Are there really no outlets in the Bathrooms??

Maya1234

Someone reported that their Bliss Haven bathroom had NO electrical outlets. Is this true? I’ve never stayed in a hotel anywhere no matter how cheap that didn’t provide a bathroom outlet.
Our non-Haven bathroom on the Bliss had an outlet up by the light. hard to see but it was there. Wouldn't surprise me if someone missed it and thought there was no outlet.

Just note, the outlets are for electric razors only. They are not for hairdryers, flatirons, etc. Here's a picture from a Haven courtyard penthouse that shows the outlet. It is the square metal piece on the underside of the light. https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/norwegian-bliss-988/haven-courtyard-penthouse-suite-412485/haven-courtyard-penthouse-suite--v18440266/

Just note, the outlets are for electric razors only. They are not for hairdryers, flatirons, etc. Here's a picture from a Haven courtyard penthouse that shows the outlet. It is the square metal piece on the underside of the light. https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/norwegian-bliss-988/haven-courtyard-penthouse-suite-412485/haven-courtyard-penthouse-suite--v18440266/

Yes, anything that draws more than about 40 milliamps (about 4 watts of power) will blow the fuse, and the outlet will be unusable until the internal fuse is replaced. Your common hair dryer draws 1500-1800 watts of power, so the fuse will last less than one second after you turn it on. In hotels they use GFCI outlets to protect you against electrical shock, on the ship it is the "razor" outlet.

Ugh. That's horrible ! I often flat iron while hubby is sleeping. What a terrible set up!!!

That’s safety.

In many places (outside the US) it is against code to have anything more than a shaver outlet in the bathroom. Only the US is “smart” enough to put electricity near water.

It is exact set up that any reasonable person would expect.

You're on a ship, in the wind...on a freestyle cruise..let it flow....

And excellent point about not enough power in the bathroom to run a hair dryer/curling iron etc....many US bathrooms past a certain age don't even have GFCI outlets.....

That’s safety.
Not correct. If it was safety, then every bathroom built in the last 20+ years is unsafe. It's about cost and the cheapest way to build a bathroom. That's cheapness.

So those who expect to be able to use a blow dryer, straightener, etc in a bathroom are unreasonable? I don't appreciate being called unreasonable.

Not correct. If it was safety, then every bathroom built in the last 20+ years is unsafe. It's about cost and the cheapest way to build a bathroom. That's cheapness.

So those who expect to be able to use a blow dryer, straightener, etc in a bathroom are unreasonable? I don't appreciate being called unreasonable.

Visit any European Union hotel bathroom and you will find a razor socket only. NCL...

Visit any European Union hotel bathroom and you will find a razor socket only. NCL...
Point taken, I think. If I could still edit my post, I would change it to say "then every bathroom built in the last 20+ years in the US is unsafe"

Point taken, I think. If I could still edit my post, I would change it to say "then every bathroom built in the last 20+ years in the US is unsafe"

Yes Americans use lots of electric stuff in the bathroom besides razors. We use hair dryers, water picks, electric tooth brushes, and women use curling irons. I even have a night light in my bathroom socket.

It takes all these electric appliances to make us Americans look and smell as good as we are :halo::*;)

I'm finding it hard to believe that bathrooms in any new USA homes/buildings built in the last 20 years are not built with ground fault circuit interrupters. (circuit breakers)

The key words are "new" and "last 20 years". Many of us live in older homes, mine is 200 years old, and the only time wiring needs to be updated to present day electrical code is if a contractor is remodeling. When I bought the house 36 years ago, it still had "tube and knob" wiring (google it if you don't know old houses), and no GFCI's anywhere. Today, I have rewired the entire house, up to current code. But that is my choice, and it wasn't required.

My husband sleeps like a log while I sit at the desk/vanity in the cabin to flat iron my hair. At home I stand in the bathroom to do my hair, but on the ship I enjoy being able to sit down.

We bring a small nightlight we plug in the bathroom "razor" outlet.

Only the US is “smart” enough to put electricity near water.

You ever been to Japan? Their fancy toilets don't run on magic.

Now, I grant that standards in Japan are on a whole 'nother level from even the US, but the fancy toilet thing is expanding to other parts of Asia that certainly don't have Japan's reputation for quality. So, if those countries can easily do it, it's not a technical issue. Just a money issue.

You ever been to Japan? Their fancy toilets don't run on magic.

Now, I grant that standards in Japan are on a whole 'nother level from even the US, but the fancy toilet thing is expanding to other parts of Asia that certainly don't have Japan's reputation for quality. So, if those countries can easily do it, it's not a technical issue. Just a money issue.

No, its not a technical issue, and he never said it was. The Japanese electronic toilets plug into a wall outlet, that is part of a circuit that uses a GFCI breaker, not at the outlet. Most US houses use GFCI outlets in kitchens and baths, but protecting an entire circuit with one GFCI breaker is also used. Interesting to note, most Japanese home wiring is not grounded, so not as safe as US wiring, sort of like US wiring before the 70's, so don't go there with "standards in Japan". As for Europe, they simply don't want the risk of electric shock, so they limit the current allowed to outlets in baths by using fuses. Most UK appliances have those big boxy plugs, and these contain fuses in them as well as the outlet having fuses behind the cover plate.

Could the ship install GFCI's instead of the low current "razor" outlets in the baths? Sure, and you would have probably a hundred of them "ghost" tripping every single day, due to the ship's floating ground and ground faults around the ship that have nothing to do with the circuit the GFCI outlet is on. It's not a "money" thing, it is a "practical" thing.

No, its not a technical issue, and he never said it was.

He said it was a safety issue and it's really not. It's a cheap way of being safe.

Could the ship install GFCI's instead of the low current "razor" outlets in the baths? Sure, and you would have probably a hundred of them "ghost" tripping every single day, due to the ship's floating ground and ground faults around the ship that have nothing to do with the circuit the GFCI outlet is on. It's not a "money" thing, it is a "practical" thing.
My understanding is there are ways to deal with that as well, but they cost money.

I stand by what I said, it's a money thing.

He said it was a safety issue and it's really not. It's a cheap way of being safe.

My understanding is there are ways to deal with that as well, but they cost money.

I stand by what I said, it's a money thing.

I hear what you say, cheaper is always a driver in business. However in this case there is also an EU LEGISLATIVE requirement and NCL builds its ships in Europe AFAIK.