Do I really need a light down jacket for July?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:36 PM.
Wisconsin
329 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by ollienbertsmum
I was there during the same days and wished that I had brought my thick down jacket. Maybe not for Ketchikan, but certainly up to Skagway.
Hence, again--this question is nearly impossible to answer. Way too subjective. What is cold or warm to one is not to another.
Colorful Colorado
203 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We're sailing next week. We're from Colorado and used to extreme temps both high and low. I'm only taking light rain jackets, one long sleeve shirt and a beanie. Temps usually have to be in the single digits for me to put on gloves and a scarf. Temps in the 50s are still considered shorts weather where I'm from lol ....I too think temps are subjective. If you're from a climate where you are used to cold, take what you'd normally wear. If you're from a warmer climate and not used to lower temps, take more layers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RC Vision of the Seas 2005 (Cabo San Lucas / Mazatlan / Puerto Vallarta)
RC Navigator of the Seas 2006 (San Juan / St. Thomas / St. Maarten / Bahamas)
RC Mariner of the Seas 2008 (San Juan / St. Thomas / St. Maarten)
RC Voyager of the Seas 2009 (Roatan / Costa Maya / Cozumel)
RC Liberty of the Seas 2017 (Roatan / Belize City / Cozumel)
RC Explorer of the Seas 2018 (Juneau / Skagway / Victoria)
ave
Sacramento, California
1,371 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by jenni belle
We're sailing next week. We're from Colorado and used to extreme temps both high and low. I'm only taking light rain jackets, one long sleeve shirt and a beanie. Temps usually have to be in the single digits for me to put on gloves and a scarf. Temps in the 50s are still considered shorts weather where I'm from lol ....I too think temps are subjective. If you're from a climate where you are used to cold, take what you'd normally wear. If you're from a warmer climate and not used to lower temps, take more layers.
Though another factor is wind & humidity. In Alaska, it is often a very wet 50 degrees. That makes it feel colder. There was a time when I had regular business trips to Colorado and it was routinely so dry there that I got in the habit of touching my car door first with the key because of the static electricity spark. It's dry enough that snow subliminates rather than waiting to melt first.

On the deck of a ship, it is often pretty windy too.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app
Tomball, Texas
613 Posts
Joined May 2007
We decided to go with layers for our upcoming trip in late August, when I believe it can be warmer or freezing! LOL who knows, we are going with tshirts short sleeve and long, hoodies/fleeces, fleece vest, rain jackets that fold up into small waterproof backpacks, along with gloves, North Face fleeced hat and scarf. and lots of socks! I have waterproof tennis shoes and regular tennis shoes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
11. Carnival Breeze - Eastern May 2018
10.Carnival Valor - Cozumel March 2018
9.Carnival Vista - Southern Carribean August 2017
8.Carnival Valor - Western May 2017
7.Carnival Breeze - Western Sept 2016
6.Carnival Magic - Exotic May 2015
5.Carnival Magic - Western August 2014
4.Carnival Triumph - Western September 2013
3.Carnival Magic - Eastern October 2012
2.Carnival Conquest - Western May 2011
1.Carnival Conquest - Western August 2007
Long Island, New York
327 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Thanks for the thread. We are cruising Alaska next week. I just ordered a packable down jacket while reading this thread. $49 from Am***n.

BTW, I’m also bringing a pair of Timberland black waterproof hiking boots. I’ll wear them on the ship if it’s raining, off the ship no matter what, maybe even the MDR with a smart pair of grey pants
Tennessee
3 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Buying one if needed is my decision (we're cruising in Sept). I'm in the market for a new one, anyway. A friend who cruised a few years ago said she bought the best coat she's ever had at one of the stops on her cruise. DH didn't think that was a great idea, but if $20 is accurate, that might change his mind!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coral Princess - September 2018
400 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
countingmomma: I've bought a jacket on all three of my Alaskan cruises. The first one was on a clearance rack and I think I paid $15. The other two were $19.95. It's been a couple of years, so hopefully that hasn't changed.

A couple of caveats though; First there will be a logo of some kind. Usually the name of the town you are in, i.e. Juneau, Ketchikan, etc. Second, if you buy it in the first shop you see because it is raining harder then you thought it would, be prepared to see your jacket all over town. My sister had a great time all day long pointing at people and saying "Look, there's your jacket".
Sacramento, California
1,371 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by countingmomma
Buying one if needed is my decision (we're cruising in Sept). I'm in the market for a new one, anyway. A friend who cruised a few years ago said she bought the best coat she's ever had at one of the stops on her cruise. DH didn't think that was a great idea, but if $20 is accurate, that might change his mind!
The $20 jackets are generally water-resistant with a fleece lining. They are jackets, not coats typically going to mid-thigh.

Don't expect a down jacket (or even synthetic equivalent), water-proof breathable or a winter coat for that price.
Generally most find them adequate for an Alaska summer though I prefer to have something that is water-proof, breathable rather than water-resistant. I also prefer to have the shell and fleece as two separate pieces so I can wear the water-proof layer with insulation when it is rainy but not that cold or wear just the fleece when it isn't rainy or windy and I just want a little insulation.
17 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
We cruised July 1-8. We took packable down jackets and only wore them in Tracy Arm (scenic cruising) and on our helicopter ride and glacier walk in Skagway. We appreciated having them, but we also probably would have been fine without them as long as we had a couple good layers and a hat.