Exchanging Money

Empehi

When to change money from USD to CUC, before you return to the ship if you have extra CUC can you exchange it back to USD? What is the spread? Can you use USD anywhere? Will you get change in USD?

It appears to be 1 to 1 exchange rate.

Any insight on how to deal with money matter would be appreciated?

Thanks.

That is odd given the independent tour company we booked through is accepting US currency

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you paying on line ahead? I did for one tour, in USD but I believe they have an office in the US. Many tour operators have HQ in countries outside of Cuba or so it seeemed when I was researching....

Merchants and tour operators can accept USD but they lose in the end since they have to exchange to CUC. They can accept but not spend. The exchange rate is very close to 1:1 but there IS a fee, from what I have been able to gather it's about $3 for every hundred.

We were just there last week and this is what we found. They do charge a 10% fee to exchange USD to CUC and then 3% to change any remaining CUC to USD. There were some places that did take USD, you just had to ask around. When you do exchange the money make sure to get some lower bills and even coins for tips, toilet paper, etc. Also, be sure to watch when you do receive change that you receive CUC back and not the local CUP. They are different and at a different exchange rate. I did have 1 person try to give me change in CUP and I caught it and he went to get me the change in CUCs.

That is odd given the independent tour company we booked through is accepting US currency

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What company is that? Did they hit you with the extra 10% fee? US $$ are hit with an extra 10% fee when exchanging to CUCs.

I was there in May 2017, MOST places do NOT accept US $$, nor do vendors at the flea market, etc.

SOME change may be given in Cuban PESO, which is legal tender, but is for the locals not the tourists. Just be aware of this.

i have a photo of 4 different CUCs and 4 different CUPs. It looks like the easiest difference is the CUCs have a monument or statue on them and the CUPs have a man's head. Is that correct?

Yes. I was trying to remember ... but yes, CUCs have 'buildings' and CUP (Cuban Pesos) have 'people'.

Just returned from MOS visit to Havana. Long story but we were late for our RCCL tour and were not able to stop to exchange money. As it turned out....the government stores that sell Cigars, rum, coffee at a fixed price....took our Euros and gave us change in Euros. We were told to bring Euros to avoid the 10% penalty. So...Euros worked fine for our needs.