What happens when the River is Low?

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:06 AM.
Germany
14,227 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by Sopwith
We’re scheduled to sail from Nuremberg to Budapest on Friday, but we’ve been told the stretch of the Danube from Nuremberg to Passau is impassible due to very low water - no rain in the Danube headwaters for over six weeks.
Nope, although the water is currently low on the Danube river the river is closed due to an accident sind Jun 22nd. We had lots of rain during the last 6 weeks here in Munich and our river (Isar) drains into the Danube river as many others here in Southern Bavaria. In some areas we even had severe floodings. In Northern Bavaria (Franconia) they had no rain for weeks now. But Isar, Iller, Lech and Inn river (which are coming from the South) got a good amount of rain.

steamboats
Vancouver, Canada
627 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by steamboats
Nope, although the water is currently low on the Danube river the river is closed due to an accident sind Jun 22nd. We had lots of rain during the last 6 weeks here in Munich and our river (Isar) drains into the Danube river as many others here in Southern Bavaria. In some areas we even had severe floodings. In Northern Bavaria (Franconia) they had no rain for weeks now. But Isar, Iller, Lech and Inn river (which are coming from the South) got a good amount of rain.

steamboats
We are told that the blockage due to the accident was cleared by June 30-July 1. The current blockage is due to low water upstream of the Main-Danube Canal, which obviously can only happen due to low water entering from the headwaters. The Inn River, which enters the Danube at Passau, appeared to have plenty of water, more than the Danube. But that is obviously a different catchment area than the Danube.

We are told as of today the stretch between Regensburg and the Main-Danube Canal is still impassible due to low water.
Vancouver, Canada
627 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We are told that the blockage due to the accident was cleared by June 30-July 1. The current blockage is due to low water upstream of the Main-Danube Canal, which obviously can only happen due to low water entering from the headwaters. The Inn River, which enters the Danube at Passau, appeared to have plenty of water, more than the Danube. But that is obviously a different catchment area than the Danube.

We are told as of today the stretch between Passau and the Main-Danube Canal is still impassible due to low water.
Correction:

We are told that the blockage due to the accident was cleared by June 30-July 1. The current blockage is due to low water downstream of the Main-Danube Canal, which obviously can only happen due to low water entering from the headwaters. The Inn River, which enters the Danube at Passau, appeared to have plenty of water, more than the Danube. But that is obviously a different catchment area than the Danube.

We are told as of today the stretch between Regensburg and the Main-Danube Canal is still impassible due to low water.
Oregon
355 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Can you tell us who is telling you? The resource I normally use to monitor river level indicates that levels are low but not too low for transit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Dallas
34 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
We are cruising the Danube on Scenic 7/19 from Budapest to Prague so very interested in the river levels esp in Passau and Regensburg. Any updates and info are greatly appreciated.
Vancouver, Canada
627 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by jeb_bud
Can you tell us who is telling you? The resource I normally use to monitor river level indicates that levels are low but not too low for transit.

I am aboard the Avalon Panorama right now. Info is from the cruise director and captain. It sounds like one or more of the shallower draft ships going downstream are getting through.
Germany
14,227 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Correction:

We are told that the blockage due to the accident was cleared by June 30-July 1. The current blockage is due to low water downstream of the Main-Danube Canal, which obviously can only happen due to low water entering from the headwaters. The Inn River, which enters the Danube at Passau, appeared to have plenty of water, more than the Danube. But that is obviously a different catchment area than the Danube.

According to the ELWIS page which is the official website for navigation information the blockage was still on after July 1st. The notice was still up when I posted.

The Danube river is not navigable upstream of Kelheim (where the canal starts on the Danube side) except for excurison boats.

I´m totally aware where the Inn river joins the Danube river . There are three more rivers joining the Danube river from the South and we did have lots of rain. Actually we do have currently. I had to hurry inside due to hail and a thunderstorm.

steamboats
Dallas
34 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
I am aboard the Avalon Panorama right now. Info is from the cruise director and captain. It sounds like one or more of the shallower draft ships going downstream are getting through.
''

Thank you
Germany
14,227 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
You can check out this website for low water in Bavaria.

The shallow area is close to Straubing. That´s because there´s no dam/lock close by. They are discussing this situations for more than 30 years.

The notice about the closure is now deleted in ELWIS.

Currently the Danube river is mainly on "low" and only one river gauge is showing "very low". But in that area it shouldn´t be a problem.

The Isar river here in Munich is still on "normal" and the water we had is going to the Danube river now. The Isar river joins the Danube river near Deggendorf.

steamboats
Vancouver, Canada
627 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I spoke to the Captain this morning. He said some traffic is now getting through, but a cargo ship grounded in the German section of the Danube yesterday. He felt confident that he would be able to get through on his return trip from Budapest next week.
Germany
14,227 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I spoke to the Captain this morning. He said some traffic is now getting through, but a cargo ship grounded in the German section of the Danube yesterday. He felt confident that he would be able to get through on his return trip from Budapest next week.
There´s nothing in ELWIS about this and no news in any media.

steamboats
Oregon
355 Posts
Joined Mar 2015

Hi Sopwith, I was just checking the location of the Panorama on some ship tracking websites and according to them you are in Vienna or Regensburg. The majority say Vienna.

So I was just wondering, where is the ship actually? Also are you on your way to or from the shallow stretch? I would love to hear whether you made/make it through.

Vancouver, Canada
627 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by jeb_bud
Hi Sopwith, I was just checking the location of the Panorama on some ship tracking websites and according to them you are in Vienna or Regensburg. The majority say Vienna.

So I was just wondering, where is the ship actually? Also are you on your way to or from the shallow stretch? I would love to hear whether you made/make it through.

We arrived in Vienna late afternoon Tuesday, departed 5:00 pm Wednesday for Budapest, ETA 9:00 am Thursday.

The ship did not make it through the shallow stretch. We were supposed to board the Expression in Nuremburg, but because neither ship could get through we were diverted to the Panorama in Passau.
Middle of Tennessee
3,444 Posts
Joined May 2003
You might check this website:
http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/river-levels
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

LAST CRUISE: July 2018 - Viking River cruise on the Rhone in Provence plus "on-our-own trip" to Normandy D-Day beaches, Bayeux tapestries & Paris.
CRUISE HISTORY = 53 cruises (1 Transatlantic, 1 Rhine River, 1 Rhone River/Provence, 1 Danube River, 5 Alaska, 4 Panama Canal, 1 California coastal, 1 Hawaii, 2 NewEngl/Canada & 36 Eastern/Western/Southern Caribbean) 466 days.
1 cruise on VIKING OCEAN: Viking Sea to eastern Caribbean from NYC to SJU in Oct. 2017.....most amazing ship!!
3 on VIKING RIVER: Sun (Rhine River Antwerp-Basel 14 days), Bragi (Danube River Budapest-Nurmberg 7 days), Heimdal (Rhone River Avignon-Lyon Provence 7 days)
26 cruises PRINCESS: Grand 5x; old Crown 3x, Caribbean 4x, Ruby 2x, Sun 2x, Dawn, Diamond, Ocean, Sea, Island, Coral, new Crown 2x, Royal & Regal (214 days)
9 on HOLLAND: Nieuw Amsterdam, Statendam, Westerdam 3x, Volendam, Veendam 2x, Zuiderdam -- 3 Star (77 days)
7 on CELEBRITY: Millennium, Solstice, Silhouette, Century, Reflection, Summit 2x (48 days)
6 on ROYAL CARIB: Radiance 2x, Brilliance, Voyager of Seas, Independence of Seas 2x (55 days)
1 on CARNIVAL Triumph (7 days)
Phoenix, AZ
326 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I was scheduled to board an ama waterways cruise on the Danube on Sunday July 15 in Nuremberg. They just contacted me saying that we will be bussed from Nuremberg on Sunday to Vilsofen to embark there due to low water.
Vancouver, Canada
627 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We disembarked the Avalon Panorama this morning. The cruise director said the water level is down again between Nuremburg and Passau, sounds like more trouble ahead.
Dallas
34 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Thank you for the updates, not really what any of us are wanting to hear or experience and sorry you are having to go through it and hopefully it becomes a minor inconvenience and your trip was wonderful.
I do see rain in the forecast, not sure if it is enough to change the situation any time soon but hope it does. We will be in that area around the 23rd on Scenic. I have cruised from Budapest to Passau and was hoping to get to Nuremberg without issue fingers crossed.
Germany
14,227 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
According to the "low water information service" (I translated this for you) the river levels are now down to "very low" (orange dots) between the Canal and Deggendorf. Further downriver it´s still "low" (yellow dots).

We are supposed to have a pretty hot weekend (90ies) and no rain exept for maybe some thunderstorms.

steamboats
Calabasas, CA, USA
12,170 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
We fly out to Prague early tomorrow morning for a Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe" cruise...3 nights in Prague, two nights in Budapest, then board the ship for 7 nights followed by one night in Bucharest...
Was supposed to be on Viking Aegir...
A few minutes ago, we received an email from Viking (slightly edited to keep it short):

"Dear Viking Guest,
Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming European voyage. This message is to let you know that the Danube River is currently experiencing low water levels. As a consequence, your ship, Viking Aegir, is unable to reach Budapest for your departure.
As a consequence, you will not embark Viking Aegir ... You will instead be welcomed on board identical sister ship Viking Embla.
Please accept our apologies for this change so close to your departure, but rest assured it will not alter your cruise experience in any way. Like Viking Aegir, Viking Embla is a state-of-the-art Longship, featuring all the same comforts and style as the rest of the Viking Longship fleet...
We look forward to welcoming you on board and wish you a wonderful journey.
Sincerely,
Customer Relations--Viking"

Sounds like they are saying everything will be the same--just a different ship???
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next:
12/22/18 Celebrity Millennium Asia 14 nt
6/26/19 Celebrity Reflection Baltic 12 nt
7/8/19 Celebrity Reflection British Isles 12 nt

Viking Aegir 13 nt Danube 7/18*
Celebrity Millennium Alaska-7 nt 6/18*RCCL Navigator S Caribbean 9 nt 12/17*HAL Maasdam 7 nt Canada 7/17*RCCL Jewel 7 nt Greece 7/17*RCCL Jewel 7 nt W Med 6/17*Ruby Princess 8 nt Mex Riviera 12/16*Celebrity Constellation 13 nt Iberia 7/16*Celebrity Silhouette 7 nt W. Carib 3/16*Star Princess 5 nt Cabo 11/15*Celebrity Xpedition 10 nt Galapagos 7/15*Celebrity Millennium 7 nt Alaska 6/15*Crown Princess 3 nt Baja 1/15*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/14*Viking Emerald 17 nt China 6/14*RCCL Allure 7 nt E. Carib 1/14*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/13*Celebrity Silhouette 13 nt Adriatic 6/13*RCCL Mariner 7 nt W. Carib 12/12*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Iceland/Norway 7/12*Celebrity Century 13 nt Australia/New Zealand 12/11-12*Oceania Marina 16 nt W. Europe 8/11*Carnival Paradise 3 nt Baja 2/11*RCCL Allure 7 nt W. Carib 1/11*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Baltic 7/10*Celebrity Summit 7 nt S. Carib 3/10*RCCL Mariner 7 nt Mex Riviera 1/10*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med/Egypt/Israel 6/09*RCCL Mariner 1 nt Pre-Inaugural 2/09*Sapphire Princess 7 nt Mex Riviera 12/08-9*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt Baltic 7/08*RCCL Vision 7 nt Mex Riviera 3/08*Carnival Liberty, 8 nt Panama 7/07*RCCL Liberty 7 nt W. Caribbean 6/07*RCCL Monarch 5 nt Baja 1/07*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med 7/06*RCCL Monarch 3 nt Baja 4/06*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt N. Europe 7/05*Celebrity Constellation 7 nt S. Carib 3/05*Celebrity Summit 13 nt Alaska Cruisetour 7/04*RCCL Monarch 3 nt Baja 1/04*Celebrity Millennium 13 nt Med 8/03*RCCL Grandeur 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/02*Crown Princess, 10 nt Baltic/Russia 8/01*Carnival Elation 7 nt Mex Riviera 8/00*RCCL Grandeur 7 nt E. Carib 8/98*Carnival Jubilee 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/97*RCCL Viking Serenade 4 nt Baja 7/96*RCCL Viking Serenade 3 nt Baja 6/94*Norwegian Southward 3 nt Baja 12/89*Premier Atlantic 7 nt Disney 3/89