New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

omah1975

Perhaps. Although being the customer, the passenger, the people who paying for all this in the end, I am not sure if our wishes, preferences, born of habit or just general cluelessness, is "intransigence" or just wanting what WE want out of a holiday at sea.
"Intransigence" refers to wanting but not wanting to make the selection necessary to get what you want. There are still ships with a traditional promenade, yet there are those who value that but don't want that value monetized in the form of a premium to sail, for example, on the QM2.

Any company that views its customers preferences as an annoyance or inconvenience isn't likely to have many in the end now is it?
I'm not a company; I'm an impartial observer of the marketplace, critical of each side of each transaction in direct proportion to how much they behave irrationally. Generally, cruise lines don't behave irrationally. They're focused on the bottom-line, for them, profit. Meanwhile, we passengers aren't quite so consistent. We have a very loose relationship with rationality as it pertains to acknowledging and respecting the trade-off that invariably will always exist between the two aspects of our bottom-line, price and value.

"Consistent"? Well I am not sure one can apply that to Cunard any more than its customers. Other than maintaining a trans-Atlantic service since 1840. My first Cunard crossing was 40 years ago in RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 when Cunard was still all about setting tradition on its ears with a revolutionary "Ships Have Been Boring Long Enough" vessel that QE2 represented.

Today, Cunard trades almost entirely on its past and tradition. Something Holland America Line has decided it can ditch as it re-defines itself as... well something. HAL is like the 55 year old experiencing late middle life identity crisis and best experienced away from others especially past customers. Leaving Cunard as the last self anointed exemplar of traditional cruising. So yes, those wood steamer chairs and traditional boat deck mean a lot... to the company and to its customers. Until, as you suggest, the company decides they don't. Which makes Cunard tradition a transient marketing tool and anything but consistent in terms of a product. HAL and Cunard sharing the same "platform" vessel today is like the 55 year old sharing the same girl friend with the 30 year old. And a happy ending seems... doubtful.

Edited by kohl57

All we can do is wait and see. I saw Aida Cruises newly built ships with kind of a prommenade deck ABOVE the Boats- with nice sitting area´s. That would compensate a little, if they really are going to get rid of the prommenade deck. I also thought first that the SOLAS regulations caused those ships to be built without a propper prommenade deck, that is NOT so! Anyway for the time beeing we stil can choose from three " Propper Queen" .

i love your work do you have it listed anywhere else? also ever been to shipbucket LOL :)

I’m glad you like it. I sketch in my free time! I’m now working on a Royal class Cunarder because I saw some people on this thread wanted to see a Royal class ship as a Cunarder!

Guest SilverHengroen
I’m glad you like it. I sketch in my free time! I’m now working on a Royal class Cunarder because I saw some people on this thread wanted to see a Royal class ship as a Cunarder!

I’m looking forward to seeing that, will you use the twin-stack design that P&Os Britannia has? It would be interesting to see a cunarder with a pair of more traditional style stacks rather than the single QE2 style one! :)

I’m looking forward to seeing that, will you use the twin-stack design that P&Os Britannia has? It would be interesting to see a cunarder with a pair of more traditional style stacks rather than the single QE2 style one! :)

I will definetly use twin stacks but still figuring out their shape because QE2 onward style stacks don’t really go with Royal class design, especially if there are two of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will definetly use twin stacks but still figuring out their shape because QE2 onward style stacks don’t really go with Royal class design, especially if there are two of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think another fun design would be Cunard non-queen ship modeled after the Viking Star class :) you should really check out shipbucket.com

Guest SilverHengroen
abb898cfeb6643c57589a88cf252a2fd.jpg My version of a Royal class cunarder!

I like that quite a lot! Looks pretty balanced as cruise ships go, like QV and QE - and there’d be a lot of space to try out new things!

One thing I might suggest different would be painting behind the boats black so the hull looks a bit more substantial, but other than that it looks pretty good!

Looks great! I had a go myself at creating a Royal class Cunarder - which I've named Cunard Queen Consort. It's interesting really how unusual a two stacked ship looks in Cunard's colours, as really they haven't had one in service since before QE2 entered service. Part of Cunard's 'look' now centres on the iconic single red funnel, and two looks a bit out of place.

Cunard%20Queen%20Consort_1.png

(Credit goes to Theo23 and Cunardfan on Shipbucket for their drawings of Britannia and Queen Elizabeth)

What about Boadicea.The original braveheart.

That was her latinised name. As queen of the British Celtic Iceni tribe her real name was Boudicca or Boudica.

Don't think Cunard would want to replicate the name of a ship owned by Fred Olsen!

:confused:

That was her latinised name. As queen of the British Celtic Iceni tribe her real name was Boudicca or Boudica.

Don't think Cunard would want to replicate the name of a ship owned by Fred Olsen!

:confused:

Yeah,someone pointed out my mistake shortly after I posted.Just a spur of the moment thought without research.

SOLAS regulations have changed since the current QE was built, with lots more safety features, and I believe that there have to be 2 engine rooms, hence many new cruise ships with 2 funnels.

The number of funnels has rarely been directly related to the number of engine rooms, certainly for the last 100 years or so. The two 'funnel' arrangement of P&O's Britannia is purely cosmetic, the Princess ships have an array of exhaust stacks which can be contained within a single large bulge, or one or more funnels, at the designer's whim.

Guest SilverHengroen

Going a little off topic here, but if you’re ever pondering over a new drawing project would you consider doing one of Cunard’s cancelled ‘project Q3’? There’s a few images online but none of them are in any great level of detail so I would love to see your crisper interpretation of the ship that never was! This link has an image of the builders model:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10772086.Model_reveals_how_QE2_might_have_been/

Back on topic, doing the maths it’s going to be very difficult for them to get a lower berth capacity of 3,000 - especially considering a higher %age of suite passengers; Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam only have 2,650 despite having relatively fewer large suites on board - anyone hazard a guess that 3,000 would be total capacity (in this case the numbers would be similar to QM2, though on a smaller ship - it would still give a similar tonnage-passenger ratio to Queen Elizabeth however: 42.6 vs 43.8 on QE)

Going a little off topic here, but if you’re ever pondering over a new drawing project would you consider doing one of Cunard’s cancelled ‘project Q3’? There’s a few images online but none of them are in any great level of detail so I would love to see your crisper interpretation of the ship that never was! This link has an image of the builders model:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10772086.Model_reveals_how_QE2_might_have_been/

Back on topic, doing the maths it’s going to be very difficult for them to get a lower berth capacity of 3,000 - especially considering a higher %age of suite passengers; Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam only have 2,650 despite having relatively fewer large suites on board - anyone hazard a guess that 3,000 would be total capacity (in this case the numbers would be similar to QM2, though on a smaller ship - it would still give a similar tonnage-passenger ratio to Queen Elizabeth however: 42.6 vs 43.8 on QE)

According to Wikipedia the MS Koningdam the Holland America Cruise Ship that is a Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship that the new Cunard Ship will also be a Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship, is 975 feet long in overall length and 114 feet wide. Wikipedia states that the MS Koningsdam passenger capacity is 2,650. So it is my guess that the new Cunard Pinnacle Cruise Ship will be stretched out another 30 or 40 feet longer than the MS Koningdam to about around to an overall length of 1,005 or 1,015 feet so that an additional 350 passengers can travel aboard the ship. Remember that the Cunard Vista Queens Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth were stretched out from the original Holland America Vista Ships. The original Holland America Vista Ships are 935 feet long in overall length. The Cunard Vista Queens are 964.50 feet long in overall length. Regards,Jerry

The number of funnels has rarely been directly related to the number of engine rooms, certainly for the last 100 years or so. ... .
Hi kentchris,

Until the arrival of diesel engines, "Engine Rooms" didn't need funnels*.

Before the arrival of diesel engines, Boiler Rooms had funnels.

(*Of course many ships (except Cunard ordered ones) had dummy funnels at one time, sometimes connected to nothing... sometimes operating as an air vent for the hot engine rooms. Even the great Normandie's faux third funnel was only there for "looks" (unlike the "real" third funnel on Queen Mary))

Edited by pepperrn

The biggest change from the QE2 era is that ships are no longer considered, or designed for, transportation. They are resort hotels with lots of amenities that happen to float. Not saying that is bad just that no one books a ship to get from A to B any more. Just for relaxation and entertainment. If it sells, they will build it. And bigger is always better?:cool:

Guest SilverHengroen
The biggest change from the QE2 era is that ships are no longer considered, or designed for, transportation. They are resort hotels with lots of amenities that happen to float. Not saying that is bad just that no one books a ship to get from A to B any more. Just for relaxation and entertainment. If it sells, they will build it. And bigger is always better?:cool:

I’d say that’s the biggest change of the QE2 era; she’s a ship that would never have been built if cruising hadn’t been emerging as a new market, the writing was very much on the wall for oceanic travel by 1965... the fact she was built with some retained transatlantic pedigree was almost incidental really, mainly because liner and cruise ship designs hadn’t really had a chance to diverge by that point.

Yes, in the early days QE2 regularly carried passengers moving to Europe or vice versa along with those that did not like to fly. Allowances for household goods were in tons I think. I might be wrong but QE2 could be the last passenger ship built with garage space for vehicles. I regularly saw high end vehicles being loaded aboard for the transatlantic. Remember the famous scene in Titanic with Jack & Rose having fun in the beautiful car in the hold? Now, of course, people fly cheap and call Hertz or Avis when in Europe. I wonder if that garage space still exists on QE2 or if, over the years, it was converted into crew space or some other use.

Yes, in the early days QE2 regularly carried passengers moving to Europe or vice versa along with those that did not like to fly. Allowances for household goods were in tons I think. I might be wrong but QE2 could be the last passenger ship built with garage space for vehicles. I regularly saw high end vehicles being loaded aboard for the transatlantic. Remember the famous scene in Titanic with Jack & Rose having fun in the beautiful car in the hold? Now, of course, people fly cheap and call Hertz or Avis when in Europe. I wonder if that garage space still exists on QE2 or if, over the years, it was converted into crew space or some other use.

The elevator used for cars was still there last time I was onboard her in 2008. Never got into the crew spaces so have no idea about the garage.