Have Cancer? Dont go near Canyon Ranch!

Reba 954

We recently returned from a 2 week cruise on the Eclipse. Three weeks before we left, my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Needless to say, it was like getting hit with a two ton truck, but we decided to go on the cruise (with his doctor's blessing) before he started chemo and radiation. His doctor told us there were no restrictions at all, and to relax, have fun, and de-stress. So to that end, my husband decided to get a massage on the 2nd day of the cruise. He was honest on the pre screening questionnaire and put down that he had cancer. The masseuse immediately told him she couldnt touch him and sent him away. No I'm sorry but...No offer of any other treatment...just...I cant touch you. He felt degraded and like he had leprosy. He asked for the manager and got an asst manager who basically repeated what the first person had said, plus adding that if they massage him it could make his cancer spread. So my husband came back to the cabin extremely mad, stressed and depressed. We then contacted his oncologist. He told us, there are some people that think this could be true, but he himself felt there was no basis for it, and felt it would be fine. So we went to customer service and asked for the Canyon Ranch manager to call us. What a mistake! He was condescending, demeaning, and just plain rude to my husband. AGAIN, my husband was so upset......even worse than the first time. To make matters worse, the manager ended up giving a list of services, that were acceptable for cancer patients to have at Canyon Ranch, to our butler to give to us. And on it was a "Canyon Ranch Special Massage". That was never offered at all.

Its not that they wouldnt do the massage, it was the way they handled it. He was not looking for sympathy, but this could have been handled in a way that didnt make him feel discriminated against. We will never set foot in Canyon Ranch again. Celebrity offered to make it up to us, but it wasnt Celebrity that did this. We feel like Canyon Ranch is a disgrace to Celebrity.

Please dont respond with all the reasons they were right not to massage him. We are aware of the different opinions, and as I said, its just the way it was handled. They didnt offer to let him sign a release, they didnt offer the whole page of other treatments he could have, until we contacted Celebrity, and they treated him like he had an awful disease they could catch. My husband is such an easy going guy...nothing ever bothers him. I have never seen him that upset. Its bad enough that he has to go through this terrible thing, but to see him in tears because they insulted him so bad,was devastating.

My one wish is that everyone who has cancer, or who knows someone going thru cancer, or knows someone that has died from this awful disease, would boycott Canyon Ranch forever!!!

Reba, thank you for letting everyone aware of your husband's experience and hopefully others don't have to go through the same thing. But, why is it when someone has a bad experience with a company, they expect others to boycott the company, because of what they went through?

I've been to Canyon Ranch in Tucson and used their facilities on Celebrity ships and have always found them to be top notch and professional, so just because Reba's husband had a bad experience, I won't be boycotting Canyon Ranch. If I ever have a bad experience, I won't be using Canyon Ranch again, but won't ask others to follow suit.

I have a friend who is recovering from cancer. While she was undergoing treatment she had many massages. She even participated in massages for cancer patients that were offered through her medical care system. It's a real shame your husband had to go through this. Hope he has a quick and full recovery!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I was on a previous cruise I wanted to have a treatment which was refused because I was a diabetic. They did not tell me this when I did the questionnaire. They allowed me to get into a robe, wait 15 minutes and then when she brought me in the room told me that she couldn't do the treatment. (I was stunned as I had only been diagnosed for a few months and this was the first time a limit was set on what I could do). My mother is in healthcare and told me nothing in the treatment would have mattered.

The WORST part was she then continued to try to sell me the products she would have used so I could do the treatment at home. I literlally left and went back to my cabin and cried. Sad that they do this without real knowledge.

Reba, thank you for letting everyone aware of your husband's experience and hopefully others don't have to go through the same thing. But, why is it when someone has a bad experience with a company, they expect others to boycott the company, because of what they went through? . . .

Because some day you might be treated in the same manner, This was definitely bad PR not only by the first contact but by the manager. No company should make a person feel awful for seeking their services.

When the OP's DH recovers from his cancer, they have lost business, his, his family and those of us that think that they are uncaring business.

To the OP, I would recommend you to write to both, Canyon Ranch Corporate and to Celebrity Corporate. This behavior is appalling. No one should be made to feel bad just because they asked for a massage. The employees need training on how to handle situations where service is either refused, the person has an illness or when someone is going through a horrific experience like your dear husband. Best wishes to you both.

Because some day you might be treated in the same manner, This was definitely bad PR not only by the first contact but by the manager. No company should make a person feel awful for seeking their services.

I don't understand asking for a boycott of a company, because one person had a bad experience. What I do understand is, If the OP would have said that she just wanted to let folks know of her husband's bad service without asking folks to boycott a company, I guess I would have a little sympathy, but to ask for a boycott of a company, just because I might be treated the same way...not feeling that at all.

When I was on a previous cruise I wanted to have a treatment which was refused because I was a diabetic. They did not tell me this when I did the questionnaire. They allowed me to get into a robe, wait 15 minutes and then when she brought me in the room told me that she couldn't do the treatment. (I was stunned as I had only been diagnosed for a few months and this was the first time a limit was set on what I could do). My mother is in healthcare and told me nothing in the treatment would have mattered.

The WORST part was she then continued to try to sell me the products she would have used so I could do the treatment at home. I literlally left and went back to my cabin and cried. Sad that they do this without real knowledge.

I am sorry that you went through this. Do you mind sharing the kind of treatment that you had requested? Diabetes is very common as we all know...

I am sorry that you went through this. Do you mind sharing the kind of treatment that you had requested? Diabetes is very common as we all know...

Not sure (I kinda blocked it out). It was a oil and brush technique that helped with cellulite and drainage. Wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't tried to sell it to me. So obviously I could use it, she just couldn't??

I am so sorry to hear of your experience, and to me, we were raised to always behave with respect for everyone. What matters personally, is what people do when no one is looking. Meaning, your husband was treated poorly and instead of an apology he received additional poor customer service from management. Frankly, this reflects poorly on both Celebrity and the spa. May your husband be blessed with successful treatments!!.

To those of you who are ripping at Reba for her comment on boycotting the spa, reread that part and see who she is talking to. Those who have had some sort of cancer situation in their lives. You really have no right to tell someone how to react or respond to a really negative experience. Those lacking sympathy should get off their high horse. If you have nothing nice, helpful or kind to say, say nothing. I truly hope nothing bad or negative happens to you because I'd hate to see your reactions.

Have to agree that Canyon Ranch on Celeb is not turning out to be the mellow health and wellness program I had hoped for..

First two cruise experiences with them when they were new to X were excellent. They apparently retained some from Steiner mgmnt on the ships which was reflected on our last cruise in the way they tried to get out of discounted prices and in the terse way they treat spa clientele.

I usually go a few times per cruise if I can...I book on dsy one, mostly at port pricing times.. Sometimes due to excursion conflict times, they offer to agree to diff times if they want to book the appts. .I always have them initial the agreed prices and appt times.

Last time, Infinity Oct, they tried to reneg..imagine how embarassed they were when I showed them the the paperwork which they initialled previously. Even then they were quite in a huff about it. Not a good way to end a treatment session. ( and I always tip at the orig price so the therapist does not lose out)

Also observed a couple being raked over because although the Spa had rescheduled them for spa 's convenience they upcharged them fir a couples massage taken after port hours..Really left a bad taste..I will still go there but very cautiously on pricing. I still like the services and spa clothing they sell. They are indep of Celeb so no higher authority if there's an issue...but hope OP cobtacts Canyon Ranch corporate

What was done to OP and the diabetic woman was disgusting! I always disclose my BP and type 2 issues and they have no problem accepting me..sorry to hear these reports

It is really sad that so many companies don't want anything to do with a possible lawsuit, so they have some ambiguous rules based on myths. I agree that they need training in communication and understanding when talking with customers onboard Celebrity and that could have made a huge difference. So many times it is the handling of the situation that causes people to feel this way.

I had a massage from them and I can honestly say it was the worst I had ever had, along with the most expensive. The girl was in training and I was her first customer.

So CRS, it is up to you to you to listen to your customers and react accordingly. I agree that the OP should write this company and explain in detail. Otherwise, those at the top may never know this happened.

I am sorry your husband had to go through this, as it is a very difficult situation, not to mention scary and stressful. I wish you and your DH the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After several massages on different cruise lines I have decided the price and quality do not compare favorably to my spa at home. A massage at sea is lower quality and higher priced. The only time I get a massage on a ship now is if we have tons of cruise credit and several sea days. I lower my expectations and just hope for quiet hour in a soothing atmosphere. Any physical benefit is a bonus!

Thank you for everyone's well wishes. My husband just wanted me to clarify something. My husband asked the manager what he was doing to do to prevent anyone else from feeling degraded and discriminated against. The manager had no response and no plan. Why not have a clear and concise plan up front, that warns people. Our main concern is that no one else feels the disgrace that he did. There is absolutely no reason to degrade people for having a disease. How many people have not spoken up, and walked away feeling ashamed.

To kqcallahan, my husband wanted me to say when he read your post, it made him even more mad. Its ridiculous Celebrity is letting this company get away with this. We love Celebrity and sail them almost exclusively. We feel they are a quality company. Hopefully they will realize what a low rent operation they have hired to represent the Spa on their outstanding boats.

Reba and your husband, kudos to you both for going on the cruise in spite of your devastating news. I wish you all the best and a successful treatment with a very caring practitioner.

As for CRS, I have been up there, asking questions a few times on different ships and have always found them to be the snootiest and most condescending people I have ever had anything to do with. Even if I had some unused non-refundable OBC near the end of the trip, I would rather have it go unused than give it to them.

My daughter had a whole round of chemo and had weekly massages to help with the stress. My sister has diabetes and has weekly massages also.

Celebrity please bring back Steiner. They were great, their prices were reasonable, their people caring and well trained.

But, why is it when someone has a bad experience with a company, they expect others to boycott the company, because of what they went through?

I really don't understand this comment. The OP's spouse (and she in return) had a dreadful experience. The staff was disrespectful, insensitive, and wrong. he absolutely should make everyone aware of this so that they know under similar circumstances you could expect to experience the same. She's doing YOU and the rest of us a service.

To the OP. I am so sorry that this happened to you and your husband. I so hope that it didn't ruin your vacation. I know what it is like to be given devastating medical news about a loved one (in my case, my child) and to have this happen on the heels of that is just horrible.

I, myself, have found the Canyon Ranch staff on board to be dismissive, rude, unreasonable and purposefully disingenuous (or else I have to conclude they were plain stupid). I will never use or advocate use of their services again.

I really don't understand this comment. The OP's spouse (and she in return) had a dreadful experience. The staff was disrespectful, insensitive, and wrong. he absolutely should make everyone aware of this so that they know under similar circumstances you could expect to experience the same. She's doing YOU and the rest of us a service.

I certainly understand the OP posting about her husband's experience, as a warning to others, as I've previously posted and even thanked the OP for posting about the experience. What I don't understand is calling for a boycott because of this one incident. If you feel differently, that is great, we all have our own opinions.

On my last cruise I had $550 in OBC and used it at the spa and I had no issues. Surprisingly, I found out that many of the spa employees also worked for Steiner before the changeover.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Our recent cruise on the Silhouette was our first with Celebrity and therefore our first with CRS instead of Steiner as the spa vendor. I have to say it was by far the worst spa experience on a shop and the spa is one of my favorite treats. I found the staff arrogant, the pricing full of confusing bait and switch promotions and in the end the massage therapist poor and the hair dresser inept.

This is only tangentially relevant to the OP, I think it goes to CRS looking at their cruise ship operations as a pure profit generator and completely disconnected from their Spas in Arizona and Massachusetts which have a whole different approach. I won't be using them again on ship and think they reflect poorly on Celebrity, where customer service really does seem to matter.

Hi there

My take on this is just a little different. I understand that the OP's position is that they just didn't handle the situation in an understanding way and they were rude.

My initial reaction would have come up as soon as the questionnaire was presented. Why on earth are you giving out (are they asking for) personal medical information to a heath spa employee without understanding why. My suggestion is, just don't do this, at least without asking what they need the information for.

If he had asked, they might have told him of their restrictions. Then he would have been able to make an assessment for himself if they had a valid concern and if not he could just lie (if it was worth it at all). When you get these types of forms you have nothing compelling you to fill it out. Often they are just to protect the company. Don't just give people information because they ask. You have to understand the situation and make decisions for yourself. Think in terms of excursions where they say, not for those with heart conditions, back problems, etc...in the end it is your decision.

hope this helps

My initial reaction would have come up as soon as the questionnaire was presented. Why on earth are you giving out (are they asking for) personal medical information to a heath spa employee without understanding why. My suggestion is, just don't do this, at least without asking what they need the information for.

The first time you go to a spa here in my area, you have to fill out a health questionnaire and if you don't, you can't have any services. They do this because there are some treatments that certain ailments can not do and if you have one of these ailments, you could sue them if they do a treatment on you and something goes wrong or if you don't list an ailment and something goes wrong, the spa would not be held liable.

I know that part of the problem here is the poor attitude by the staff/mgmt but otherwise I'm having a difficult time reading this as discrimination.

I googled this and while I see a lot of blog posts indicating it's a "myth", I don't see a whole lot of actual studies backing it up in either direction. But once the idea is out there, the spa seems like it would be at massive liability risk if just a few people decided they were at fault for a bad outcome of their prognosis. It seems like, overall, a health spa and any situation where other people are touching you/doing things to your muscles and bones must be a lawsuit magnet. Otherwise, why have a health questionnaire in the first place?

I realize this doesn't excuse the poor behavior by the staff, I'm just not sure continuing to try to fight the fight was the best use of time/energy. :/

A local hospital near where I live and volunteer at has a Cancer Wellness Program where they offer everything from fitness programs, mindfulness, nutrition counseling, support groups, etc.. for those who are either in treatment or a survivor. One services they offer is massage therapy.

I don't understand were Canyon Ranch got the idea that massages will cause the cancer to spread.