Have you encounted inconsiderate cruisers, and what to do

Giantfan13

I'm sorry, but just because you sit in a seat does not entitle you to a clear view. If there is room for people to stand and they do, then that's not being rude. I had a woman ask me to move on GR. We were in the Centrum, standing near the sculpture, just behind where the chairs are on the floor. About 25 feet behind us were the rest of the chairs that are scattered around. A woman came up and asked us to move. I just looked at her and stayed where I was. There was room for a lot of people to stand. Just because you sit in a chair doesn't give you the right to expect people to keep the area in front of them clear just for you. There are a lot of people and most shows are standing room. The idea of leaving all that floor space clear just so those seated could see was ludicrous. I also think it's rude to expect people to move from a perfectly free space just because you are sitting.

I'm sorry, but just because you sit in a seat does not entitle you to a clear view. If there is room for people to stand and they do, then that's not being rude. I had a woman ask me to move on GR. We were in the Centrum, standing near the sculpture, just behind where the chairs are on the floor. About 25 feet behind us were the rest of the chairs that are scattered around. A woman came up and asked us to move. I just looked at her and stayed where I was. There was room for a lot of people to stand. Just because you sit in a chair doesn't give you the right to expect people to keep the area in front of them clear just for you. There are a lot of people and most shows are standing room. The idea of leaving all that floor space clear just so those seated could see was ludicrous. I also think it's rude to expect people to move from a perfectly free space just because you are sitting.

So if you're standing watching an event and some one comes along and stands in the free space directly in front of you ( no room to the right or left of you) and blocks your view that person isn't rude?

So back on subject: We did an excursion in Ft Lauderdale at the end of one of our cruises because we had a late flight. It just seemed like more fun than sitting around the airport. And it included airport transfers. There was a group of ladies who were late getting on the bus for the airport. One of them had the audacity to tell the driver that they had to be dropped off at their airline first because of their flight time (We had the same time and we got back to the bus early.). The driver said, “Sorry, we have to drop everyone off in order and your airline is last.” I thanked the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if you're standing watching an event and some one comes along and stands in the free space directly in front of you ( no room to the right or left of you) and blocks your view that person isn't rude?

If the space was free and they stood there, no they aren't being rude. If you want an unblocked view get in the front row. You can't stand or sit farther back and then expect nobody to go in front of you.

The elevator shoehorns who decide they can fit onto an already full elevator are the people I feel are rude. When there is no place to move back except too close to someone else and they step onto the three inch space available, I wish an alarm would go off so they would back off and wait for an elevator with space for them.

When an elevator is full, it is full, and additional people should not try to compress everyone else just to avoid waiting for another elevator. It is especially rude if there are two, three or four people who want to squeeze on. It is such a relief if someone gets off on the next floor. I actually should get off.

I hate being trapped on an overly full elevators, but I never say anything to the shoehorn who happily squeezes on. :rolleyes:

And then they only go 1 or 2 floors! :evilsmile:

If the space was free and they stood there, no they aren't being rude. If you want an unblocked view get in the front row. You can't stand or sit farther back and then expect nobody to go in front of you.

That's your opinion. IMO it's rude. No rows just floor space. So then the person being blocked should then move in front of the person that just stood in front of them and block their view. And on and on it goes until they are part of the floor show. :rolleyes: With my height I could piss off a lot of people. :evilsmile:

Edited by davekathy

It's rude to stand in front of people seated in chairs unless everyone in the room is standing. I have been to packed comedy shows on the ships and people who don't have seats don't stand in front of the people already seated. They stand in the back. That's common courtesy. If people want a seat, they should arrive early, not stand in front of the people already seated.

That's your opinion. IMO it's rude. No rows just floor space. So then the person being blocked should then move in front of the person that just stood in front of them and block their view. And on and on it goes until they are part of the floor show. :rolleyes: With my height I could piss off a lot of people. :evilsmile:

It's rude for you to think that you are so important that you get to determine where people get to stand. So just because you were there first and you want to stand 20ft back from whatever you are watching then everyone else should stand behind you even though there is empty space in front of you?

It's rude for you to think that you are so important that you get to determine where people get to stand. So just because you were there first and you want to stand 20ft back from whatever you are watching then everyone else should stand behind you even though there is empty space in front of you?

Now your assuming. So you agree with me it's ok if the person being blocked move in front of the person blocking them.

Several years ago I went to one of the parades on the promenade. Right before the parade started an ignorant fool walked up with his camera and stood directly in front of me. I politely asked him to move and he responded “go f*** yourself. I simply moved around him and said be sure to get the back of my head in focus - AH. He got indignant, but moved on. I suffer fools lightly!

Several years ago I went to one of the parades on the promenade. Right before the parade started an ignorant fool walked up with his camera and stood directly in front of me. I politely asked him to move and he responded “go f*** yourself. I simply moved around him and said be sure to get the back of my head in focus - AH. He got indignant, but moved on. I suffer fools lightly!

Brilliant!.

Wanna talk about rude, inconsiderate cruisers? I was on a Caribbean cruise 10 years ago and it was a sea day, mid afternoon and when we went to the pool deck there was not an unoccupied lounger in sight. When we finally found a couple of empty ones in different places, I asked one of the pool attendants to help us move them to a spot together. He did and there in began the "fight". This certain person started complaining very vocally and loud that we were "blocking" the sun. That he was there since 6:30 in the morning and that we shouldn't move in front of him. Of course we were not blocking his sun because it was practically overhead. But he became louder and more rude with each passing moment. We tried to ignore him. He eventually became threatening and that was when security stepped in. I guess they told him to quiet down and he eventually did. We met the people sitting besides us and had a marvelous afternoon. The moral of the story is don't be rude, don't be belligerent and most of all just ignore those "b....rds".

Wanna talk about rude, inconsiderate cruisers? I was on a Caribbean cruise 10 years ago and it was a sea day, mid afternoon and when we went to the pool deck there was not an unoccupied lounger in sight. When we finally found a couple of empty ones in different places, I asked one of the pool attendants to help us move them to a spot together. He did and there in began the "fight". This certain person started complaining very vocally and loud that we were "blocking" the sun. That he was there since 6:30 in the morning and that we shouldn't move in front of him. Of course we were not blocking his sun because it was practically overhead. But he became louder and more rude with each passing moment. We tried to ignore him. He eventually became threatening and that was when security stepped in. I guess they told him to quiet down and he eventually did. We met the people sitting besides us and had a marvelous afternoon. The moral of the story is don't be rude, don't be belligerent and most of all just ignore those "b....rds".

So very true.

Cheers

Len

Fortunately I haven't encountered many terribly rude people on cruises, outside of the usual chair hogs/elevator shovers etc but I don't let that stuff get to me. Most annoying experience: I was on a Princess cruise and on the pool deck was a very popular bar where the bartenders would frequently do some flair type moves and everyone got a kick out of it. So they had an official flair show scheduled for one afternoon and we got to the bar just in time to squeeze in at the end, standing. Next to us was an elderly gentleman wearing a hat indicating he was a US Veteran and he was using a cane. He was seated. A woman comes by carrying a toddler and she is very loudly whooping it up and getting the child overly excited about the show. She proceeds to shove her way into the crowd and ultimately makes the Vet with the cane give up his chair so she can bounce the toddler up and down to the music (she basically shoved him off). There are so many levels of wrong there it's insane! I wanted to shame her and also perhaps throw a drink at her. But at the end of the day I try to not get into it with people because you never know who's completely loco and might snap and punch you out or something. I only ever lost it once in a movie theater where the woman next to me talked loudly throughout the ENTIRE movie and my blood was boiling and I just snapped and yelled at her, you're ruining the movie for everyone! Needless to say I hightailed it out of there at the end and was lucky she didn't beat my ass because she was definitely the type who would have.

Regarding elevators and scooters. I have mobility problems and even worse, I cannot stand in place for more than five minutes without jaw clenching pain.

When I see someone in a scooter push ahead of everyone to get on the elevator, it bothers me.

They're sitting down, so it wouldn't hurt them to wait for the next elevator.

I could use a scooter myself, but want to retain the ability to walk while I can. I don't use my cane to trip anyone so I can get ahead of them, but sometimes I'm tempted to smack a few heads.

Not on a cruise but related sort of . We were on a cruise several years ago that ended in Vancouver .Nearly everyone on our flight to NYC had been on the cruise . We found ourselves seated behind a couple who was on the cruise . The husband sat down on his seat and pushed it back as far as he could nearly crushing my knees .I screamed in pain and his reaction was to push even harder .He then got up to go to the bathroom and his wife took his seat and she pushed the seat back into my knees and again I screamed in pain .I could barely stand and called over the nearest Flight Attendant .She was unable to reason with the people.She was able to find my wife and I other seats on the plane .When we left the plane I confronted the couple and asked why they were so rude and they told me to F-off.

A few days later I was in a restaurant not too far from where I live and this couple was dining there.I came in with friends,pointed to the couple and proceeded to tell my friends about them.I guess they were embarassed because they left immediately.

This couple were Cruise Critic regulars .If they are still posting here they have changed the names they use .

Ha! That's great. DH and I have a theory that the weirdest people on the flight to the cruise will be on our ship, and the weirdest (or rudest) people on the ship will be on our flight home. Proven true over about 12 cruises now.

People who lean their seats back on airplanes are the worst IMO. There is such little space on airplanes these days. I want to lean my seat back and get a good nap, too, but I don't, because I absolutely hate it when the person in front of me does it.

I work in law enforcement as well, and I do not want to engage in an argument with anyone I don't know. I deal with enough domestic disputes at work that I don't have the energy for any sort of dispute or disturbance outside of work.

I don't see any problem with this personally. If it were not possible to lower it, then fine. You can leave yours up if you want, that is your choice. If everybody lowers, then the amount of space actually stays the same, and even though I am big, I have no problems if the person in front of me wants to put their back, even if I don't want mine back, it is their choice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I don't see any problem with this personally. If it were not possible to lower it, then fine. You can leave yours up if you want, that is your choice. If everybody lowers, then the amount of space actually stays the same, and even though I am big, I have no problems if the person in front of me wants to put their back, even if I don't want mine back, it is their choice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Fair enough. I think it depends on the seat, too. Some planes seem to have less space then others. I'm a medium sized lady, so when I just fit into a seat, I think that's problematic because that means anyone not much bigger than me is going to have to squeeze in. Fortunately, people seem to lean seats back less these days. They do make those devices where you can prevent the person on front of you from leaning back, but I would never do that.

Just off the Indy. Someone in the cabin next to us was smoking while in port. It was gross. We kept asking him to stop smoking, reminded him it's against the rules, told him we would call someone. He just moved further back. He smoked 3-4 cigarettes before going inside. Our room steward said he had a slip to put in their room, to remind about smoking.

Not 10 minutes later, we started smelling cigar. We started coughing and pleading and reminding him that it was against the rules.

He finally stopped, when he was done with his cigar.

As a (6 year) former smoker, I know they have no clue as to how foul their smoking smells. I wish the cruise lines had more authority to fix this, but there's really no way. We couldn't even shame them into stopping.

Couple days ago in Windjammer there were people piling up waiting for replenishment of an item. This was making it impossible to get to the other items surrounding the empty dish. I wanted something from the surrounding dishes.

Me: Excuse me, I'm trying to get to that dish, may I?

Lady: I've been waiting for them to bring more out, you're not cutting me

Me: I am not trying to cut you, I want to get to that (points) right there.

Lady: You can wait until I get my food

Me: (perplexed look) Uhm, I just want to get what you are blocking, not what you are waiting for

Lady : **** off

Me: (stared at her a bit)

Lady: That's right **** off

So I just reached past her and got what I wanted with her "Ughing" and sighing and clicking her tongue.

A minute later at a different part of the buffet I see a whole fresh tray out of what she was waiting for. I walked back and said excuse me miss and she rolled her eyes "what now". I said drop the attitude, I just wanted to let you know a whole fresh dish of what you were waiting for was put out on another section and walked away.

She came up and apologized to me

I don't know how people can be this stupid and get so far in life.