Insurance

alidor

I am planning on a round the world trip in 2021 and I am a single. My cost is about $135,000 (yes, I know it’s expensive, but...). My agent says she can find insurance to cover $100,000 but not over that. I would prefer any type of insurance rather than Regent’s. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Go to insuremyluxurytravel.com They have insured more than that amount and when you get to the site call and ask for Chuck Burns. They have taken great care of us for years and their underwriters are Berkshire Hathaway. The best. We have insured more than 150K.

Edited by MalbecWine

I am planning on a round the world trip in 2021 and I am a single. My cost is about $135,000 (yes, I know it’s expensive, but...). My agent says she can find insurance to cover $100,000 but not over that. I would prefer any type of insurance rather than Regent’s. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Smart person. Really easy to do on your own. We always use Steve at tripinsurancestore.com. Their website will allow you to get quotes and compare and their staff is wonderfully knowledgeable and guide you in the right direction. They get paid by the insurers and your cost is the same as it would be if you book direct.

Can't be sure if you can insure for the amount you are looking for plus the length of your cruise can cause issues as well but, Steve and his staff know all that there is to know about travel insurance. And, no high pressure or any pressure for that matter.

I say, shop them both as they are both great choices and rated very high. Just price compare. Insurance is a necessary evil when you put out big bucks. Yes, it’s expensive but beats losing all of it if god forbid something happens. We never travel without insurance on high end travel.

It is still best to talk to them. Sometimes the quotes are not accurate on their sites. Caveat Emptor. Get a direct quote on the phone from them. They will e-mail you the policy. Also, keep in mind to tell them of any pre existing conditions that you need to have covered.

We actually use the search engines for the research but book with the actual insurers. i know. Those sides don't make money on us but the insurers do. LOL.

No need for us to call the insurers (unless we have questions). We just fill the data out using their websites.

Their sites have the actual one we pay.

In fact, just used this approach last week.

Good luck with all of this.

Keith

We have found talking to the agent about specific issues that may be of concern to you is better and they will modify the policy for your needs and put you at ease. We do not take any policy over the Internet. Just look at the quotes and verify them with the agent. Our TA relays all the information and then we get a personal call to go over everything that we need which will include land or sea travel. It depends on what your travel plans are.

We would never cover ourselves over the Internet with a quote. We have saved hundreds talking directly and getting the best policy speaking with the owner and have done business with them for many years.

We actually use the search engines for the research but book with the actual insurers. i know. Those sides don't make money on us but the insurers do. LOL.

No need for us to call the insurers (unless we have questions). We just fill the data out using their websites.

Their sites have the actual one we pay.

In fact, just used this approach last week.

Good luck with all of this.

Keith

As usual, I agree with you. Also, I need to see everything in writing and therefore prefer to read everything that is covered or not covered along with exclusions before booking. A person on the telephone can make mistakes (example is the information/misinformation that we receive when calling the corporate offices of cruise lines).

All we can do on this thread is give names of companies that we have had good experiences with -- we cannot really make accurate recommendations since we do not know ages, disabilities, etc. (nor should we). Age plays a major role in rates and perhaps a difference in exclusions. This generally isn't a "one fits all" situation.

I have a preexisting condition so it is important for us to get this included. It does raise the price. In our experience the insurance companies have a very set time to get the insurance policy from time of deposit to cover preexisting conditions. Also, it is important to have preexisting conditions covered if concerned about older parents.

Go to insuremyluxurytravel.com They have insured more than that amount and when you get to the site call and ask for Chuck Burns. They have taken great care of us for years and their underwriters are Berkshire Hathaway. The best. We have insured more than 150K.

ABSOLUTELY. They are the best.

Check out Berkshire Hathaway at bhtp.com. I found an excellent policy for less than any other company that I checked (may not have checked them all) and better coverage. $100,000 Medical and $1,000,000.00 Emergency Evacuation. Worth running the numbers.

As usual, I agree with you. Also, I need to see everything in writing and therefore prefer to read everything that is covered or not covered along with exclusions before booking. A person on the telephone can make mistakes (example is the information/misinformation that we receive when calling the corporate offices of cruise lines).

All we can do on this thread is give names of companies that we have had good experiences with -- we cannot really make accurate recommendations since we do not know ages, disabilities, etc. (nor should we). Age plays a major role in rates and perhaps a difference in exclusions. This generally isn't a "one fits all" situation.

You are absolutely correct.

I too recommend reading what is in print. On the rare occasion that I call the insurance company directly it might be to ask a question that is more unique about that particular trip to be sure that either I am filling out the form correctly or whether or not something is covered but when it comes to the latter no matter what they tell me verbally I need them to show me where it states that in writing. For me in the old days I used to obtain policies by telephone but the last many years I take my time and use the internet. That way I can read everything and for that matter fill out the form knowing that I am transcribing everything correctly.

I also agree with you that there is not one policy that fits all and you are right that so many factors come into play such as age. In fact we have gone with different policies driven by factors such as age, health, the type of trip we are booked for and changes to the policy that is offered by a respective insurance company.

The devil is in the details.

Keith

Used Chuck for my last trip and he was easy to work with ,always followed up on phone calls and sent clear quotes via email. Thankfully I had no issues to deal with this time. Have used other companies that I was not so thrilled with when I had to put in a claim.

Chuck is one of the best in the industry and very precise to your needs or concerns. He e-mails me the policy to look at before we pay and gives us the best insurance and highlights what’s important to us. I don’t like reading pages of stuff that do not even apply to our travels.

Yes, Chuck does follow up by phone before and even a courtesy call after our trips. We would never buy cruise lines insurance. They are very expensive and have too many loopholes. All the lines sell their own insurance which I do not recommend.

LoonCall, so glad you were satisfied as well.