Is it possible?

GUT2407

Gut, please make sure you are sitting down when reading this as it may shock you.

Ā 

Some people do actually take land-based holidays.:eek:

Ā 

Some actually suffer long distance flights to travel around countries by land.:eek:

Ā 

We, the enlightened, know that there is only one true way to enjoy a holiday - cruising! :D

Ā 

Treat these people gently, humour them by asking about their travels. Where possible point out the far superior advantages of visiting places on a cruise ship, but be careful not to upset them. After all, they think they have made the right choice and even if you don't think a land holiday is a true holiday, allow them to enjoy as much of their unfortunate choice as they can. ;)

My brother is like that, he won't even talk about the possibility.

Ā 

Dad had to cross the seas in a troop ship back in the day, twice. Said he would never get on another ship, ever. Must have rubbed off on my brother. Oh well, nobody's perfect. I mean he's otherwise a really great guy. Really.

Many years ago, my late DH & I decided that there were "trips" and there were "vacations" (US version of a holiday).

Ā 

Trips were made by/on land & required a good bit of work, tho were usually very interesting/enjoyable (our Kenyan safari, tours of France, Italy, etc).

Ā 

Vacations were cruises -- unpack once, see multiple places w/little effort, no arguing about where to eat, being together doing different things (he played bridge; I sat in the shade on deck & read; met for dinner).

Ā 

Over the years, cruises soon out-numbered trips -- easier as we/I aged. Sometimes I'm tempted by a land tour, but then decide it's too much for these older bones!

Gut, please make sure you are sitting down when reading this as it may shock you.

Ā 

Some people do actually take land-based holidays.:eek:

Ā 

Some actually suffer long distance flights to travel around countries by land.:eek:

Ā 

We, the enlightened, know that there is only one true way to enjoy a holiday - cruising! :D

Ā 

Treat these people gently, humour them by asking about their travels. Where possible point out the far superior advantages of visiting places on a cruise ship, but be careful not to upset them. After all, they think they have made the right choice and even if you don't think a land holiday is a true holiday, allow them to enjoy as much of their unfortunate choice as they can. ;)

Ā 

Love this answer. However, on a serious note there are holidays you simply can't do by cruising (gulp). Touring fantastic Australia comes to mind. You could offset a holiday like that by cruising to and from Australia so that you would have the best of both worlds :D Simple when you think about it ;)

Love this answer. However, on a serious note there are holidays you simply can't do by cruising (gulp). Touring fantastic Australia comes to mind. You could offset a holiday like that by cruising to and from Australia so that you would have the best of both worlds :D Simple when you think about it ;)

Yeah but Straya doesn't count.

Ā 

Can see it any old time.

Heading out in 5 days for a vacation that doesn't involve a cruise. Going to Germany for 9 days. Of course we'll be seeing DW's family so not sure if that really counts as a vacation, but since she's adopted she doesn't get to see her natural family too often (it was thankfully an open adoption so she's always known who they are and was able to see them when she was younger). Of course we have a real vacation scheduled Thanksgiving week on a cruise ship:D.

Many years ago, my late DH & I decided that there were "trips" and there were "vacations" (US version of a holiday).

Ā 

Trips were made by/on land & required a good bit of work, tho were usually very interesting/enjoyable (our Kenyan safari, tours of France, Italy, etc).

Ā 

Vacations were cruises -- unpack once, see multiple places w/little effort, no arguing about where to eat, being together doing different things (he played bridge; I sat in the shade on deck & read; met for dinner).

Ā 

Over the years, cruises soon out-numbered trips -- easier as we/I aged. Sometimes I'm tempted by a land tour, but then decide it's too much for these older bones!

Ā 

You've hit the nail on the head.

Ā 

We took lots of car trips when we were first married and when our sons were younger. We started cruising fairly recently - 2008 to Alaska. Now we're working on our "bucket list".

Our trips/vacations have largely evolved into hybrid activities: fly to somewhere we can use as a base for land travel: Rome, London, Barcelona, Athens, Venice - and then come back by ship to as close to home as possible.

Ā 

Upcoming will be a few days in Quebec then a coastal cruise down to New York (45 minutes from home). It is too bad there are not more one way itineraries ending in Manhattan.

Off topic, but response re: vacation/holiday made me curious - if all occasions that you can use your days off work to cruise are holidays, what do you call Christmas, New Years Day, etc?

I certainly can relate to all cruises being Personal Holidays (as opposed to USA National Holidays)

I love idiomatic vernacular.

Most English speaking countries call a vacation, a holiday. Not the day itself but the thing.

Ā 

The 'holiday' period as it is known in America is simply called Christmas elsewhere. Since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving, it typically doesn't start until at least Dec 1, which is the start of advent. The Christmas or winter 'holidays' would refer to the time that schools are closed, or the shorter time between Christmas and New Years when some workplaces also close. Summer holidays are the summer break when school is closed, or someone's summer vacation can also be referred to as their summer holiday.

Ā 

Then there's bank holidays, which are national days off work for things like May Day, Labor Day, etc. Christmas and New Years are bank holidays if they fall on a weekday, but not if they fall on a weekend. Good Friday and Easter Monday are always bank holidays.

Our trips/vacations have largely evolved into hybrid activities: fly to somewhere we can use as a base for land travel: Rome, London, Barcelona, Athens, Venice - and then come back by ship to as close to home as possible.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Upcoming will be a few days in Quebec then a coastal cruise down to New York (45 minutes from home). It is too bad there are not more one way itineraries ending in Manhattan.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Plus 1.

Ā 

One of our favorite cruises was Panama Canal from "home" SF to "hometown" NYC where we then had an extended stay.

Currently, our usual cruise practice is to sandwich an approx 3 week cruise between interesting (and preferably new-to-us) start/end ports where we spend extra time. It's a most efficacious way to scout out locations for future land based or pre/post cruise stays. Only limitation here for many folks is that you are gone for about a month at a time.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weird as it is to some, I love road trips. Note the word "trip."

Ā 

When I was a child we went on trips. Never once called it a vacation, never once went to some destination for the sake of the destination. Mostly road trips to visit family. We would stop at places between here and there to see some things, scenery or whatever. Always loved that, still do.

Ā 

I like going on cruises even better than road trips, but the only place I refer to it as a vacation is at work. I guess because I will be "vacating" my spot at work for somewhere more interesting and fun. Mostly I just refer to them as a cruise (duh) or my next trip.

Ā 

In fact, I hardly ever use the word vacation. Not sure why, maybe because it seems like a word for going somewhere and doing nothing which isn't something I've really done.

Ā 

Trips, to me, refer to what happens between here and there, door to door, or embarkation to debarking.

Ā 

Interesting how we use words.

Plus 1.

Ā 

One of our favorite cruises was Panama Canal from "home" SF to "hometown" NYC where we then had an extended stay.

Currently, our usual cruise practice is to sandwich an approx 3 week cruise between interesting (and preferably new-to-us) start/end ports where we spend extra time. It's a most efficacious way to scout out locations for future land based or pre/post cruise stays. Only limitation here for many folks is that you are gone for about a month at a time.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I suspect that money is also a limitation for many.

I suspect that money is also a limitation for many.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

...which is why we do cruises this "combo month" way and usually only two per year. Making the most of that international airfare and having the value laden cruise sandwiched in is a far less expensive way to go than 4 to 6 seven to ten day trips. Of course, that still makes it tough (if not impossible) for four Los who have not yet retired.

Ā 

Ā 

Off topic, but response re: vacation/holiday made me curious - if all occasions that you can use your days off work to cruise are holidays, what do you call Christmas, New Years Day, etc?

I certainly can relate to all cruises being Personal Holidays (as opposed to USA National Holidays)

I love idiomatic vernacular.

Ā 

Ā 

It's another of those linguistic variations that keep a few nations divided by a common language.

Ā 

Here in Australia we call those days like Christmas Day, New Years Day, ANZAC Day, or even like today Queens Birthday, Public Holidays. School breaks are School Holidays, what you call a Vacation, time off work is a holiday, even the act of going away will be a holiday.

Ā 

Thank you. :D

Ā 

And, yes, there are times when you just have to do land travel. I have very happy memories of seven weeks spent touring your lovely country back in 2013. Mind you, I could have done with a cruise after that trip, to recover. :p

Ā 

And (shut your eyes, Gut) I will confess that we are starting our next cruise holiday witrh a few days in Paris first, then taking the TGV down to Barcelona.

Thank you. :D

Ā 

And, yes, there are times when you just have to do land travel. I have very happy memories of seven weeks spent touring your lovely country back in 2013. Mind you, I could have done with a cruise after that trip, to recover. :p

Ā 

And (shut your eyes, Gut) I will confess that we are starting our next cruise holiday witrh a few days in Paris first, then taking the TGV down to Barcelona.

Ā 

eek.

Recently someone told me they were going on a holiday I asked "Which ship" they said "It's not a cruise".

is that really possible?1f914.pngšŸ¤”1f644.pngšŸ™„1f62e.pngšŸ˜®1f61c.pngšŸ˜œ

Yes it is possible, there are lots of people who do not like cruising.