Price increase?

oceaniacruiserri

My impressions is that price increases are frequent and should be expected. How long ago were your previous cruises?

Costs DO tend to go up, and I suspect Oceania is as subject to them as we are.

Several years ago I said we probably wouldn't be able to continue on Oceania because of the increases, but not only have we continued, we are tending to book higher level cabins than we used to ... not always ...

Mura

We have loved Oceania since they began but now find we can cruise Crystal for the same or less. OlLife is a complete waste for us and a shipboard credit has to always be spent on things we would not normally buy.

Crystal includes everything except for tours which we would not take anyway.

We do miss O but love Crystal as well.

Wow...

Our last O cruise was a month ago. We travel 3-4 times per year and I'm well aware that costs are going up everywhere, but when it gets way upward of $500 a night it gives me pause. $500 a night when it includes air and wonderful meals is very doable. Way over that and we may be cutting back. I guess I'm too frugal for my own good:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone noticed the rates are higher in the 2017 brochures? I don't have old ones to compare them to, but they are considerably higher that we have paid for our 2 previous O cruises.

inflation and the world..... I booked a cruise for July 18 at $8500. november 16...its now $ 13,200 !

Message...things are not going to get cheaper...you want to get a good price... grab it NOW and dont look back I have only seen 2 reductions in 5 years on only 2 cruises I booked in 2015 for 2016..... The odds are nort got you will see reductions...of any sort

Part of the pressure is from cruisers themselves. We have a thread with someone wanting to know about 2019 cruises. Jesus! How about 2029 cruise? Oceania has traditionally priced cruise about 18 months or so in advance, and now we have people wanting them to post firm prices 30+ months in advance! Really!!!!!!!!!!! What are a multitude of economic factors going to be in the next 30 months? You want a firm price stupid, then here it is! We (O) are not going to be on the bottom end of the equation! Well, we sold out most of the ship (to loyal cruisers) at that stupid price and now you want to complain?! Who is the laugh on?????? O can now do a few deals and fill the rest of the ship, and all is well!

Win some, lose some, and some are rained out. But here is the bottom line. O is not going to bet against the odds and price long term cruises against the middle. If you want to book months and years out, you may win or you may lose, but Oceania is not going to price its cruises to lose. So book all the later 2018 and 2019 (as they are released)cruises as you please, but save me from the cries that O's inflationary protection policies differ from your short term views.

Well I've noticed an increase in a load of US grocery prices over the last few years or so in south FL. I read that the Federal Reserve may be ready to increase interest rates soon. We all have worries. We like to cruise to help figure out the next land vacation--no disrepect to the cruise We're first time Oceania cruisers

Has anyone noticed the rates are higher in the 2017 brochures? I don't have old ones to compare them to, but they are considerably higher that we have paid for our 2 previous O cruises.

And, at least, the high demand itineraries will probably go up again on April 1.

We booked a 2018 transpacific O cruise (5+ weeks) the week it was announced early in 2016. Within about 3 months, the per person fare jumped about $3000 (and I don't think it was just because of demand for the trip).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has little to do with inflation. As long as they are buying, price accordingly.

Bottom line:

Book early, book often

When I am priced out, they anticipate I'll be replaced. With the strong USD and rapidly rising prices it may be sooner than expected.

In the meantime, love the one your with.

Part of the pressure is from cruisers themselves. We have a thread with someone wanting to know about 2019 cruises. Jesus! How about 2029 cruise? Oceania has traditionally priced cruise about 18 months or so in advance, and now we have people wanting them to post firm prices 30+ months in advance! Really!!!!!!!!!!! What are a multitude of economic factors going to be in the next 30 months? You want a firm price stupid, then here it is! We (O) are not going to be on the bottom end of the equation! Well, we sold out most of the ship (to loyal cruisers) at that stupid price and now you want to complain?! Who is the laugh on?????? O can now do a few deals and fill the rest of the ship, and all is well!

Win some, lose some, and some are rained out. But here is the bottom line. O is not going to bet against the odds and price long term cruises against the middle. If you want to book months and years out, you may win or you may lose, but Oceania is not going to price its cruises to lose. So book all the later 2018 and 2019 (as they are released)cruises as you please, but save me from the cries that O's inflationary protection policies differ from your short term views.

The obvious short answer to your long post is - book a cruise onboard, even if it is a holder booking.

That way you will get the lowest price guarantee even after final payment (in addition to the other benefits). Price goes up - you're good; price goes down - you're even better :D

You change your mind or can't go - cancel and you'll only lose the $100 that you got as OBC.

How can you lose?

The obvious short answer to your long post is - book a cruise onboard, even if it is a holder booking.

That way you will get the lowest price guarantee even after final payment (in addition to the other benefits). Price goes up - you're good; price goes down - you're even better :D

You change your mind or can't go - cancel and you'll only lose the $100 that you got as OBC.

How can you lose?

Paul,

That is the best advice anyone can give..

Jancruz1

• 1 month later...

It's been my experience many times that the further out you book, the lower the price. As cabins sell out, the price rises. If they don't sell, the price lowers. If you're selecting a popular itinerary on a small ship, expect it to sell well.

Right now many of the cruise lines are experiencing strong bookings despite raising their fares. As long as people are willing to pay the price, it will keep rising until there is consumer push back. If you don't book because of price, chances are someone else will. The cruise line doesn't care who is in that cabin...unless it's the person who claims they were banned and cancelled. :p Thus the supply & demand cycle continues.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Comparing the same cruise from 2017 to 2018 I seem to find an increase of $1300 on the same cabin category. Same percs. 10 days, two persons.

Maybe they are hedging their bets that food costs, fuel, port fees & wages will increase by next year

These brochures & prices are done more than 2 yrs in advance of the cruises

Does you pay stay the same each year or does it rise with the cost of living ??

Its called inflation, and reality. When is the last time you saw prices on anything go down ? Seriously it is to be expected in life;p

You are perfectly right about the huge price increases on Oceania. We wanted to book with Oceania this Summer, but we have returned to Celebrity instead. I hardly think that increases in excess of 50% can be put down to inflation!

Here's my example of cruise-only prices:

our 12-night Baltic cruise on Marina in August 2015 B4 cabin cost 2179 Euros per Person including gratuities.

The equivalent cruise this year (12 nights, Marina, almost identical route, B4 cabin) costs 5049 Euros WITHOUT gratuities. This price includes internet and $300 onboard credit or 3 excursions. If you estimate these to be worth $600 (about 550 euros) then that makes the cruise fare 4499 euros. Add to this the gratuities of $192 (about 180 Euros) then the cruise fare becomes 4679 Euros. That is more than double the fare from 2015!

Now that I have done the maths, I will go ahead and write to Oceania to ask for their explanation.

It's a business. They will charge what the market will pay. This should not shock or surprise anyone

So true. There are a great many choices of cruise lines out there. Oceania does not force anyone to cruise on their ships.