What happens if you miss the ship's sailing?

lovedecruise

Many countries insist on you carrying your Passport ashore with you, which I don’t like doing, in case it is stolen. I once asked at Guest Relations why it was advised via the ‘daily.’ I was told it was in case you got left behind.

There's a difference between being "advised" to carry your passport and being "required" to carry it.

Trying to picture some at dinner in their "undercrackers" and for some, that would be an improvement in their personal dress code :). But just to correct the official record, I have no trouble with English People. It just that I cannot understand many blokes from Yorkshire or Newcastle. But after a few pints it does not matter...so all is good :).

Hank

Eh up surrie, we are real English, thad better watch thi sen or else thal get a clout round kisser and lug oles and then thal know thas messed wi real English Yekrshire tykes. An we ave a sayin that tha can tek lad outa Yerkshire but tha can niver tek Yerkshire outa lad. So wirever wi are wirall muckers, so mess wi one and tha messes wi us all.

It be ats me ar anyone can sey thi doant understand us, we speak better an them there Yankies, wi that John Wayne drawl that they all av. If tha cant understand this readin tha might try that there Google translatin thing, bur a dart thar'l elp th much.

Anyroads what is reight is that tha can always tell a Yerkshire tyke

BUT that can't tell im much.:cool:

And I hoap thats good Yerkshire ale thas bin suppin other stuff el gi thi belly ache and trots, or is that tother way rand?

Edited by AnOnymously

I have seen many clips on youtube of passengers who are late and miss their departing ship... there is one clip someone filmed on a wharf / pier of a lady running frantically waving her arms around yelling STOP STOP!! and the ship is already about 50 meters out to sea.....

There are many other clips of passengers who 'miss the boat'

while it's sad that some people don't get back to their ship in time, everyone gets told what time they need to be back at the ship and at the end of the day it's their responsibility to get back before the ship departs

Whenever we have the opportunity we pretend that we are missing the ship by running down the pier waving our arms and yelling as we see another ship leaving, stand there staring and then walk back down the pier to the land. I am sure that we aren’t the only passengers that do this.

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

I can speak from personal experience on this. Several years ago my daughter and her boyfriend were in Cozumel on Royal Caribbean. They missed the ship because of their own stupidity. They only had their seapass cards, a little cash and only bathing suits and cover-ups on. They got to the pier only to see their ship sailing away. I got a frantic (collect) call from them. I contacted Royal and learned it was their responsibity to get to the ship at the next port of call. Now for the fun part. A hurricane was closing in on Cozumel and the American Consulate was closed. I contacted a Marriott hotel there and got them a room. The Marriott was great, gave them sundry items, feed them, gave them a great room at a discount price. They could not fly to the next port due to flight problems, etc. but they could fly to Nassau.

The ship broke into their safe and photo copied their passports and drivers licenses and faxed them to the Marriott. Now the airlines after my explaining the situation allowed them to fly with this photo copied id. They had to fly from Cozumel to Miami and then to Nassau. They got out of Cozumel the next morning just before the airport closed. They arrived in Nassau the day before their ship did, so had to stay in a hotel that night. Again at a great Marriott. They next day when their ship sailed in they got back onboard and had no problems. Talk about me being stressed out!!! After the fact, I contacted their travel insurance company and got reimbursed for almost all of the costs.

Eh up surrie, we are real English, thad better watch thi sen or else thal get a clout round kisser and lug oles and then thal know thas messed wi real English Yekrshire tykes. An we ave a sayin that tha can tek lad outa Yerkshire but tha can niver tek Yerkshire outa lad. So wirever wi are wirall muckers, so mess wi one and tha messes wi us all.

It be ats me ar anyone can sey thi doant understand us, we speak better an them there Yankies, wi that John Wayne drawl that they all av. If tha cant understand this readin tha might try that there Google translatin thing, bur a dart thar'l elp th much.

And I hoap thats good Yerkshire ale thas bin suppin other stuff el gi thi belly ache and trots, or is that tother way rand?

Am laughing so hard it hurts. And yes, understood every word

I can speak from personal experience on this. Several years ago my daughter and her boyfriend were in Cozumel on Royal Caribbean. They missed the ship because of their own stupidity. They only had their seapass cards, a little cash and only bathing suits and cover-ups on. They got to the pier only to see their ship sailing away. I got a frantic (collect) call from them. I contacted Royal and learned it was their responsibity to get to the ship at the next port of call. Now for the fun part. A hurricane was closing in on Cozumel and the American Consulate was closed. I contacted a Marriott hotel there and got them a room. The Marriott was great, gave them sundry items, feed them, gave them a great room at a discount price. They could not fly to the next port due to flight problems, etc. but they could fly to Nassau.

The ship broke into their safe and photo copied their passports and drivers licenses and faxed them to the Marriott. Now the airlines after my explaining the situation allowed them to fly with this photo copied id. They had to fly from Cozumel to Miami and then to Nassau. They got out of Cozumel the next morning just before the airport closed. They arrived in Nassau the day before their ship did, so had to stay in a hotel that night. Again at a great Marriott. They next day when their ship sailed in they got back onboard and had no problems. Talk about me being stressed out!!! After the fact, I contacted their travel insurance company and got reimbursed for almost all of the costs.

I don't understand why the insurance company reimbursed them to cover their own stupidity. They should have lost all that money to teach them a lesson for the next time. What they have learned instead this that society rewards them for being stupid.

DON

After the fact, I contacted their travel insurance company and got reimbursed for almost all of the costs.

you were very lucky to get reimbursed from the travel insurance company... especially since if was their fault they missed the ship in the first place.

Many countries insist on you carrying your Passport ashore with you, which I don’t like doing, in case it is stolen. I once asked at Guest Relations why it was advised via the ‘daily.’ I was told it was in case you got left behind.

We always leave our passports on board the ship

When we travel abroad we always carry our passport cards in our wallet. No problem

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First of all you need to learn English, not American, which is more appalling than Yershire. At least we don't advise people to go to dinner in their undercrackers, we advise them to wear trousers and surely a tux is a sort of mosquito.

No wonder you have trouble with real English people:loudcry:

Ya'll talk funny! And I'm fixin to git outta here.

I've only been on 4 cruises, all of them in the South Pacific and Asia. On each of them we needed our passports to get back on board at each foreign port.

Specifically passports? Or just some form of photo ID (which, of course, may be a passport)?

We have come across the photo ID requirement a few times, especially in some NZ ports - and it must be an original photo ID, a copy pf passport pages wasn't acceptable as one poor couple in front of us on the shuttle bus in Napier discovered. They were pulled off the bus at the port gates for "further processing". I assume they eventually got back onboard.

On RCI pages there is a similar discussion. I remembered reading this linked post when it originated. The thread was started by an individual that was left behind on a cruise.

"Here's a link to that post. Well worth reading. After a lot of early posts by others, the OP gets into the details around post #165."

Passport on ship, they would have had to search the cabin to find it for quite a long time, she had it in her handbag. Still sailed.
Passports should be stored in the safe. We have been informed (multiple times) that on Celebrity ships they only search the stateroom safe to look for passports when people miss the ship.

If the passports are found in the safe, they are removed and left with the port agent.

They typically will not search the entire cabin to go looking for passports - not enough time.

Edited by varoo

On RCI pages there is a similar discussion. I remembered reading this linked post when it originated. The thread was started by an individual that was left behind on a cruise.

"Here's a link to that post. Well worth reading. After a lot of early posts by others, the OP gets into the details around post #165."

Wow - just read a few pages of that thread...... and the one thing I've learnt from that is if the ship leaves at XXX time then you've got to be on the ship before then - if you're meeting a friend / family member at a certain time and they don't show up, then just get on the ship...... don't wait for them, because if they do show up late then you'll both miss the ship!

In Croatia we were told it was required by local government.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a Floridian, about as far as you can get from Yorkshire, but I understood everything you wrote.

As far as hearing it with my lug holes, I would be in deep trouble.

Ya'll talk funny! And I'm fixin to git outta here.

I worked with a woman of the Northern persuasion who ridiculed coworkers who said they were "fixin' to go off". She said they sounded like fireworks.

That meant I had to start saying it at every opportunity.

Trying to picture some at dinner in their "undercrackers" and for some, that would be an improvement in their personal dress code :). But just to correct the official record, I have no trouble with English People. It just that I cannot understand many blokes from Yorkshire or Newcastle. But after a few pints it does not matter...so all is good :).

Hank

I'm flying to Philly tomorrow. No seats on BA so had to book with Yorkshire Airlines. Wish me luck.....

This past summer while on the Zuiderdam in the Baltic we almost missed the ship doing our own thing. They told us they would have just paged us and left if we weren’t there. I think it really depends on the cruise line and the port. I don’t think any line would leave you in Saint Petersburg but one never knows. Just buy good insurance. We would never again venture out on our own with out a real tour guide. We left the port of Kiel Germany by train to Lubeck with 3 other couples. On the way back a tree fell across the track. The train went back to Lubeck. So we grabbed a taxi really fast before anyone else since there were 6 of us for $200. But the taxi got on the highway and for some reason the highway was closed. So the. He had to go the back roads with everyone else doing the same. Got to the ship 15 minutes before they pulled up the Gangplank

I worked with a woman of the Northern persuasion who ridiculed coworkers who said they were "fixin' to go off". She said they sounded like fireworks.

That meant I had to start saying it at every opportunity.

At least we're not getting into the term "knocking someone up."