September 23 driving through Houston to Galveston port-How are the roadways?

KJ.08.kj

The toll road (Beltway 8) on the west side of town is still currently closed going southbound at I-10. It may or may not be open by the 23rd. This means traffic is massively awful almost everywhere during rush hour right now as people reroute to avoid that area. It should not be so bad on a weekend or outside of rush hour, but you might still add an extra half hour to your planning just in case.

This link is for Houston-area traffic/closures: https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

You should be fine as long as you check out the road conditions before you travel. I drove from the south side of Houston (about half an hour north of Galveston) to San Antonio and back this past weekend. There was one part of Beltway 8 that I knew to avoid, so the trip didn't take me any longer than usual.

The toll road (Beltway 8) on the west side of town is still currently closed going southbound at I-10. It may or may not be open by the 23rd. This means traffic is massively awful almost everywhere during rush hour right now as people reroute to avoid that area. It should not be so bad on a weekend or outside of rush hour, but you might still add an extra half hour to your planning just in case.

This link is for Houston-area traffic/closures: https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Use this site for real time information!

can someone tell me how find out about the roadways through Houston to Galveston for next week?

Every major highway is open. Parts of Beltway 8 may have lanes restricted on the West side of Houston.

I-45 is open all the way to Galveston as is Loop 610 around the inner perimeter of the city.

If you could tell us where you will be coming from we can better advise you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Noticed this thread - we have a similar question. We'll be driving to Galveston from Little Rock to sail on October 7. We'll do most of the driving on October 6. I think last year we took the 610 loop around the east side of Houston then got on I45. Still a good option? So sorry for all of the suffering in TX and FL and other devastated areas. Prayers for all!

Noticed this thread - we have a similar question. We'll be driving to Galveston from Little Rock to sail on October 7. We'll do most of the driving on October 6. I think last year we took the 610 loop around the east side of Houston then got on I45. Still a good option? So sorry for all of the suffering in TX and FL and other devastated areas. Prayers for all!

I-69/U.S. 59 South from Texarkana then East on Loop 610 to I-45 South is your best route from Little Rock.

Enjoy your cruise, we'll be right behind you on the Breeze on October 8.

I-69/U.S. 59 South from Texarkana then East on Loop 610 to I-45 South is your best route from Little Rock. Enjoy your cruise, we'll be right behind you on the Breeze on October 8.

Thank you! You'll love the Breeze if you haven't tried her before. We sailed the Breeze last December, and will sail again this December.

Thank you! You'll love the Breeze if you haven't tried her before. We sailed the Breeze last December, and will sail again this December.

We sailed on the Magic a few years ago. It and the Breeze are very similar except for decor in the atrium and other public areas.

If you don't mind tolls you can also take the Sam Houston tollway East from I-69/U.S. 59 just South of Humble. It will intersect I-45 South a little further South than does Loop 610.

We sailed on the Magic a few years ago. It and the Breeze are very similar except for decor in the atrium and other public areas.

If you don't mind tolls you can also take the Sam Houston tollway East from I-69/U.S. 59 just South of Humble. It will intersect I-45 South a little further South than does Loop 610.

Thanks, Dan! We've also sailed on the Magic but love the Breeze so much more! How much are the tolls on that route? Happy sailing and continued prayers for our country!

Thanks, Dan! We've also sailed on the Magic but love the Breeze so much more! How much are the tolls on that route? Happy sailing and continued prayers for our country!

We use an EZ-pass transmitter so we get a little bit of a discount. The highest toll will be the one for the ship channel bridge, around $2 and there are 3 other toll booths that you go through that charge about $1 each. Grand total should be in the $5-6 range. Check HCTRA.com for the exact amounts.

Safe travels!

We use an EZ-pass transmitter so we get a little bit of a discount. The highest toll will be the one for the ship channel bridge, around $2 and there are 3 other toll booths that you go through that charge about $1 each. Grand total should be in the $5-6 range. Check HCTRA.com for the exact amounts.

Safe travels!

Correct url is hctra.org

• 2 weeks later...
Google maps routed us quickly and efficiently down to galveston for our Sept 9th cruise and return 5 days later. You should be fine with your travel date.

Out of curiosity, what routing did Google maps give you and where were you coming from?

We drove from Austin. Google routed us south around the city down through sugarland, league city etc. We came in around 3:30 so traffic delays in downtown were starting. That's when Google alerted us of a faster route. Coming back on a Saturday it took us through downtown.

We drove from Austin. Google routed us south around the city down through sugarland, league city etc. We came in around 3:30 so traffic delays in downtown were starting. That's when Google alerted us of a faster route. Coming back on a Saturday it took us through downtown.

Beltway 8 to the Sam Houston Tollroad to I-45 South of Houston would have been quicker if you do not mind the tolls.

I think it was initially routing us in on toll roads (fine by me) but then there was a collision. If it was on the toll road, maybe that's why it routed us further south? Even with the stoplights going that way (smaller roads), I was happy not to have to sit in standstill traffic. Everything kept going pretty nicely.