Punta Cana

smj

I went to a resort once at Punta Cana and really don't care to ever go back. Locals very unfriendly. I can't understand why it's such a big tourist draw. I'll take Jamaica anyday for an All Inclusive resort.

• 3 months later...
Has anyone visited Punta Cana via Oceania? I don't really want to do an Oceania excursion but I can't find a better option.

Last week on an Oceania cruise, we were the first cruiseship ever to go to Punta Cana! We took a tender to Scape Park and the people there were so welcoming to us. Our excursion in Scape Park, an eco-theme park with phenomenal natural attractions that include cliffs, caverns, lagoons and the blue lagoon, where many people swam. Afterwards we went the beautiful secluded Juanillo Beach. Very enjoyable port!

Ick

I am not sure what that means? Ick?

Last week on an Oceania cruise, we were the first cruiseship ever to go to Punta Cana! We took a tender to Scape Park and the people there were so welcoming to us. Our excursion in Scape Park, an eco-theme park with phenomenal natural attractions that include cliffs, caverns, lagoons and the blue lagoon, where many people swam. Afterwards we went the beautiful secluded Juanillo Beach. Very enjoyable port!

I presume you mean you took an excursion as opposed t tendered at Scape Park?

Where did you tender? Is there anything to do if you choose not to take an excursion? Anything to do ashore near where you tendered? (without taking an excursion)

I am not sure what that means? Ick?

I presume you mean you took an excursion as opposed t tendered at Scape Park?

Where did you tender? Is there anything to do if you choose not to take an excursion? Anything to do ashore near where you tendered? (without taking an excursion)

Yes I did take an excursion. It didn't appear that there was much to do without an excursion. There were some stores and more being built.

Cruze4Ever-We were on the same cruise. We found the locals so excited to have us there. I guess a ship had been scheduled to dock earlier that week or a week before and one of the venues had bought 50 pounds of lobster then due to high winds it wasn't able to tender in. For two days prior to our port day they had high winds again and they were so worried.

smj-I assume you don't want to do an Oceania tour because they tend to be pricey. If that is the case, we took the only shuttle(free) to a small beach (sorry can't remember the name but is starts with an "a" and it is directly across the water from where the ship anchors). (the shuttle takes you sort of around in a circle)-there are free lawn chairs and shade---if you get there later in the day and they run out of chairs ask a worker and he will try and hunt some up. You can ask him to put it under the covered area by the pool if you need shade and everything else is taken. You can buy drinks/food if you want. Shuttle runs continuously throughout the day about every 15 min. Nice inexpensive day.

• 10 months later...

I think that must be Api Beach, that the shuttle goes to.

If anyone goes to Punta Cana on Oceania this season, before we do in February, could you please report back.

Would love confirmation that the shuttle is still running to Api Beach, and what it's like there - thank you

We did end up doing an Oceania excursion which we did not really enjoy. There were lots of smokers on our bus. They did not smoke on the bus but everywhere else on the tour. Our last stop was the beach. It was very nice. The port area is also very nice. :cool:

Although you did the excursion smj, did you notice the free shuttles running from the port to Api Beach at all?

I think it would have been Juanillo Beach that your tour stopped at?

There was a post in the DR forum from Mike (MVPINBOYNTON)

their shuttle to Juanillo is $20 r/t & to Api $15 r/t

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2425793&page=2

Yes, I saw that thanks, but there is also the post from Dunner in this topic saying Oceania ran a free shuttle

we are there next week I will have a look

but the post was from January maybe things changed

I will check

We are also trying to find something interesting to do in Punta Cana for our cruise in January. Scape Park sounds interesting but can not find any information on getting transportation to it. The O excursion is ridiculously over-priced. If anyone visits Scape Park, we would be interested in hearing of your experience.

Also, if anyone finds a tour of part of the island (not just to a beach), that would be even better. However, our searches have turned up nothing that is suitable for the timeframe for folks on a cruise.

Also, if anyone finds a tour of part of the island (not just to a beach), that would be even better. However, our searches have turned up nothing that is suitable for the timeframe for folks on a cruise.

If you check The Preismans blog Mike posted about going to Higuey on a tour

http://www.thepreismans.com/hal_na_17_page1.htm

bottom of page 2

Some people on our cruise are doing a boat trip

I am sure if you look at the ports of call forum or google tours in Punta Cana something should come up

Folks,

We are there next week and 18 of us from the roll call have booked a private snorkel tour with:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g3176298-d4857649-Reviews-El_Tour_Caribe_Tours-Bavaro_Punta_Cana_La_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

It was custom made to fit around our time in port and includes private transfer, approx 45 min each way, through the Island scenery to Bavaro beach where you catch the boat. Food and drink {open bar once snorkelling finished!}, snorkel gear included and a decent price of $100 p.p. The company is run by Canadian ex pats who have been on the Island for many years and get great reviews. Just a suggestion for those looking for something different.

Just in PC off HAL Eurodam.

Went to Juanillo Beach. $20 cab ride, $15 for two chairs. Beautiful beach. Restaurant, bar & facilities. Plenty of space and shade; cloth canopy over our chairs protected us against falling coconuts :eek:.

One major problem; rough seas could prevent tendering to docks. Heard that this is normal. Felt like I was on a roller coaster ride back to the ship.

update

we were unable to get into PC due to rough seas

there was a notice in the cabin about a free shuttle to API beach

when I get home will scan the page

Thanks for the update, sorry you were not able to get ashore.