Xpedition--Galapagoes

silkismom

Is there any advantage to booking a cruise to the Galapagoes on board a Celebrity/Azamara cruise?

Not that we know of. I think the Xpedition is eliminated from any OBC offers and have no idea what you would do with OBCs anyhow, since the sailings are totally all inclusive.

Yes there is under the new booking structure! We just did this in July. If you book on board you can pick the option to get the $500 OBC right away on your current cruise. The instant OBC is equal to your deposit. While the deposit is nonrefundable if you do not spend the OBC on your cruise they refund it to your credit card. So in essence you can book this cruise on board with no deposit. So in addition to the 5% elite discount this can save you another $500. No, it's not a huge savings but I'll take anything I can get on a cruise that cost that much! :)

Hummm, wonder if we dare wait till Apr on our TA crossing to book Nov/Dec 2016? Won't need the OBC for Azamara but our drink bill would profit on the crossing!

Honestly, the bookings on Xpedition float all over the place. They may show no availability on certain date and then the next day show lots of cabins (well, lots being relative on that size vessel). Plus, be very wary of the pricing. Just looked at a site where an OV for mid November 2016 was priced at around $11k per person. It is a great trip...but $22k for a 7 day? Not in your wildest dreams :)

As for the Quito extension...if you have been there before you might skip it. But, it includes a decent city and environs tour, the hotel accommodations are great and makes flights/transfers to Baltra seamless.

As for the Machu Picchu extension, we did it on our own, spent lots more time at the ruins, stayed overnight in Aguas Calientes and more, for much LESS than half the =X= add-on price.

Yes there is under the new booking structure! We just did this in July. If you book on board you can pick the option to get the $500 OBC right away on your current cruise. The instant OBC is equal to your deposit. While the deposit is nonrefundable if you do not spend the OBC on your cruise they refund it to your credit card. So in essence you can book this cruise on board with no deposit. So in addition to the 5% elite discount this can save you another $500. No, it's not a huge savings but I'll take anything I can get on a cruise that cost that much! :)

This $500 offer was available on the Summit last week as well.

Just looked at a site where an OV for mid November 2016 was priced at around $11k per person. It is a great trip...but $22k for a 7 day? Not in your wildest dreams :) quote]

Since I paid 4500$ for my 10 days in May 2012 - u got me curious... Mid Nov 2016 prices for an OV vary between 4700-4850$ (prepaid gratuities included) on my usual online site.

There is a 15 day "cruise" priced indeed at around 10K.

Just looked at a site where an OV for mid November 2016 was priced at around $11k per person. It is a great trip...but $22k for a 7 day? Not in your wildest dreams :) quote]

Since I paid 4500$ for my 10 days in May 2012 - u got me curious... Mid Nov 2016 prices for an OV vary between 4700-4850$ (prepaid gratuities included) on my usual online site.

Like I said, it was on another site. Here it is in all its glory. It is the 7 day.

Trip Summary

$21,218.00

7 Night Galapagos Islands CruiseDepart: Isla Baltra,

Galapagos Islands

Sun, Nov 6, 2016

Return: Isla Baltra,

Galapagos Islands

Sun, Nov 13, 2016

Ship Name: Celebrity Xpedition

Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises

Stateroom: XP,

Premium Ocean View Stateroom

Details

Stateroom:

$20,998.00

Taxes & Fees:

$220.00

Total Cruise Price:

$21,218.00

GOOD GRIEF!! Don't want that one!!

Yes, that is what I mean about checking your prices carefully.

As hard as it is to believe, with the current "bucket list, price is no object" mania, I can see someone booking that just as you see it.

GOOD GRIEF!! Don't want that one!!

Sort by:PriceDeparture DateLength

7 Days Galapagos Cruises

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Xpedition

Galapagos/Baltra, Daphne Islands, Gardner Bay, Punta Suarez, Punta Cormorant, Post Office Bay, Punta Moreno, Urvina Bay, Punta Espinoza, Punta Vicente Roca, South Plaza, Cerro Dragon, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos/Baltra

2 departure dates: Nov 13, 27 2016

OceanView from $3539

Suite from $5794 EXCLUSIVE Free Prepaid Gratuities

7 Days Galapagos Cruises

Galapagos/Baltra, Daphne Islands, Puerto Egas, Rabida/Jervis Island, Elizabeth Bay, Tagus Cove, Sullivan Bay, Bartolome, Las Bachas, North Seymour Island, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Cerro Brujo, Leon Dormido/Kicker Rock, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos/Baltra

2 departure dates: Nov 6, 20 2016

OceanView from $3589

Suite from $5694

10 Days Galapagos Cruises

Land Tour, Galapagos/Baltra, Daphne Islands, Gardner Bay, Punta Suarez, Punta Cormorant, Post Office Bay, Punta Moreno, Urvina Bay, Punta Vicente Roca, Punta Espinoza, South Plaza, Cerro Dragon, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos/Baltra, Land Tour (B17)

2 departure dates: Nov 11, 25 2016

OceanView from $4714

Suite from $6969

Compare

10 Days Galapagos Cruises

Land Tour, Galapagos/Baltra, Daphne Islands, Puerto Egas, Rabida/Jervis Island, Elizabeth Bay, Tagus Cove, Sullivan Bay, Bartolome, Las Bachas, North Seymour Island, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Cerro Brujo, Leon Dormido/Kicker Rock, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos/Baltra, Land Tour (B18)

2 departure dates: Nov 4, 18 2016

OceanView from $4764

Suite from $6874

Compare

11 Days Galapagos Cruises

Land Tour, Galapagos/Baltra, Daphne Islands, Gardner Bay, Punta Suarez, Punta Cormorant, Post Office Bay, Punta Moreno, Urvina Bay, Punta Vicente Roca, Punta Espinoza, South Plaza, Cerro Dragon, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos/Baltra, Land Tour (B17)

OceanView from $4814

Suite from $7069

Compare

11 Days Galapagos Cruises

Land Tour, Galapagos/Baltra, Daphne Islands, Puerto Egas, Rabida/Jervis Island, Elizabeth Bay, Tagus Cove, Sullivan Bay, Bartolome, Las Bachas, North Seymour Island, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Cerro Brujo, Leon Dormido/Kicker Rock, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos/Baltra, Land Tour (B18)

OceanView from $4864

Suite from $6969

Compare

15 Days Galapagos Cruises

OceanView from $9909

Suite from $12164

Compare

15 Days Galapagos Cruises

OceanView from $9959

Suite from $12064

We have done this trip 10 years ago, and will be returning in a couple of months. I highly recommend the quito extension. It is very well organized, the hotel is lovely. Basically everything is included. As a repeater we will still have the quito package because there is so much to see. Yes, prices do change, it is well worth the money.

There are no gratuities, as this is all inclusive.

• 4 months later...

The 15 day rate includes the Quito pre-stay as well as the Machu-Pichu post cruise tour. This is why the rate is so high.

We have done this trip 10 years ago, and will be returning in a couple of months. I highly recommend the quito extension. It is very well organized, the hotel is lovely. Basically everything is included. As a repeater we will still have the quito package because there is so much to see. Yes, prices do change, it is well worth the money.

We did this trip in November 2012, and I second taking the Quito package. It really was VERY well-organized and made things so much easier, and the hotel is great. It is not a problem to skip things if you want (we did not go to either of the organized dinners in Quito, for instance) or you can enjoy them in full.

We did the Outer Loop trip in November 2014 and loved it! Booked after final payment and paid $2999 per person for OV GTY. We were assigned a Deck 4 cabin (an upgrade of sorts). The price made us plan the trip.

We did not to the extension preferring to save $1400 and do it on our own. I would do it again (with a couple of tweaks) but you need to be up for quite a few moving parts.

We also did Peru and MP after the cruise on our own and it was a FAR better experience for a much lower price than if we had gone with the Celebrity post-cruise add on. Only six people on our cruise chose to go with Celebrity. Another six (that we know of) went with Globus and we did our own thing through escapedtoperu/Condor travel

We did the Galapagos in October 2014 and then 9 days on our own-private drivers, guides, airplane and train tickets. Went to Macchu Picchu and Lake Titiacca. Stayed in super hotels and saw so much. Would be willing to share contacts and info if anyone is interested. Wonderful trip and spent less than half of what the add-on would have been.