Cruise with one-year-old

Ellillen

Hi everyone! I’m Ellinor from sweden, I’m new here. In three weeks we are going on our first cruise. We will go with Allure. 7 days Haiti-Jamaica-Mexico. We have a little boy who turns one during the sail. What are your best tips for cruising with a one year old? What excursions could you recommend? Anything else we should know?

Thank you!

Edited by Ellillen
wrong spelling

We sailed Explorer to Bermuda and our son was 14 months and it went fine, very smooth. Every kid is different but you should have no issues, just enjoy the cruise. Our son is 4 now and he just completed his 3 cruise ***** Anthem, 9 days to Canada/NE. Had a blast, very fun cruise. He says everyday he wants to back to "my boat". I think we might just do that? ;)

Hi everyone! I’m Ellinor from sweden, I’m new here. In three weeks we are going on our first cruise. We will go with Allure. 7 days Haiti-Jamaica-Mexico. We have a little boy who turns one during the sail. What are your best tips for cruising with a one year old? What excursions could you recommend? Anything else we should know?

Thank you!

I think I am on the same cruise as you.

I took my little one on her first Cruise at 13 months and she is now 5. This will be her 6th Cruise so needless to say it went well.

I would say pack lots of wipes and juice as only soda available onboard.

Take a comfy pushchair/stroller so your little one can nap while you enjoy the ship. We found a quiet bar in the evenings and let her sleep while we had a few drinks and used the nursery when we wanted to go to shows. I took her there asleep placed her on their cot and then carried her asleep back to the cabin and she knew nothing about it.

I also took a tiny blow up paddling pool to put in shower tray and used it as a little bath. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I am on the same cruise as you.

I took my little one on her first Cruise at 13 months and she is now 5. This will be her 6th Cruise so needless to say it went well.

I would say pack lots of wipes and juice as only soda available onboard.

Take a comfy pushchair/stroller so your little one can nap while you enjoy the ship. We found a quiet bar in the evenings and let her sleep while we had a few drinks and used the nursery when we wanted to go to shows. I took her there asleep placed her on their cot and then carried her asleep back to the cabin and she knew nothing about it.

I also took a tiny blow up paddling pool to put in shower tray and used it as a little bath. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do not need to take juice and there are lots of drinks included with the child's are including tap water (not bottled), white and chocolate milk, orange juice (not fresh squeezed), usually other juices such as Apple, cranberry and tomato. Juice is usually served at breakfast, but you can request in the dining room for the baby.

Much more available than just soda, including lemonade, flavored water, tea, iced tea, coffee, etc. These are all included except soda which you have to pay for.

You outright enjoy reading the family boards for lots of information.

Most common advice is to take everything you need on board with you. Examples: diapers, child medications, eating utensils, etc. The ship may sell some items but little selection and expensive. They do not have child-sized spoons, sippy cups, etc. Also take lots of sun block.

Remember diapers, including swim diapers, are not allowed in the pools; just in small baby area only.

Stroller is good to have but wouldn't take a huge one. Not much room in cabin, or in venues on the ship.

Make sure you request a pack and play to use as a crib. They are available, but you should order ahead of time.

As mentioned, take any medications you would normally have for your child (at the very least, acetaminophen or ibuprofen), but I also recommend liquid Benadryl (diphenhydramine).

If your child does happen to experience seasickness / motion sickness (rare, but it can happen), children's Benadryl is what the medical clinic's doctor will give you. And if your baby gets a cold or allergy-related runny nose during your trip, the Benadryl will do double-duty for that, as well.