New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

omah1975

If she doesn't have a walk around promenade deck this will be a big mistake. The walk a mile, or two is very popular as we try to burn off the calories. I for one, am not happy with the increased size and passenger numbers. 2,000 passengers is more than enough - 3,000 not for me. Unless the design is something very special I won't be sailing on her. I would imagine they'll go for another Queen name. The new Saga ship looks very, very interesting.

Am I correct in assuming the new ship will have no obstructing balcony staterooms?
The staterooms on Deck 4 of Nieuw Statendam are classified by HAL as partially obscured but the CG images of the ship show the bottom of the balconies about even with the tops of the lifeboats. This is accomplished by snaking the "promenade" behind the lifeboats with little space available for deck loungers that one would expect on a Cunard ship.

1337-f880997061f5f1172e477cbbf11a53aa.jpg

Happy that Cunard has enough business to justify expansion, but sorry the new ship has to be a Koningsdam knock off. We already know this design does not have a traditional promenade deck which is a Cunard attribute. The lifeboats sit on the deck with a narrow walkway behind them, and a few open patches. Unfortunate.

It makes sense though that the design is shared with another brand. The same is true of the two Cunard Vistas. Of course the interior will be tweaked to allign with the Cunard brand which is good. K-dam has very mixed reviews. That is for sure. Many HAL traditionalists are not happy with her.

On Facebook, the Cunard rep keeps commenting that it's just a possible look for the new ship and than actual plans will be released in time.

I really hope Cunard doesn't go with the tacky floating apartment block look. I love the liner style that even QE and QV sort of have at their bow.

If she doesn't have a walk around promenade deck this will be a big mistake. The walk a mile, or two is very popular as we try to burn off the calories. I for one, am not happy with the increased size and passenger numbers. 2,000 passengers is more than enough - 3,000 not for me. Unless the design is something very special I won't be sailing on her. I would imagine they'll go for another Queen name. The new Saga ship looks very, very interesting.

It will have a walk around promenade deck, but not what you’re used to on the existing Cunard ships. The lifeboats pretty much sit directly on the deck in this design (not above it), so most of the walkway is a narrow deck behind the lifeboats with no view. There are a few open areas that have ocean views but most of it is blocked by boats.

New designs like the Royal Princess, Solstice Class, K-Dam with HAL, and MSC Fantasia Class all feature this design. It’s all about revenue. It enables the cruise lines to have another deck of balcony cabins without being obstructed by lifeboats. The trade off is no traditional promenade deck. A revenue enhancement wins out every time.

Also keep in mind this ship is a cheap way for Carnival Corp to add a ship to the Cunard fleet. Just repurpose an existing design.

Looking at HAL's deckplan, one of the things that makes Nieuw Statendam (and the new Cunard concept) appear top heavy is that there's an additional deck above the midships Lido pool under the retractable roof. This deck has spa-level staterooms with direct access to the spa one deck down, and there's one more deck of forward verandah staterooms above that before topping out with the Crows Nest ("Commodore Club" in Cunard-speak) and open-air cabanas on Deck 11.

The layout of Nieuw Statendam's public decks on Deck 2 and 3 look similar to the corresponding decks on QV and QE so I imagine they could be adapted to be virtually the same, assuming they could lengthen the Queens Room and enlarge the size of HAL's atrium into something worthy of the name Grand Lobby.

Just announced on board this morning. On the positive note it appears that there is value in the Cunard brand. Perhaps there are enough of us who still want some civilization when we sail.

Hopefully they don’t dumb down the dress code and introduce flexible dining with the new ship. Cunard is all about tradition, formality, and a certain degree of structure. If they want to go the direction of casual dress and open dining, then why even have Cunard? Every other cruise line already has this. No different than HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc.

Sometimes I worry with a new ship will be “new” concepts.

Hopefully they don’t dumb down the dress code and introduce flexible dining with the new ship. Cunard is all about tradition, formality, and a certain degree of structure. If they want to go the direction of casual dress and open dining, then why even have Cunard? Every other cruise line already has this. No different than HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc.

Sometimes I worry with a new ship will be “new” concepts.

Agree about the dress code, but one big advantage (to me) of Cunard Grills is that it already provides flexible dining.

I can't help but feel that in hindsight naming Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth was perhaps not the best idea as it limits the naming of future ships. Neither Queen Anne nor the names of any other consorts have either any form of resonance with the general public in name alone, or convey any unique historical period or style. Given the marketing focus that was placed on the significance of QV and QE's names, I can't imagine Cunard's PR team having an easy task communicating the 'golden age of erm, ... the last monarch of the House of Stuart...?'!

Either Cunard are betting on Catherine being Queen consort by the time they are to announce the name, or will just gamble on a name like Anne. Alternatively, they could of course use a classic Cunard name like Caronia, but this would just stick out amongst the Queens. Cunard certainly couldn't rename QV and QE Mauretania or Aquitania (neither of which really have any resonance either outside of fan circles), although perhaps they could try and make some of their more awkward 'ia'-ending names fashionable - Cunard Ultonia or Abyssinia, anyone?

Perhaps name the ship Cunarder Queen Mary, and rename QM2 something entirely new in recognition of its unique build? Controversial I know!

Agree about the dress code, but one big advantage (to me) of Cunard Grills is that it already provides flexible dining.

Flexible dining for the masses is a bit different. Also in the grills you are still assigned to a table. This would not be the case if flexible dining was introduced in the main dining rooms.

I was quite surprised to read the first EMail this morning (still in bed).

Aesthetically, this will be the worst looking ship in the fleet, unfortunately. The frontal view is hideous, extremely top heavy. They should at least raise the bow by one deck, and cut off one deck at the top and prolong the others to make it bearable. I wonder what eye-disease current cruiseship-designers are suffering from.

I vote for Queen Alexandra, as we had one in the last century!

Good name, yes, the wife of Edward VII.

But then, Alexandra was a beautiful, slim woman. Something that cant be said about this slightly odd-looking new project if it being built like this rendering suggests.

Queen Charlotte would fit much better, wife of George III. She was wearing towering wigs, something that would go perfectly with the new ship.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Benjamin_West_-_Queen_Charlotte_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Afraid I must join up with those we question the sense of this design. Agree with all the comments re size, too any passengers, lack of promenade deck but also surprised no one has yet mentioned just how small the balconies are on this design of ship. Just look all the adverse comments on PandO and Princess boards about their ships of this design.

Can't see us ever sailing on this new ship. Just cannot share Cunard's excitement over this announcement.