[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:35 AM.
New Hampshire
5,668 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by donaldsc
Thing is that I probably do not need to shoot it down. Somebody somewhere probably from overseas must be making and selling probably illegally a device that jams the signal from your control box and makes the drone crash. If they aren't, they should. There is a great market for it.

DON
Hmmmmmm.
NY
365 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by donaldsc
Check out this site -

https://www.thesignaljammer.com/

Specifically, check out these items - https://www.thesignaljammer.com/categories/UAV-Drone/

or this - https://www.thesignaljammer.com/blog...ng-technology/

DON
https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-...nt-against-law

It also lists as jamming WiFi being against federal law. Drones use WiFi frequencies to communicate.

Also nice little quote from FCC: Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.
NY
365 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by CruiseBabys
My husband is a licenced pilot, flown F16's 27 years for USAF and now DoD contractor that is helping on the SOP for Drones for the FAA.
"Use common sense" "Check FAA site"
There are restrictions such as
consent to fly over private property, not flying above 400ft, no flying within a 4km radius of an airport and remember Lithium batteries must be declared to the Air carrier as they are considered Hazardous Matieral and some carriers require Lithium batteries be swabbed and placed in specialized bag/containers for Lith batteries.* Suggested read:

*https://dronelife.com/2015/04/28/travel-with-a-drone/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app
Your husband is not 100% correct..

- For recreational flying, please check FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A.
- 400 foot limit is recommended, but not required or enforced. Check Public Law 112-95, section 336.
- If you are flying within 5 miles of an airport, you need to advise tower. Permission is not needed, only need to advise them. But it's perfectly legal to fly it within 5 mile range.
- Only lithium batteries over 100Wh are restricted. Anything below is permitted. If TSA made you swab all lithium batteries, your laptop, cell phone, smart watch, hearing aid, and so on, will be swabbed and you'll have to declare it. My drone's batteries are 43Wh. Even if you carry batteries in 101-160Wh range, with airline's approval, you can carry two. No limit on lower capacity. That is not to say that drone batteries are safe. Drones use Lithium Polymer batteries that are very volatile. When punctured, bad stuff will happen. But same battery chemistry is used in Macbooks. Macbooks are better protected though.

I am also a licensed pilot. Just never touched anything as fancy as F-16.
NY
365 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Omega1
Good luck to you - probably your best option.
It seems to me that all through this thread you have not wanted to do anything that was against Princess rules, do anything that was illegal in any of your ports of call nor deliberately annoy anyone around you whilst went about your lawful business enjoying using your drone in a responsible way.
You argued your case with restraint and respect whilst receiving some very rude and uncalled for personal insults.
Whilst not being a drone fan, I respect your right to use yours in a considerate way, within the regulatory framework.
Happy flying.
Thank you.

I am usually not the person to yell "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!" and try to avoid conflict. I flown my drone in open area few times, and was asked by others if it's possible to not fly here. Instead of "Get lost, I can legally do it" I just flew my drone to other area. One couple even received a "drone selfie" because while they were not exactly comfortable, they wanted a unique shot of them.

Drones are interesting machines. Early they produced a lot of negativity due to people being completely stupid flying them. But as FAA and various non-government associations (AMA) are bringing awareness and education efforts, while popularity of drones grows, incidents do not. Sure, there are still people who do stupid things. Like flying over other people, or flying them at unsafe locations, in restricted locations. They also forget that this is NOT a toy and should be flown and treated with respect. But that harms the hobby/sport.

See if you can give a shot flying one. Even if you are not a fan, you'll understand it better, and may not be as opposed to them.
Manchester UK
1,024 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Meanee
See if you can give a shot flying one. Even if you are not a fan, you'll understand it better, and may not be as opposed to them.
That is an interesting phrase given some of the comments on this thread.😂
I'm not particularly opposed to drones - I'm neutral.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING:
Caribbean Princess, Caribbean, January 2018: Caribbean Princess, Panama Canal, January 2018: MSC Musica, Grand Voyage, Venice - Durban, October 2018.

CRUISED:
2004 Nile Cruise, 2007 Pride of America, Hawaii. 2008 Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas. 2008 Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2008 Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean. 2008 Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean. 2009 Noordam, Eastern Mediterranean. 2009 Noordam, Western Mediterranean. 2009 Costa Serena, Eastern Mediterranean. 2010 Costa Luminosa, Dubai and Emirates. 2010 Zuiderdam, Panama Canal. 2011 Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2011 Caribbean Princess, Western Caribbean. 2011 Yangtse River Cruise. 2011 Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern Caribbean. 2011 Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean. 2012 Star Princess, South America. 2012 Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern Mediterranean. 2012 Ruby Princess, Transatlantic. 2013 Celebrity Solstice, Australia/NZ. 2013 Celebrity Solstice, NZ/Australia. 2013 Crown Princess, Norwegian Fjords. 2013 Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean. 2013 Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2014 Amsterdam, Alaska. 2014 Diamond Princess, Japan. 2015 Volendam, Far East. 2015 Royal Princess, Eastern Caribbean. 2015 Royal Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2016 Royal Princess, Mediterranean. 2016 Emerald Princess, Baltic. 2016 Volendam, Indonesia. 2017 Crown Princess, Transatlantic.
LAS ♠️♥️♦️♣️
31 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Meanee
Your husband is not 100% correct..

- For recreational flying, please check FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A.
- 400 foot limit is recommended, but not required or enforced. Check Public Law 112-95, section 336.
- If you are flying within 5 miles of an airport, you need to advise tower. Permission is not needed, only need to advise them. But it's perfectly legal to fly it within 5 mile range.
- Only lithium batteries over 100Wh are restricted. Anything below is permitted. If TSA made you swab all lithium batteries, your laptop, cell phone, smart watch, hearing aid, and so on, will be swabbed and you'll have to declare it. My drone's batteries are 43Wh. Even if you carry batteries in 101-160Wh range, with airline's approval, you can carry two. No limit on lower capacity. That is not to say that drone batteries are safe. Drones use Lithium Polymer batteries that are very volatile. When punctured, bad stuff will happen. But same battery chemistry is used in Macbooks. Macbooks are better protected though.

I am also a licensed pilot. Just never touched anything as fancy as F-16.
Meanee,
Sir, The F-16 is by no means comfy or fancy, however it takes an accomplished, well educated Pilot to fly it.

Without the mention of the type or size of the UAV being used, he cautioned on lithium batteries on aircraft and 100% You will be asked by the airline check in agent if you have ^PACKED" lithium batteries to little E-cigs! "Common Sense" to check Your Airline and the TSA website.

FAA rules are always changing on flying UAV's, such as Prohibited areas, Restricted Airspce areas, Public areas, Military operation areas (MOAs) and Controlled firing areas (CFAs).
So use "Common Sense" and check out the current TFR's, Via the the FAA website.

Oh good luck with getting permission from ATC to fly a UAV near a Airport! Not impossible, but you better have a good reason!

My husband is 100% correct.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Crown Princess DEC 9th 2017 Eastern Caribbean
Ruby Princess NOV 26th 2016 Mexican Riviera
Inspiration Carnival OCT 29th 1999 Mexican Riviera -Halloween Cruise with Kids.
Sea Princess 1997 Mexican Riviera Repositioning Cruise
928 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by CruiseBabys
My husband is 100% correct.
Words that have never been heard in this house.

My wife could do with some coaching. Do you offer an online course ?
LAS ♠️♥️♦️♣️
31 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by WpgCruise
Words that have never been heard in this house.

My wife could do with some coaching. Do you offer an online course ?
WpgCruise,
Lol! that made me laugh! ...
A Command Pilot with more than 4,000+ Flight hours, Aircraft flown T-37, T-38, F-16C and MQ-9.
Lol.. However, I will admit the Air Force Academy did not give him ANY cooking skills! .

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Crown Princess DEC 9th 2017 Eastern Caribbean
Ruby Princess NOV 26th 2016 Mexican Riviera
Inspiration Carnival OCT 29th 1999 Mexican Riviera -Halloween Cruise with Kids.
Sea Princess 1997 Mexican Riviera Repositioning Cruise