Does NCL allow you to take some food items on board?

jknc

According to NCL you can take things on board that are pre-packaged and sealed. What items are you considering carrying along?

The good news is that there is about a bazillion and one choices for kids to eat on board including the standard kids menu in all restaurants. It would be hard to believe that your couldn't find something for you child to eat.

Enjoy.

Concerned that my son only eats a few choice foods, so we need to have a back up plan. Thanks.

Let us know what type of food you are taking.

And if a medical condition.

Or just particular. (and standby for some lectures about how mother nature will not let him starve to death)

If your child is picky like "he'll only eat chicken fingers, hot dogs and french fries" you'll be fine. If he's picky like "he'll only eat Muselix and tyson's brand chicken fingers" then you might want to contact special needs to ensure you won't have any trouble at embarkation (you shouldn't for just bringing packaged foods. NCL doesn't want beverages coming in since that cuts down on their sales but will make exceptions for infants on formula or people with medical needs).

There is plenty for picky kids onboard. The buffet is a good bet. There's pizza, french fries, different breads and crackers, etc. The dining rooms all have pretty standard kids menus as well. A cruise is also a great time for picky eaters to explore other options as well.

My kids loved the buffet but surprised me by ordering "grown up" food (and liking it!) at the restaurants every night. Since our cruise they've been way more adventurous in their food choices at home, too. Willing to try just about anything!

Concerned that my son only eats a few choice foods, so we need to have a back up plan. Thanks.

snacks like crackers, chips etc yes, as for any foods that are fresh, no. I am sure your son will find something to eat, there is almost everything on the ship but that is not what you asked I realize. Now if you are talking medical reasons that is a different story. Then you contact special services. If he is just picky that is a different story.

Is it just you put food in front of your son and he says NO, or is it a medical condition that he can't eat certain foods. The ship has literally hundreds of different dishes, and they can be altered to eliminate or add certain ingredients, I really don't think you NEED to bring any food for him, they have more food than one can imagine, and I don't think he will go the whole cruise without eating anything there.

Let us know what type of food you are taking.

And if a medical condition.

Or just particular. (and standby for some lectures about how mother nature will not let him starve to death)

You nailed it about starving to death lectures. Thanks.

We just came off the Escape. I packed a bunch of pre-packaged snacks and baby food (my kids are 3 and 1) and those went through no problem. However, we did have some issues with finding other things my kids would eat. Buffet meats were often tough (burgers, chicken, pork, other meats) and hard for them to chew. The salads were a win for our kids at every place we went, whether at buffet or dining rooms. Pasta was an option every night, so that went over well for mine. If the sauce looks too rich you can ask for something else and they might accommodate. Plenty of fruit to eat, but we had trouble finding cooked veggies they would eat (again, because my kids are small and they found the veggies were hard to chew). I did ask a few times for extra soft veggies in dining rooms and they accommodated no problem. We really missed avocados (both of my kids love mashed up on toast) - but I realize not everyone is into that so wasn’t surprised it wasn’t offered. Kids menu was the typical chicken fingers, hot dogs, etc. so we never ordered from that, just as a personal preference. Oh, and just FYI O’Sheehan’s doesn’t offer the kids menu at all if you do want it- something we would have liked to know ahead of time because by that point (last day) I was willing to just order the chicken fingers and fries and be done with it! They wouldn’t budge on that, nor did they have veggies or anything else kid friendly there, so we had to leave and go elsewhere. Overall I thought there were plentiful options to fit most needs- some are more specific than others so if that’s your case I agree to contact them with your needs and they should help you accommodate. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got back from cruise on Escape with 15 year old son, severe allergy to a wide array of foods---nuts, wheat, egg, chicken, and many more. We completed the special paperwork ahead of time and packed an entire suitcase of food for him in case we were uncomfortable with the specially prepared food onboard. We packed a note in the suitcase that had the food, along with a full copy of his allergy paperwork completed on the cruise lines forms.

They let everything thru no problems.

We ended up using about half of it as he was able to do breakfast (6 mini-boxes of cereal with milk plus whole fruit) and dinner (2 NY Strip steaks with 2 orders of fresh cut fries). He ate the stuff we brought for lunch and snacks. We brought wheat free bread, beef jerky, pepperoni sticks, bbq chips, tortilla chips, salsa, and cereal.

We were extremely happy with how NCL handled the food allergy situation, from allowing us to bring food on board to specially preparing his meals.

Edited by BeeeJay