Handicap Cabin

ktb2002

Is it standard procedure to have to go through guest services for a HC room, or is it possible that all accesible cabins are booked? We have a cruise booked, but when starting process we were looking for a HC balcony. We were told there were none, now we are looking into an inside HC room and when we called we were told guest services was closed. I have just seen on here numerous times about people booking 4js and accesible rooms, so i was wondering if rooms are already booked or if Carnival is cracking down on these cabins. My husband has brain cancer, and it is looking very likely he will be in a wheelchair when we cruise.

Is it standard procedure to have to go through guest services for a HC room, or is it possible that all accesible cabins are booked? We have a cruise booked, but when starting process we were looking for a HC balcony. We were told there were none, now we are looking into an inside HC room and when we called we were told guest services was closed. I have just seen on here numerous times about people booking 4js and accesible rooms, so i was wondering if rooms are already booked or if Carnival is cracking down on these cabins. My husband has brain cancer, and it is looking very likely he will be in a wheelchair when we cruise.

I don't know how they work it but if you call and try to book a handicapped accessible cabin and they say there are none available , escalate to a supervisor.

There are people booked in some of the handicapped cabins most of the time that dont need them but book them for the bigger balconies, etc.

Sometimes people book them unknowingly.

CCL is supposed to move those pax if somebody needs the cabin.

My sons FIL needed one and they said there were none available when I booked them. The MIL called the next day and went up the ladder and got one.

Bill

I'm having a similar problem. I get to work on it again Monday.... sigh. My niece has cerebral palsy but there are balcony accessible rooms that gulf 3 people.... really? I guess her parents have to stay in different cabins.... ugggh.

I would feel no qualms contacting guest services or whomever you need to talk to to get someone bumped who doesnt need it. I see it on here all the time, a lot of people even suggesting others to book HC cabins and hope to get bumped so they might get a upgrade if they lose the cabin.

We booked a "4J", was told if a H/C person needed it, we would be bumped. Not a problem for us, as we would be moved to a 6b cabin. There are some cabins that cannot be booked unless one person "is" H/c. Do what you have to do !

Guests services is the department that handles the paperwork that the Handicapped person submitts for the room and any equipment that may be added to the room. They are also suppose to keep the rooms for habndicapped people only but we know that doesn't always happen:mad: There should be forms on the way if you are booked in a handicapped room.

Guests services is the department that handles the paperwork that the Handicapped person submitts for the room and any equipment that may be added to the room. They are also suppose to keep the rooms for habndicapped people only but we know that doesn't always happen:mad: There should be forms on the way if you are booked in a handicapped room.

Unfortunately you see it above .. someone who booked it on purpose and hopes to get a better cabin out of it.

It doesnt work the way you hope. Anyone can book a HC cabin and unless the HC person pushes.. most of them get to keep them and deprive HC folks of them who dont know they need to call and push until someone moves someone else out of them.

Thanks everyone. Guest services is supposed to call us tomorrow, i was just curious during the wait. We have a PVP and I just found it odd that there are always people on here who say they book it and dont need it, yet we need it and must talk to guest services lol. My main question was wondering if thats a sign that all the HC cabins are gone?

I think most wheelchairs fold, the one my late husband had, did, so I could put it in the car. If he can stand for a moment, just fold up the wheelchair and put it inside the room, then he could get in it again.

The table in the room can be moved also, to give him more room.

Bless you for being such a good spouse. Hopefully, he won't need the wheelchair, but it is good

to be prepared.

Melanie

I WISH everyone who is'nt handicapped,Would Stop booking these cabins,IT USED TO BE-people would not even consider booking one of these cabins,unless they were seriously handicapped, just sad;):p

one other thing, the handicapped balconies don't usually have a sofa if that's important to you. it is to me. they only have a small padded chair and a small round table, not even a coffee table like the other cabins. a few 4j's have sofas, i try for those or the handicapped suite (there is only one of these).

Not everyone books them hoping to get bumped to a better room. I wanted a 4J for my son and his friends for a graduation cruise recently. The ONLY 4J that slept 4 was HC. We booked months in advance and paid a premium. I think that's fair. I selected the class I wanted and paid the asking price. We noted that they not be moved because we wanted a 4J. I wasn't aware until later looking at the deck plan that it was handicap, called and found out it was the only 4J that could take 4.

While yes this may technically have taken the room away from someone in a chair they had the opportunity to book the room the same that we did. I wish that Carnival would make more of the 4Js non handicap so we would not have this decision to make within our family. We enjoy the 4Js so that's what we book. We have NEVER had to book a HC until the past cruise and that was because of the 4 people. I don't feel bad in this situation because we booked so far in advance, it was the only room in that category that would work and Carnival allowed us to do so.

That said I would certainly call Special Needs and make it known that you need an accessible room. They should be able to help you.

In the event that all the rooms really ARE taken perhaps consider what another poster said that maybe he will be able to take a step to cross the thershold and move a portable wheelchair into the room. It might not be perfect but it might still allow you to cruise. It's only a suggestion and only you know if this would work for your family.

I have cancer and treatment is difficult so I wish your husband and your family all the best! Best Wishes.

Just my 2 cents. We have balconies for our next cruise. Another family member wanted a inside but across from us. They were told by our pvp that they could book but not advisable. If a HC person needed a cabin our family members NOT the HC person would be given a cabin of equal class and it could be anywhere. Our family member decided to stay on our deck but further away. This being said the HC person has first choice. Unless all HC cabins are already booked

I hope this helps

Kevin

you now book handicapped cabins through special need dept. they all show not available but special needs has them. right before the ship sails they release unsold cabins to the public.

smiles, bee

I was just on CCL website 2 minutes ago and on my sailing in September you can book cabin 9203 which is for handicapped pax.

I got the following message.

Advisory

1188: You have confirmed a modified cabin. Please note that you may be moved to a category of equal value, so that we may accommodate our wheelchair guests

Bill

Thank you everyone. We will just have to wait and see. As I said I was just curious since guest services is closed until tomorrow. We really do not know how well he will be able to walk, as his cancer is terminal and he will get worse over time.

you now book handicapped cabins through special need dept. they all show not available but special needs has them. right before the ship sails they release unsold cabins to the public.

smiles, bee

This is not true. You can book a room right off the carnival site that is handicapped. I have complained about this plenty sending emails to Carnival and even John Heald. I wish they would do it that way

Ask about 6107 & 6108. These appear to be the only HC Balconies on the Destiny, They are at the front of the ship and look to have larger balconies.. That alone would cause someone not handicap to want one. Ask them directly to verify the current passengers need.

Here is the carnival link that shows all the Handicap rooms in Blue,,. Have this open on your pc so you can see the cabin the Rep is talking about and also so you can ask about specific cabin numbers

Thoughts and Prayers to your family, I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise and make some wonderful happy memories :)

We booked a "4J", was told if a H/C person needed it, we would be bumped. Not a problem for us, as we would be moved to a 6b cabin. There are some cabins that cannot be booked unless one person "is" H/c. Do what you have to do !

Just a note. Only a few of the 4J's are HC.

Exactly WellDone! We love them. On our last cruise it just happened that the ONLY 4J that could hold 4 was HC. They said it was rarely used as HC, almost always as a quad.

Not to hijack but PJTulsa has given EXCELLENT advice and I hope Carnival is able to assist you with your vacation. My thoughts to your family and your husband.

To the OP keep working the phones with the cruies line hopefully they will be able to assist you.

It's really not unusual to find all HC cabins are already booked. Speaking as a person that also needs a HC cabin, in general , most who need a HC cabin book a year in advance. Reason there are so few HC cabins on each ship. It's very hard to get an HC cabin the closer to sailing and you'll almost never get one if booking last minute. Once the final payment period has past the cruise lines release all unsold cabins including HC cabins. At that point the HC cabins are sold first come basis regardless of need and often the cruise line will assign it to someone that has booked a guaranteed catagory that really doesn't need an HC cabin. Personally I can't fault them for this practice since it occurs after final payment and cruise line would rather if be filled even with abled body passengers as an empty cabin makes them no money. The cruise lines say that if a HC cabin is booked by someone that does not have a specific need that they'll contact them to attempt a switch. However the person booked in that cabin is under no obligation to give it up. But keep the faith there are some people out there that will do the right thing.

Thank you so much pjtulsa! I had found another thread where i wrote down all the HC rooms, but this is much more convenient. Not getting a handicap room will NOT ruin my cruise, but the more I have to help him with the simple things in life the more frustrated he gets!

Archived