Insurance or not /need a little advice

Team

If op's reason to potentially cancel isn't health related he may need a customized policy that only covers cancellation. Have never researched one like this since my main phobia has always been the big $ risks, medical/evacuation. Excluding these should make a policy much more affordable. Agree with everyone that op should talk with insuremytrip or similar multi-agency broker.

Hello thanks for taking the time read this post. We find ourselves in a bit of a conundrum, we have put our deposit down for the December 4 sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, we have until September 5 to cancel and receive our deposit back or pay the full remaining amount. Our problem is that we have a 40% chance of not being able to make the December cruise

This is not our first cruise and with our prior cruises we never had any insurance. We need to know is there an insurance company that will ensure us in case of cancellation.? We may not know if we will make the cruise until late in November.

I realize we could just cancel with Celebrity get a full deposit back and wait and see what happens and possibly book on another ship later but we got such a great deal on this cruise that were reluctant to do that.. We don't need lost luggage, missed connections or any of the other insurance that companies provide.

We are not fond of dealing with insurance companies because it seems like when it's time for them to pay there are surprises and surprises usually cost the insured money.

I just thought I would throw it out there and see what advice some of the more seasoned cruises may have. Any suggestions and/or advice will be appreciated. If someone could recommend a no nonsense insurance company would also appreciate that.

Thanking you in advance

Tom and Nina

You have to get ins. 21 days after initial deposit to be covered for "cancel for any reason".

'

The OP never bothered to return to the thread they started (gotta love it) but they have posted on another thread that they made final payment. So apparently they worked out their concern.

It of course would have been polite to stop by and thank fellow CC members for taking their valuable spare time to respond to the OP question!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the op never bothered to return to the thread they started (gotta love it) but they have posted on another thread that they made final payment. So apparently they worked out their concern.

It of course would have been polite to stop by and thank fellow cc members for taking their valuable spare time to respond to the op question!

Sent from my iphone using forums

Thanks to threads like this and our current roll call discussions..,we now have Supp Medical and trip evac insurance,....we booked it in addition to cruiseline ins which we always get..very nominal cost

We learned that Medicare does not cover outside of USA and our own supp is very limited..,also heard of the very high costs for med evac...the ins is well worth it!

And next time we'll get primary supp coverage...so no need to file first and get rejected.

And maybe cancel any reason policy as well.

The way I look at it, all the comments have helped multiple other folks that have read this thread and had similar issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are correct these are great threads for educating about Why you need TI.

Just would have been the polite thing to do if the OP would thank the folks who went out of their way to answer her/his questions. ;)

It looks like that Chase Sapphire card is free the first year then $95 annual fee the next year. So you are saying pay for cruise with the chase card and you wouldnt need trip insurance?

Depends on your insurance needs; my normal health insurance covers me for emergency medical care out of the country. I use the Chase Sapphire card for my Trip Interruption/Cancellation coverage (allots excellent reward points when used for booking travel and for restaurants - the two of which comprise most of my discretionary spending). Then I purchase a real inexpensive policy from a third party to cover emergency medical evacuation - as my understanding is that Chase Sapphire does not provide medical or evacuation coverage and my normal health insurance does not guarantee they would pay for emergency evacuation (and this can potentially be prohibitively expensive). Was able to purchase $1,000,000 in evacuation coverage for about $18 for my upcoming trip.

Then I purchase a real inexpensive policy from a third party to cover emergency medical evacuation - as my understanding is that Chase Sapphire does not provide medical or evacuation coverage and my normal health insurance does not guarantee they would pay for emergency evacuation (and this can potentially be prohibitively expensive). Was able to purchase $1' date='000,000 in evacuation coverage for about $18 for my upcoming trip.[/quote']

A lot of people miss this detail. On a cruise ship you have not only the problem of uncovered medical evacuation, but also medical coverage "on the high seas". My understanding is that even in policies that cover emergency care in a foreign country they may NOT cover it "on the high seas". Some of those will exclude coverage in a country normally covered because the illness begins "on the high seas".

I haven't used them, but I understand tripinsurancestore.com that is often recommended on here will take the time to look at your individual circumstance and find a policy that will cover what you need it to cover. I'll be calling them next time as I may be "over buying" policies through the self-service agency, insuremytrip.com, that I am using.

• 4 weeks later...
The OP never bothered to return to the thread they started (gotta love it) but they have posted on another thread that they made final payment. So apparently they worked out their concern.

It of course would have been polite to stop by and thank fellow CC members for taking their valuable spare time to respond to the OP question!

jg - The OP did not work out or purchase or cancel and is now posting for help with assistance/refund on the cruise....

bon voyage

I don't look at a question on here as only help for an op though it would be polite for an op to come back with a brief "thanks for all you helpful posts".

So many other folks read these threads and come away with good info.

I have learned a lot reading a variety of posts and I enjoy some of the word games on here as well!

OP started a new post and stated he now cancelled. Now looking for advice on how to get his money back ( did not purchase insurance)
:rolleyes: They gambled and lost. Edited by ReneeFLL

Insurance covers more than just cancellation. Although we don't want to loose the money, most of us can absorb the cancellation costs. What we cannot absorb is medical costs, deaths, emergency expenses, and other tragedies. What would you do if your traveling companion dies? The fees involved in making arrangements in a foreign country can be extremely high. I know 3 women who became widows while traveling. Two of them had insurance. One didn't .....and wished she had had insurance. Buy it. Celebrity insurance is one of the least expensive plans. Also, check out Insure My trip.

Thanks to threads like this and our current roll call discussions..,we now have Supp Medical and trip evac insurance,....we booked it in addition to cruiseline ins which we always get..very nominal cost

We learned that Medicare does not cover outside of USA and our own supp is very limited..,also heard of the very high costs for med evac...the ins is well worth it!

And next time we'll get primary supp coverage...so no need to file first and get rejected.

And maybe cancel any reason policy as well.

I do the same. Important to be covered for primary medical and especially evacuation. Cruiseline insurance will give you 75% toward cost of another trip if you cancel for any non covered reason (think pet illness) but you need extra evacuation protection and primary medical overseas so you can be sure they will pay.

Steve at trip insurance store will explain in detail what you need and is EXCELLENT. Highly recommend him.

Insurance covers more than just cancellation. Although we don't want to loose the money, most of us can absorb the cancellation costs. What we cannot absorb is medical costs, deaths, emergency expenses, and other tragedies. What would you do if your traveling companion dies? The fees involved in making arrangements in a foreign country can be extremely high. I know 3 women who became widows while traveling. Two of them had insurance. One didn't .....and wished she had had insurance. Buy it. Celebrity insurance is one of the least expensive plans. Also, check out Insure My trip.

Many years ago, my Dad died while he and my Mom were in Hong Kong on vacation. After many days of "red tape", she returned home, along with my Dad's body in the luggage compartment. It was extremely costly. But my Mom was reimbursed through American Express once all the needed paperwork was submitted.

We now always travel with Insurance.

OP started a new post and stated he now cancelled. Now looking for advice on how to get his money back ( did not purchase insurance)

:rolleyes: They gambled and lost.

And trying desperately to get their money back.....it's the price one pays for deciding to not insure for the unexpected.

Several year ago my boss asks his wife were cruising on the Solstice. She became ill, suspected norovirus (many on the ship were sick). Shortly after leaving Portugal she again visited the infirmary and a chest x-ray revealed fluid. She med evacuated from the ship. She was later diagnosed witha ruptured esophagus (from vomitting) and the fluid was actually her stomach contents leaking into her chest cavity. She was given a 10-20% chance of survival. They spent 30 days in the ICU in Portugal, had an interpreter communicating with them and the doctors as week as her brother who is a doctor back in the states. Once stable enough she fkew home be medical flight and was met at the airport by an ambulance where she was transported to her licak hospital. All charges were covered by travel insurance. I won't go without it and I pay partial attention to the medical limits.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Get insurance. It's cheap. I have an hmo. I am 50 years old and healthy or so I thought. Turns out that I had diverticulitis and an abscess on my colon. I had emergency surgery in Rome and had to pay in full out of pocket. It was the only trip that I didn't take out insurance. Never again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We live in the U.K. and never travel without insurance. Until 2014 we had never claimed but had to cancel in 2014 2 weeks before our cruise as my MIL was dying, we got a full payout from our insurance company. In 2015 we had to cancel the night before our cruise as I became very ill, again a full payout by our insurance company. There were no quibbles with either claim. Now I am in remission we can travel again but I can only get insurance for Europe and that at a huge price increase. The cost is worth paying for the peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums