SailorJill and I Sail on the Orient Express a.k.a. Millenium's Immersion Cruise

SailorJack

The last of my building photos - I was just amazed at how many buildings were here! Atlanta has a few, but nothing compared to Hong Kong. These photos were taken on the way to the Funicular that takes us up to Victoria Peak.

37573405634_cf9d1fba17_o.jpg

26508708429_103c0a7a0e_k.jpg

38284175841_819e7135b3_k.jpg

37573409644_e8b2e37ecd_o.jpg

We are about to ride the tram up to Victoria Peak. The crowds waiting to board are tremendous - both tourists and local people going to work.

37573403564_97e53e7b22_o.jpg

Apparently there is a theft problem as there are numerous signs warning about it - including the illuminated sign on the upper left warning us to keep an eye on our property.

38284174771_171ba1cc42_o.jpg

There are two cars on the tram and ride to the top took about 10 minutes, including stops to let people off. But the views from the top of Victoria Peak should be amazing.

37573401964_ba49079be9_o.jpg

Looks like a terrific experience! Your pics are great - we can enjoy that area of the world vicariously!

It really was a great experience and a great itinerary. Our CD told us that this was the longest SE Asian cruise itinerary that the cruise line has had. The one for next year will not visit as many ports - so we sort of lucked out.:D

Jack

As we got off the tram at the top of the hill we were greeted by (what else) a shopping center!:D

37573382554_c67db8326a_o.jpg

It was called the Peak Galleria and the door to the left led into a Starbucks. A nice stop for what was a slightly chilly temperature on top of the mountain.

37573384404_ff312f3ed5_o.jpg

However, the Gelato shop was a little slow on business.

38505396776_f40ef0473c_o.jpg

As we got off the tram at the top of the hill we were greeted by (what else) a shopping center!:D

37573382554_c67db8326a_o.jpg

It was called the Peak Galleria and the door to the left led into a Starbucks. A nice stop for what was a slightly chilly temperature on top of the mountain.

37573384404_ff312f3ed5_o.jpg

However, the Gelato shop was a little slow on business.

38505396776_f40ef0473c_o.jpg

The buildings are very different - no cookie cutter designs -and it looks like the ones on the top of the hill also have interesting architectural details. Enjoying the photos.

The buildings are very different - no cookie cutter designs -and it looks like the ones on the top of the hill also have interesting architectural details. Enjoying the photos.

Funny you should mention cookie cutter - we saw building that we described as just that!:D One wonders just how many buildings can be erected in Hong Kong and how they can be so creative in keeping them from looking all the same. Glad you are enjoying the photos.

Jack

Inside the mall - on this trip I have really been impressed with the sense of style and use of flowers in all the Asian countries we have visited on this trip. Here are examples of the whimsical decorations inside the mall.

37573377284_2e935461ce_o.jpg

26508668649_df4e4a6405_o.jpg

38548781242_bd511a4326_o.jpg

A look out the backside of the mall. I had thought Hong Kong was pretty well built up, but look at all the open space still available!

26804766079_87ea18ab1d_o.jpg

Love your posts. The building with "holes" in them are built for feng shui. This way the good energy is not blocked by the building.

My husband is from Hong Kong and I've been there 8x in the last 23 years. We are on this same cruise but in reverse (HK to Singapore) in January. Can't wait.

Love your posts. The building with "holes" in them are built for feng shui. This way the good energy is not blocked by the building.

My husband is from Hong Kong and I've been there 8x in the last 23 years. We are on this same cruise but in reverse (HK to Singapore) in January. Can't wait.

I would have never thought of that! Thanks for the info. Enjoy your cruise...you must be excited as it is just two months away - I envy your trip.

Jack

I never would have thought of that. Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing a building in Paris that had a "hole" in it. I wonder if it is the dame thing?

I never would have thought of that. Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing a building in Paris that had a "hole" in it. I wonder if it is the dame thing?

You may be thinking of La Defense. I remember visiting it when I was in France.

Is this it?

La_Grande_Arche_de_la_D%C3%A9fense.jpg

Hong Kong from atop Victoria Peak. It was a little foggy that morning, so some of the shots are a little shrouded.

26508658169_ca2c46b46a_o.jpg

Actually these foggy photos are really great....the mist adds a sort of mystical quality. Great shots!

I took a second look and can see where the photos could be seen from your perspective. Interesting. Thanks for your comment.

Jack

We were actually up on Victoria Peak a few years ago, on a China trip that ended in Hong Kong. It was a misty day just like you had, and when we got home I spent hours trying to minimize the mist as much as possible using photo editing software. But, looking at the results, and comparing with the original photos, I realized that the mist is an integral part of the fascinating scene. So I started again from scratch and just did some minor editing, and love the results. I think your shots are just great!

Sam

We were actually up on Victoria Peak a few years ago, on a China trip that ended in Hong Kong. It was a misty day just like you had, and when we got home I spent hours trying to minimize the mist as much as possible using photo editing software. But, looking at the results, and comparing with the original photos, I realized that the mist is an integral part of the fascinating scene. So I started again from scratch and just did some minor editing, and love the results. I think your shots are just great!

Sam

I did the same thing...used software to try and cut through the mist but the results were poor at best. Thanks for your comments I am editing my last batch of photos and should have them up soon.

Jack

Hong Kong from atop Victoria Peak. It was a little foggy that morning, so some of the shots are a little shrouded.

24413386288_8073555265_o.jpg

26508661609_a361f6b69f_o.jpg

26508658169_ca2c46b46a_o.jpg

But you seem to have had pretty good weather on the cruise so a little fog isn't all that bad. And, as others have said, the pictures still look great!

While we took the tram up to the peak, our tour bus drove up to meet us. Our next stop was a small fishing village.

Here we are coming down the mountain and getting our first look at what turned out to be a very well to do village.

37573368184_eab2238fe5_o.jpg

37573363924_8b16eab900_o.jpg

The harbor was surrounded by condos up on the hills.

38284129581_d3729ce670_o.jpg