairs and out onto a shipside 'dock'. Then an easy series of steps over the side holding the hand of a crewmember as you step aboard the launch.

How was your sea day crossing the Gulf of Alaska ridethetide? Reason I ask is that we crossed with gale force winds over the bow on the 110,000tn Golden on our way from Whittier to the Hubbard Glacier and then calm waters and bluebird sky after that. It was a helluva ride, for sure. We were fine but the 'bags' were out all over the ship. I can only imagine it on Star Legend. Hope you had fair sky and calm seas.

Our itinerary did not take us across the Gulf of Alaska. We had calm seas nearly the entire trip.

New_cruiser, I believe you meant that the ride is not very rough rather than not very smooth. Our tender rides were quick and easy with able assistance on both coming and going. It is easier than getting in and out of a zodiac, but I must say that the WS staff does an amazing job of assisting with the zodiacs and kayaks as well.
I meant it IS very smooth. "isn't" may have been a typo plus auto correct.

I agree about the kayak and zodiac assistance. I felt very secure thanks to the assistance provided and the trip was my first time for ship to zodiac and for kayaking in real kayaks. I did inflatable kayaking on the American River long ago but the inflatables are a different boat.

Our itinerary did not take us across the Gulf of Alaska. We had calm seas nearly the entire trip.
My cruise was the first of the season. Crossing the gulf in May, the water was fairly rough. Rough enough to be glad at times that there is a handrail in the hallways. No problem for me with Bonine - the only day I took it on the cruise. They turned off the elevators part of the day because they can jam in very rough seas.

Having never been in Glacier Bay, I cannot comment on whether it was missed. All I can say is that the itinerary I just completed more than satisfied my expectations. It was unbelievable.
We were an a cruise that visited Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier last August. It is an excellent opportunity to see glaciers.

I'd say that the opportunity to spend extended time on Star Legend near Aialik Glacier in Kenai Fjords and the glaciers in Tracy or Endicott Arm on Windstar is at least as good a glacier experience. If you go on a kayak or zodiac excursion to get even closer than hands down the Windstar itinerary wins. You get so much closer to the glaciers.

Also having a team of half a dozen naturalists for 200 passengers greatly enhances the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, and I apologize to OP for hijacking the thread. There’s a deal in for a July 2019 sailing that is quite a lot less expensive and so even though we wanted to go in August for our anniversary, that savings seems significant.

So one more question, in Alaska ho pow essential is it to have a “balcony” suite. Last trip we had one and it’s really just a windo since it’s like a Juliet balcony and you can’t sit out there or anything. It was nice to open the window but I wonder if Alaska weather makes it less essential. Thanks!

Thanks all, and I apologize to OP for hijacking the thread. There’s a deal in for a July 2019 sailing that is quite a lot less expensive and so even though we wanted to go in August for our anniversary, that savings seems significant.

So one more question, in Alaska ho pow essential is it to have a “balcony” suite. Last trip we had one and it’s really just a windo since it’s like a Juliet balcony and you can’t sit out there or anything. It was nice to open the window but I wonder if Alaska weather makes it less essential. Thanks!

Sujormik, my husband and I just disembarked the Star Legend in Vancouver on July 24th. It was such a fabulous trip that we have booked the July 6, 2019 itinerary out of Seward. We never tired of the raw beauty that greeted us everywhere we sailed. We had a balcony and have booked the same suite for 2019. Many of my best photos were taken from the open balcony door. Because the weather can be rainy, standing out on the deck to take in the beauty is not always inviting. To us, the balcony was well worth the extra money. We hope to see you on July 6th.

Tendering is another adventure of cruising. On a small ship would not be a problem.

Glacier Bay is worth going to but did not live up to hype in my opinion.

Totally agree. Went to Glacier Bay for the first time this summer on a big ship. Beautiful place and glad we saw it once. Did not really live up to the hype.....but probably one of the most beautiful places on the face of this earth.

Just got off the Star Legend in Vancouver on July 24th. If your looking for value in a cruise, this is not it. The cabins were spacious and well-designed. The maintenance of the cabin was below par. The boat is in significant need of refurbishment. The propulsion system (engines/transmission/shafts/propellers) was out of balance and the boat vibrated badly. There were other maintenance problems such as bent door jams, carpeting needs replacing throughout, and the like.

When we first arrived on the ship in Seward, Alaska, the drinks were poured at a level you would expect at any fine hotel or resort. Then the Beverage Manager got to the bar tenders and had them pouring short pours--that is, only to the rim of the shot glass. This is supposed to be a first cabin trip. This alone downgraded it to lower economy.

The excursions were not monitored in the slightest by Windstar. It soon became apparent that if you had done your homework, you could schedule your own on-shore excursions saving yourself at least 25% and more likely 50%. The quality of the excursions was not good. The exception to this was the Kayak and Zodiac excursions from the boat. Those folks knew what they were doing, had excellent equipment, and provided dollar value by their knowlegeable commentary throughout their tours. Hooray for those folks. We went on one excursion where the cowboys who ran it didn't know what they were doing, lacked requisite safety equipment, and put the folks on the excursion in danger. No one aboard ship seemed to care.

At every turn, the people on board the ship were trying to sell to us. Increasing on-board revenue seems to be their only goal.

This is my first experience with Windstar and it will be my last.

Just got off the Star Legend in Vancouver on July 24th. If your looking for value in a cruise, this is not it. The cabins were spacious and well-designed. The maintenance of the cabin was below par. The boat is in significant need of refurbishment. The propulsion system (engines/transmission/shafts/propellers) was out of balance and the boat vibrated badly. There were other maintenance problems such as bent door jams, carpeting needs replacing throughout, and the like.

When we first arrived on the ship in Seward, Alaska, the drinks were poured at a level you would expect at any fine hotel or resort. Then the Beverage Manager got to the bar tenders and had them pouring short pours--that is, only to the rim of the shot glass. This is supposed to be a first cabin trip. This alone downgraded it to lower economy.

The excursions were not monitored in the slightest by Windstar. It soon became apparent that if you had done your homework, you could schedule your own on-shore excursions saving yourself at least 25% and more likely 50%. The quality of the excursions was not good. The exception to this was the Kayak and Zodiac excursions from the boat. Those folks knew what they were doing, had excellent equipment, and provided dollar value by their knowlegeable commentary throughout their tours. Hooray for those folks. We went on one excursion where the cowboys who ran it didn't know what they were doing, lacked requisite safety equipment, and put the folks on the excursion in danger. No one aboard ship seemed to care.

At every turn, the people on board the ship were trying to sell to us. Increasing on-board revenue seems to be their only goal.

This is my first experience with Windstar and it will be my last.

I was on the Star Legend cruise that disembarked in Vancouver on July

Edited by ridethetide
error