Cuba Travel Update/Clarification from U.S. State Department

gregski

I just got email back today from the U.S. State Department from the email I sent to the address listed on the US State Departments web site for Cuba. This was specifically about clarifying rules in relation to using local tours when on cruise ships......

Yanira was very helpful and I would like to follow up to the number listed but wanted to share this feedback that sounds like you can use local tours instead of the cruise ship tours.... (p.s...i deleted my name on the email for privacy reasons but the rest is the actual email).. also note the other person cc'd from the state department on their reply.

From: Alvarez, Yanira X (Havana) [mailto:AlvarezYX@state.gov]

Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:09 AM

To: Greg

Cc: Miranda, Leonel G

Subject: RE: New Cuba Travel Policy for USA residents

Dear Greg,

As long as your trip purposemeets the requirements of one of the 12 categories approved by OFAC and youhave the Cuban visa issued by this Cruise Company, it should be OK to be ableto do the tour in Havana. Should you have more questions please contact theCruise Company or our office at (53)7839-4211 or 78394241.

We cannot advise otherwise orgive any opinion.

Cordially,

Yanira Alvarez Piñeiro

Consular Assistant

American Citizens Services

U.S. Embassy

Havana, Cuba

Phone: (53) 78394211

Privacy/PII

Thisemail is UNCLASSIFIED.

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:52 PM

To: Havana, ACS

Subject: New Cuba Travel Policy for USA residents

My family will becoming to Havana on a cruise ship on November 24th for the day andwe had scheduled a tour with a local guide with Fertours and I wanted to makesure we could still do this due to the recent changes. According to theGeneral License Categories they would fall under the “Support for Cuban People”

Here is tour guide web site..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147275-d7986028-Reviews-Fertours_2_Cuba-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html

Documentwe are required to fill out to list the purpose of the visit.. Thedescription below lists “Iam traveling to Cuba to engage with individuals and non-governmental

organizations that promote independent activityintended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND my schedule of activities

doesnot include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with afull-time schedule. (31 C.FR. § 515.574)

We will be on afull day tour and wanted to verify that were not required to only do the cruisetour and that this local Havana tour with a local guide would be ok andchecking box 3 for the Support of the Cuban people would be the correct way tofill out this form

Thank you,

-Greg

Supportfor the Cuban people. I am traveling to Cuba to engage with recognized humanrights organizations,

independent organizations designed to promote arapid, peaceful transition to democracy, or individuals and non-governmental

organizations that promote independent activityintended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND my schedule of activities

doesnot include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with afull-time schedule. (31 C.FR. § 515.574)