Tour guides?

Justabitoff

We are in the same spot you are. Emailed Karambole but she is already full and we don't arrive for another 4 months! :mad:

We are looking for an island overview tour that includes St Pierre and the rainforest. The tours through the cruise line are way over priced and include destinations we are not interested in, like the rum distillery.

I have read some folks having good luck with hiring a cab for the day at the port so we may do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tour guides on Martinique? I emailed the woman at Karambole but it's already booked for our day in port, so I need to find someone else.

Hi guys

During my last cruise in Aida in Martinique end of last year, I met this tour guide who speaks a quite good english after spending some time in UK and US.

He sent us later a website you can visit on the following :

http://taxinordenvincent.wix.com/discover-martinique

and his email adress is : taxi.norden.vincent@gmail.com

He has a confortable AC 8 people car.

Edited by cruise_dream_love

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I toured the northern part of Martinique on March 21, 2016 with Thomas. We contacted him independently using the scant information in this forum. We spent 6 hours with him in his van with two other couples from Carnival Pride and had a wonderful time. We visited Balata Church, a roadside agricultural sampler, a non-Balata botanical garden farther north, Depaz Distillery, St Pierre and ended with a stop and swim at a volcanic/black sand beach located a mile or 2 south of St Pierre. We advise that you bring snacks and wear your swimsuit underneath casual attire.

http://taxinordenvincent.wix.com/discover-martinique

We are back home in MD and back to work. We won't be following this forum now that our cruise is over. Take our word, Thomas Vincent is real and not a self promotional insert.

thank you so much for getting back. We will see Vincent on 4/12/16. We are only using him from 1p to 4pm and are going to St pierre, waterfall and a beach. Do you know the name of the beach you went to? He has been so great to correspond to especially since he really had to customize with us for 3 hours.

I did not see a name for the beach. It was just south of St Pierre along the coastal highway. Public, uncrowded, picnic table, did not use bathroom, just washed feet at outside faucet, small beach front snack shack was closed. Saut Gendarme was the waterfall that Thomas took us to. Very close to road but beautiful.

Unfortunately he had to cancel because another group from my ship poached him for 6 hours and he'd make more money. Understandable it's a business and i told him i appreciated his honesty in letting me know. It's the last time i post my excursions on my roll call though and on the island sites until I'm done the tour.

I took the Royal Caribbean panoramic excursion today (that is usually a big no no for me)

Considering it was a new place for me I didn't want to go off the beaten path. The excursion was excellent in a huge beautiful bus. With 48 people total, the guide spoke perfect english and we covered a lot of the highlights for $59 a person

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately he had to cancel because another group from my ship poached him for 6 hours and he'd make more money. Understandable it's a business and i told him i appreciated his honesty in letting me know. It's the last time i post my excursions on my roll call though and on the island sites until I'm done the tour.

That is a bummer. :(

• 2 weeks later...
That is a bummer. :(

I agree .... Not cool :(

I've contacted Thomas and he responded pretty fast ... Thinking of booking the 6 hour tour ... Maybe get some friends to go with us too ... Just so hard to find stuff to do in Martinique and this sounds pretty good .... We will be in Martinique on June 4th ... From what I've read, taxis alone are expensive ... So $60/pp for 6 hours doesn't sound too bad

Edited by mcarney

As long as he speaks English. It's a world of difference if you do. My day was with kata mambo and while it was ok, it definitely wasn't the best excursion. We walked very briefly in fort de france and walked right to ship. I suppose with a guide it would have been better.

I should add that kata mambo is a catamaran that i did for a 1/2 day and it was raining. Snorkeling for 20 minutes and most of trip captain drove around for dolphins spotting. If i didn't have fellow passengers from my ship with me i would have jumped off and swam to shore.

Well, I now have 6 people that want to go on the Thomas tour ... So excited that I've finally secured something for Martinique ... I was going crazy researching -

Those that did use Thomas, was he open to changing his tour? If you could change any of the stops, what would it be?

TIA

Marianne

• 9 months later...
I took the Royal Caribbean panoramic excursion today (that is usually a big no no for me)

Considering it was a new place for me I didn't want to go off the beaten path. The excursion was excellent in a huge beautiful bus. With 48 people total, the guide spoke perfect english and we covered a lot of the highlights for $59 a person

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

We were looking at this tour also? Did the roads seem really windy? Just a little worried about motion sickness. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any suggestions for tour guides on Martinique? I emailed the woman at Karambole but it's already booked for our day in port, so I need to find someone else.

We arrived in Martinique on the Anthem OTS 2 weeks ago. Note that here there we no hordes of tour operators/taxi drivers - just buses for pre-booked tours.

We found a red vest guy on the street (the official info guys) who directed us to an ATM. If you leave the pier and go to the right and walk about 2-3 blocks to the corner just before the park and turn left to head inland. On that first block are several banks with ATMs. We found one that had the ATM inside and used it to get 100 euros.

The same red-vest guy advised us to return to the taxi stand by the pier and find the guy with the blue vest. We did that. We said we wanted a tour of the northern part of the island. He hooked us up with 5 others whose RCI excursion had been cancelled due to lack of interest. Within minutes we were on our way with a 4-hour tour that included stops at the Sacred Heart church, Alma River/rainforest and DePaz distillery. The driver spoke good English (and french). This is important and cannot be assumed. We were stopped viewing Mt Pele and a large tour bus stopped next to us. One of the riders asked us what mountain we were looking at as their guide did not speak English!

It cost us 80 euros (the others paid $100/couple) for the 2 of us. In retrospect, I wish we could have upped it to 6 hours, but it was great nevertheless. I wish too we'd gotten more euros to spend in town. Bottom line: use the officials in the red and blue vests!

• 4 weeks later...

The roads there were extremely curvey I was so nauseous in no time at all.

We were looking at this tour also? Did the roads seem really windy? Just a little worried about motion sickness. thanks

• 4 weeks later...