Hi from Pacific Sun

maf101

vI've been waiting a long time to write hi from Pacific Sun!!!

I finally found the Internet cafe and purchased some internet. Sadly I can't access it from the cabin but I didn't expect I would.

We arrived at the airport at 11.30 and took the P&O bus to the terminal. It was $10 for anyone who is interested and we arrived at the terminal at 1pm. Because my mother was in her wheelchair, we boarded without lining up in the long queue.

The cabin is larger than the Sky which is a good thing. I went the to welcome aboard show. The Pacific Sun entertainers are brilliant.

I was freaked out at how close the ship came to the bridge. It was very close. It thought it would hit.

I love the food.

One of the tours was cancelled. The plane sightseeing one. I can't remember what is was called. There is problem with the plane.

The cruise is full. There's people of all ages onboard. Everyone seems friendly. Demo (is that his name) seems like he's going to be fun. The ship is huge. I've only just started exploring today. I managed to find the webcam deck about half an hour ago.

There is one thing I'll mention for those sailing soon. If you really like your own pillow then I think you should take it with you. The pillows are flat. I should get use to it soon.

I'm sorry about talking about stuff all over the place. I'm trying to type this as fast as I can.

I wish all you guys were onboard.

Oh something else. So far I haven't had one receipt which says how much money I have left on my cruise card. I'm paying by cash.

I'll talk later. This 30 minute internet card is not going to last very long.

Michelle.

Michelle. Many thanks for your post. Sounds like you all are having a great time even thought it is less than 24hrs since you left. If the first 24hrs has been good I guees the rest of the cruise will be fantastic. Go and enjoy. Look forward to what ever time and money you can spare to speak to us. Suexxx:)

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the update. Yes it is Demo but I can't believe he is still cruising. He and Shona both said that they would not be cruising after they got married earlier in the year and that they would be getting land based jobs. I wonder why that changed? Oh well enough of me being a busy body!!

Have you put your first lot of cash onto your card yet? I don't think the balance shows up until you start spending you own money (i.e. no longer using the $300 "loan"). But then again I could be wrong and they could have changed to the Star system! Did they ask as you boarded for your credit card (or if you planned to pay cash)? This would probably indicate if they are on the Star system. Also do they have a separate kids dinner?

I hope you will have a great trip and can't wait to hear more. At least they haven't changed the internet over to the Star system where you use your cruise card and can rack up a fairly hefty bill quickly. At least with the 1 hour card system it stops and makes you decide to keep spending!!

Cheers,

Charmain:)

....Have you put your first lot of cash onto your card yet? I don't think the balance shows up until you start spending you own money (i.e. no longer using the $300 "loan").

Cheers,

Charmain:)

I just went & checked our receipts (yes....for some strange reason I still have them ...sad, I know). Anyway, I found the very first one which of course was before we put any money on the card and it did have a balance on it so it sounds as though they have changed the system. Or maybe maf had too many cocktails & couldn't see it:p

Karen

I put cash on my card when I first boarded. They did ask for the credit card before boarding but I prefer not to use it. I asked the shops about the balance not showing up and they said they changed to a new much better system whilst the ship was in dry-dock.

I just purchased another Internet card. I only had 4 minutes left and it takes about that long to load a webpage. The internet is painfully slow, especially on this site! There is 2 types of internet cards. There is a wireless internet card and an ordinary internet card. I purchased the wrong one and had to have it changed.

There are kids at dinner. We're 1st sitting in the Bordeaux Restaurant. Our waiter is Beebep. He's cool. I loved the waiter we had at lunch. I don't know his name. He was funny. He insisted there could be sea food in the chicken if the chicken once ate fish. It was a sea food menu and we don't like sea food. He was tormenting us about it.

I don't think there is a separate kids dinner. There is no mention of one in the Sun daily. The children seem to be served food faster than the adults.

I haven't had too many cocktails! Not yet anyways! I just got back from wine tasting. I think the ship is swaying more now!!!

There are four guest entertainers. One of has sailed on the ship in the past. There is Jackie Love, Patrick Brady and Con Shawnery. I think the last one is Rod Stewart or something like that.

We had a formal night last night. The pictures are lovely. We bought some. They are $24.95 each. There was 5 different backgrounds. Someone who sailed last August said they were the same backdrops as their previous cruise. There isn't any deal on them except you can purchase a frame for $10 extra. The boarding photo was $19.95. They come with different boarders around them. I don't think the photo was worth $20. We also had photos taken at dinner but they haven't put those up yet.

I had breakfast in the restaurant today. I enjoyed more than the buffet. I'm enjoying myself. I'm taking it easy and relaxing with too much wine!

I had problems with my digital camera. I think it was because I formatted the memory card with the computer and not the camera. I lost a couple of photo's but I think it is working now.

I'll keep posting if people want me to.

C'ya all for now,

Michelle.

Hi maf101, great to have your contribution 'live' from the ship. I think the photos are a bit pricey and I only bought 3 but they seem to take photos of just about everything they can think of. Heaps to choose from but I was hoping they might offer a discount if you buy all of them at the end of the cruise but they never. I think they must have thousands of photos that people don't buy and I heard they store them somewhere for so long but what a waste, you think they would rather get something for them at least.

Michelle,

I am jealous as anything. You are obviously having a good time and I wish we were all onboard too.

I am still trying to organise a cruise in March because next November is SOOOO far away.

Make sure you go snorkelling. It is totally unbelievable, we loved it. We didn't bother with the flippers, just used our reef shoes. That is the one thing we are seriously looking forward to when we go back.

Happy days

Jenny

>^..^<

I.... I asked the shops about the balance not showing up and they said they changed to a new much better system whilst the ship was in dry-dock.

Michelle.

Really makes you wonder how these people think. Passengers (at least form what I read on here....and certainly my opinion)seem to think that the system they had on the Sun was the best. You always knew what you had spent. How can they possibly think that a system that gives you no info is better than a system that gives you all the info you need?:confused: Obviously they are hoping people will spend more by not realising how much they have spent.

Karen

I put cash on my card when I first boarded. They did ask for the credit card before boarding but I prefer not to use it. I asked the shops about the balance not showing up and they said they changed to a new much better system whilst the ship was in dry-dock.

Ahhh, if they asked for a credit card before boarding, during the checkin process, it means they've changed to the same credit folio system that they have on Pacific Star, which has it's good points and bad points. No more queing at the Purser's desk to cash up the cruise cards after embarkation, but not ready idea of how much you are spending.

For the ship it would be a better system - as it reduces the workload of the Purser's desk having to deal with people coming and putting more cash on their cards, or cashing out their cards at the end of the cruise.

I'm suprised that they didn't install the internet system on Sun that they have on Star, where you don't have to by a pre-paid card, where you just swipe your cruise card at the start of the session, and when you log off when you've finished, the charge gets put on your card.

Kym

I don't mean to make people feel jealous.

Yesterday we visisted Noumea. This is the first time I have watched the ship sail into Noumea during the day. I thought it was fabulous. I watched it mostly from the web deck.

I went on 2 tours. The first one was Kayaking. The location couldn't be prettier. It was picture perfect. My sister and I was in a small group of about 10 to 12. The water was very shallow in places because of the low tide. I had problems with the rocks and the rapids. The underwater camera case worked well. We took some pictures. We couldn't keep up with the group. The tour guide left the slow people behind. My sister had to save me from the rapids. It was a bit terrifying for me. Thank god she was my own personal life guard. I can't emphasize how cool the experience was!!

The second tour was the wine & cheese sight seeing tour. I see why people call the city dirty. I don't like all the cement buildings. A lot of places seem to be closing. The hotel we was suppose to wine taste at was also closed. We didn't get to drink wine by the pool. Oh well. This tour wasn't that great. My mother sprained both her ankles getting on the bus. We had to get a taxi back to the ship at the end of the tour because she couldn't walk.

Last night the show was Rod Stewart. It was a bit of a comedy act and singing. I didn't know too many of the songs but it was entertaining. On Friday night we watched the most awesome eye inspiring show. It was called 'the piano man'. I can't wait until tonight when we get to see the Pacific Sun entertainers perform again. They have such amazing talent and coordination. Their shows are breathtaking. I love them!!!!

Today is a sea day. I'm gong to relax and try and get over my sun burn. Tomorrow is Dravuni Island. I might snorkel if my sun burn heals a bit and if I don't have girly time of the month issues. I'm not sure if I should use my flippers or snorkel boots. I might take both ashore..

The time went forward another hour last night. We are now 2 hours ahead of AEST. The ship is swaying a bit today. The pools are closed. We are going through the Hebrides trench. The Sun daily mentions the ship has stabilizers. I wonder if we'll need them.

I think you can buy more Internet online once you've purchased your first card and created an account.

We are at Dravuni Island. We arrived around 9am.

The tenders are terrible. We got our tickets after breakfast and we didn't get on to the Island until 1pm. They used four tenders which can transport 120 people per tender.

That aside, the Island is beautiful. I went snorkelling for the first time. I'm glad you guys talked me into it. There was a few different types of fish. It is like a different world down there. I was very fascinated. I tried using reef shoes but I prefer the flippers. I can't swim but I found it didn't matter because I was able to breathe though the snorkel.

I'm looking forward to the next Island port. We are in Suva tomorrow.

We have the clothes washing special today. 20 items for $25.

We had that problem at Yasawa. One thing you can do (which they tell you don't). If you are nearly ready and you know there are delays go and get your tender tickets a bit earlier. We got ours then had some breakfast. Still had ages to spare. Would have run downstairs if ours had been called while we were eating though.

We had that problem at Yasawa. One thing you can do (which they tell you don't). If you are nearly ready and you know there are delays go and get your tender tickets a bit earlier. We got ours then had some breakfast. Still had ages to spare. Would have run downstairs if ours had been called while we were eating though.

We had the same problem at Yasawa in March - we arrived at 8am and we didn't get ashore until after lunch - same problem, tide was out and tenders couldn't go across full, they were only taking about 30 at time at one point, in tenders that can take 120, and we had to disembark the tender through a tender that was beached at the pontoon.

Kym

I take it this is a problem with certain islands? We didn't have any tender problems whatsoever on our cruise. Next time though, we go to Yasawa.

Karen

I really depends on what sort of facilities they have. The pontoon facilities at Yasawa are pretty basic, and they are in fairly shallow water - so if the tide's out or low it can be a bit tricky.

Bulla! We're in Suva. There is not much to report. The place is as bad as you told me it would be. We avoided the Taxi's and tried to ignore the locals as much as we could. I felt bad not talking to them but everyone we did talk to did have some amazing offer.

It is a hard place to walk around with a wheel chair. The curbs are high. There are people honking there horns and yelling at each other all the time. You hear the occasional siren. We saw a few police officers and petrol cars around. I wonder if there was an increased police presence because the ship is in port.

The weather didn't help. It poured down. We found a shop named Jacks to buy tourist items from. We spent a while in that shop and then headed back to the ship. The level 3 walkway was closed because the tide was low. The level 5 stairs are too steep for my mother to climb. Some guys offered to lift my mother up the steps but some crewmembers said they had a machine they could use to get her up. They used a special electronic wheelchair climber. It was interesting. I've never seen such a device before.

I don't like Suva. I can see now why people recommend either doing a tour or staying on the ship.

Tonight is Rock 'n' Roll night! There is a show on tonight. I can't remember what's it called. It's something Brady. Last night was movie night. The movie was Mission Impossible 3. They also had a retro party out on deck. I think it was for older people who could appreciate the music.

As I write this some old music I recognise is playing out of the showroom. I can hear it in the library. I use to love this song when I was a kid. My mother use to play it. Does anyone recognise it?? He rocks in the treetop all day long hoppin' and a-boppin' and a-singin' his song all the little birds on jaybird street love to hear the robin go tweet tweet.....

Tomorrow we are in Yasawa. Did you have to step into the water to get off the Pontoon?

WE have been to Yasawa several times. Of all the isalnds this is my DH favourite. It is my 2nd favourite with Champagne Bay first. We have never really had a big problem with tenders but as stated previously you can sneak your number earlier as it is usually a good half hour wait when there aren't many people ready to go ashore. have a great day there. The water is absolutely beautiful.

Agree Suva is dirty not like it used to be there when I first went by ship about 25 years ago

narelle

Maf, "Rockin Robin" is the song. Love it. Sounds like it could be fun on board. Glad to hear your having a great time. I was in Suva 30 years ago on a cruise. If there still a huge market place not far from where the ship berths? (It was dirty then and you had druggies hanging out of the pub doors offering all sorts of things, ahh). Enjoy Yasawa. (havent been there yet)

Kerri

Hi Kerri. There is a market place close to the dock. We didn't bother looking around it. We was eager to get back onboard.

Hi Narelle. I went to Suva about 19 years ago when I was 9. My mother loved it and she has spoken highly of it until today. It's ashame though. If they cleaned up the place and if the people were friendlier then it could be a more plesent place to visit.

I can't get Rockin Robin out of my head. It was played over and over. I guess there was a dance lesson or something going on.

I watched the Irish guy perform (tonights show). I still can't remember his first name. It was amusing. I enjoyed it and my M&Ms cocktail!!! I tried the BBC cocktail for the first time today. I didn't like that one. What do you guys recommend? What is the best cocktail?

I found the kiddie arcade. I'll have to play a decider match of air hockey tomorrow. The video game machines are also real fun. I played on the buggy. It is a must for all adults!!!! Forget your age. Just play. We'll have to tell the kids they need to be 18+ to play kid games! :)

Archived